Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2005 7:36:30 AM EDT
I don't know squat about it, but it looks like it may sting a little based on how the kids were jumping around.  Are these the guns that shoot the little yellow balls?

Here is what happend.  I move into my new house.  

+1  Neighbors across the street are Husker fans.  Me too
+1  Her family is filled with bird hunters, say hello to my bird dog.
+1  Her Brother plays for the Raiders.  My Husker buddy played for the Raiders
+1  She says "Hope you don't mind our sons, they are always running around with their guns playing war."  All I hear is guns but I tell her no problem, I own all the real ones and you will see me in the driveway with mine too.  Your kids can use my yard all they want.

So I come home the other day with a truck load to a running gun battle going back and forth across the street.  Kids in my front yard and theirs.  Using trees, skate board ramps flipped up to use as cover.  I loved it!  So I went inside and set the dog on them.  She flushed them out from their cover (older kids) so younger kids got in some good shots.  The guns all looked like AR's and 1911's.  Wholly crap, this is great!  

All I kept thinking was how great a position my front porch would make for a third party sniper (me).

Later that night I come back and see a chalk line drawn across the street and written in big letters:

DANGER
WAR ZONE

So my daughter and I need in on this action.  I need supressing fire and sniper fire.  Any suggestions?

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 9:41:23 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
+1  She says "Hope you don't mind our sons, they are always running around with their guns playing war."  All I hear is guns

LMAO.

So my daughter and I need in on this action.

The gas-powered Airsoft guns can pack a pretty decent wallop (but are only really "dangerous" to unprotected eyes). I've got a G18 gas gun that I use for indoor training purposes; it's a hoot. The electric or spring powered guns, while much cheaper, are also much less potent.  I got mine from www.backyardsafari.com; they usually have a table at the Indy 1500.  I don't have any firsthand experience with the Airsoft long guns.

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 1:58:29 PM EDT
[#2]
As Shooter521 mentioned- eye protection is a must.

Cheaperthandirt/Sportsmansguide sell $50 cheapie full-auto rechargeable electric guns.

p.s.: Cornhusker fans?

GO BIG RED!
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 2:15:25 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
p.s.: Cornhusker fans?

GO BIG RED!

I wonder if Tom Osborn plays airsoft?

Yeah, I think I am going to give all the kids goggles.  No one is wearing eye protection!  Don't  these kids watch the movie Christmas Story?

I will go Freakin' full auto on their asses then set the hounds of war on them too!

Thanks for the info

Zoub
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 2:36:46 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't know anything about the equipment, other than they seem to be pretty realistic copies of "real" guns, as opposed to Paintball equipment.  K-Mart has dumped pretty much all of their ammunition, but they have a DPMS airsoft AR-15 behind the counter.  I think Armalite makes one too.

I did see an article on it once, mostly said that it was good for "live fire" training at short ranges, but long range accuracy was limited by the quality of the plastic BBs.   Something about them having bubbles that upset the balance or somthing like that.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:08:02 AM EDT
[#5]
There are alot of different types -

Some police agencies use the high end stuff for training due to the realistic nature of the "guns" -

There are three types - Spring power - Air powered - and Electric Powered -

For a sniper type gun - I would go for an air powered (co2) - and a "supressing fire" gun would be an electric -

The gas ones work very much like a real gun - It uses the gas to recock the gun - and discharge the bullet - some of the high end "sniper" rifles even use shells to shoot the bb out (more accurate) - And then the shell discharges just like a real gun

The electrics use motors

Do a google search for "Airsoft" and you will pull up alot of retailers - They ranges from the crappy wal-mart ones (10$) all the way to 400 and 500 dollars for an AR-15 replica

I dont know if youve ever paintballed - But I personally think if you get GOOD gear and you and your friend take it serious - Airsoft can be alot more fun than paintball do to the realistic nature

P.S. - Co2 ones hurt like hell
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 9:48:11 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Tell me about airsoft

It sucks.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:37:05 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Tell me about airsoft

It sucks.

Nice adding to your post count with another useless post

To add something useful to this thread..

I dabbled in it for a bit..it's really fun, despite what the hive mind here thinks. If you play with a group you can trust to call themselves out when hit,  it's fun.

What I like about it as opposed to paintball, is that you can use replicas of firearms you might own, it's useful for realistic training and it can help strengthen your skills, for when you cannot get out to the range with your real firearms.

To get a paintball gun that looks like a real M4, is more expensive than a airsoft gun.

One thing though, you need to suggest that those kids use eye protection. That would end the fun real quick if a kid gets an eye hurt.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 2:54:08 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Tell me about airsoft

It sucks.

My opinion; don't like it; tough shit.  Could care less about "post count' or you.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 3:05:51 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Tell me about airsoft

It sucks.

My opinion; don't like it; tough shit.  Could care less about "post count' or you.

Right back at you sparky...but then again, I never cared what you had to say..
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:19:46 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It sucks.

Way to shit in a perfectly good thread, both of you.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:37:42 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It sucks.

Way to shit in a perfectly good thread, both of you.

But at least I did answer his question , unlike someone's post...
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 8:37:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Airsoft still sucks.
(For the sensitive and faint of heart; it's my opinion. )
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:58:06 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Airsoft still sucks.

Not if I am causing pain to small children.

You guys missed some of the jist of my post.

I come home from a long day at work.  fairly long drive home too. I pull up in my drive way.  Walk in the back door and out the front door. Take up a position on my covered front porch, join the battle at hand and begin to dish out random pain and suffering to the kids as I see fit.

I know what I need now.  I need two full auto and maybe one of the co2 guns so I can reach and "touch" them.  Yeah, I have a plan now.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:25:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Here is an Armalite on ebay, these are all metal & made by a company that knows what an AR-15 looks like.  
http://cgi.ebay.com/CA-ARMALITE-M15A4-RIFLE-AIRSOFT-PACKAGE-NIB_W0QQitemZ7184624870QQcategoryZ64635QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

If you want a good sniper rifle than you might look at a PSG1. They look like the real thing
http://cgi.ebay.com/TOKYO-MAURI-PSG1-SNIPER-RIFLE-LIKE-NEW_W0QQitemZ7183731680QQcategoryZ64635QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 10:21:53 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Airsoft still sucks.

Not if I am causing pain to small children.

You guys missed some of the jist of my post.

I come home from a long day at work.  fairly long drive home too. I pull up in my drive way.  Walk in the back door and out the front door. Take up a position on my covered front porch, join the battle at hand and begin to dish out random pain and suffering to the kids as I see fit.

I know what I need now.  I need two full auto and maybe one of the co2 guns so I can reach and "touch" them.  Yeah, I have a plan now.

Very good ! As long as YOU are happy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top