Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/6/2005 2:10:46 PM EDT
I love the one I went to today. 6 stages, about  160 rounds plus for rifle, 100 for pistol, 35 or so in shot of slugs and birdshot.  Im hot, dirty, tired, I stink and I cant wipe the smile off my face.  The down side is the work in setup and teardown and helping scorekeep and RO.
We kind of went nonIPSC a bit by using IDPA targets but who gives a shit.  
Hey Rhino I missed getting to talk to you much but there is always Atlanta next time.  
Where was Big Dave?
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 3:43:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I had a great time, too!  Thank you very much for all of your hard work, Kent!  Thank you also to everyone else who helped with the match!

I did fine on the actual shooting (especially with rifle), but I had some expected difficulties with some of the physical stuff.  I'm always going to be slow getting up from prone (at least I got the six clays in with seven shots), and a couple of place had some "gratuitous movement" (i.e. where you couldn't shoot), but it was still a lot of fun.

I missed two of the disappearing targets because of trigger freeze!  I was waiting for the first target to present after I hit the button, and it seemed like a long, long, LONG time.  I got a little too excited while I was waiting, so when I transitioned to the second of the three, I pressed the trigger really hard and nothing happened.  By the time I realized I need to do something (like an immediated action drill or just let the trigger reset), the other two were gone.  That's ten extra seconds I didn't need!

I had the most trouble on the shotgun stage on the plate rack range.  I just couldn't safely get around that right side and stay in the box and still see the targets, so I took a long, long time just blasting.  Had to reload twice!  On the low port, there was no way in hell I could see through it AND keep my knees on the carpet.  I ended up with both elbows on the ground, with the shotgun NOT mounted on my shoulder.  Every time I fired, the stock or my hand clocked me in the cheek under my right eye.  I ran dry with two left, and just took the misses (I was only loaded with seven, I think).  I think I'm going to have a little shiner tomorrow!

Oh, on stage six ... I unloaded my rifle and was proceeding to show clear, when it became apparent that I had not engaged the four targets to the right.  I had to reload and shoot them after standing there like a doofus for about fifteen seconds.  On the bright side, I hit the heads on all four.  I think I was down five or six for that whole stage.

BigDave wanted to be there (badly), but he had to work!  The poor dude!  He would have done really well, I think.  I would have been surprised if he hadn't won the whole thing, but since he was not there ...

Again, a lot of fun!  Thanks to all who made it possible!

Link Posted: 8/6/2005 5:58:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Where was the match in question held?

Link Posted: 8/6/2005 6:26:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Wildcat Valley Rifle and Pistol Club
Brookston, IN  (North of West Lafayette)
It was definitely a good time!
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 1:56:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Hell I forgot all about pushing the button, I just did the pistol stuff went prone and got pissed off at the clays and jumped up, reloaded and ran down range. We had several shooters totally forget to push the button untill they showed clear.
I shot the stage 6 with all rifle basicly and the close targets with rifle had mud showering all over me and Mr. RO. He yelled about pasters at me cause I was dumping 4 and 5 shots into each target from the hip. At least I didnt scream "DIE MOTHERFUCKER" while I was doing it
Bad part was we had 4 DQ's I know of. 2 were droped guns and 2 were leaving a loaded gun behind.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:13:33 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Yeah, it was a good match.  They're making us look bad at AtlantaCC!

Did you ever get that case out of your chamber?

Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:19:22 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Hell I forgot all about pushing the button, I just did the pistol stuff went prone and got pissed off at the clays and jumped up, reloaded and ran down range. We had several shooters totally forget to push the button untill they showed clear.

I don't feel as bad, then!  

I still prefer USPSA-style scoring, although I understand why they want to do it the IDPA way.

Quoted:
I shot the stage 6 with all rifle basicly and the close targets with rifle had mud showering all over me and Mr. RO. He yelled about pasters at me cause I was dumping 4 and 5 shots into each target from the hip. At least I didnt scream "DIE MOTHERFUCKER" while I was doing it
Bad part was we had 4 DQ's I know of. 2 were droped guns and 2 were leaving a loaded gun behind.

I did pretty much the same thing.  I used my pistol on the swinger, then I reloaded and holstered it.  I wanted to just reholster, but I've been conditioned to always reload when I can instead of when I have to.  I'm glad I was wearing my (mandatory) eye protection on those targets in the "hallway."  After I was finished, I found a good sized rock stuck to my glasses with a bit of mud.  That would have sucked without glasses!

Most of the guys in my squad used the table as a brace to shoot the long targets, but I did it on my hind paws.  
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:22:53 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Where was the match in question held?

HI forward most of the their match announcements to our AtlantaCC list.  Hmmm ... apparently I had not added you to my e-mail list before just now.    Sorry about that!

I'm surprised you aren't on the Wildcat e-mail list though, since you're a member!
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:11:25 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Only to get another one stuck. I'm kinda disappointed in my new rifle. I had to borrow a rifle (and brass cased ammo) to shoot the match.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 11:23:41 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Only to get another one stuck. I'm kinda disappointed in my new rifle. I had to borrow a rifle (and brass cased ammo) to shoot the match.

Does that mean you were shooting Wolf?  That's pretty common, actually.

You might want to check the chamber for burrs too.  A little polishing should take care of that!
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 12:45:05 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Man  see what you get for using commie ammo in a western freedom loving rifle?
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 12:58:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Yeah, I know. Commie ammo in commie guns. What spoiled me though was my last Bushmaster. I put 10000 rounds of Brown Bear through that thing and it was so reliable it was scary. I guess it's unrealistic to expect that from all AR's. Anyway I'd like to thank the good folks of Wildcat Valley for putting on a great match and thank Jim for loaning me his rifle.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:05:49 PM EDT
[#12]
My face is sore where the shotgun kept hitting me on Saturday.
Top Top