Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/30/2004 8:10:47 AM EDT
My wife wants to gun hunt for deer this year, so I bought her a new youth model .410 last night at a local gunshop as an early anniversary present. To make it officially hers, she filled out the 4473 herself. I had her take her CCW permit, in order to exempt her from the NICS check. Well, lo and behold, they don't exempt anyone from the NICS check anymore. And to top it off, her transfer was DELAYED. What gives there? We had to drive all the way home emptyhanded, and she was really anticipating shooting it today. The dealer said that if they didn't hear anything sooner, we could pick it up on Thursday, November 4.

I'd bought her a Remington 870 20-gauge youth shotgun with fully-rifled slug barrel a couple of years ago, but after 5 slugs through it, she refused to shoulder it again and sold it. Hopefully this .410 will be more to her liking.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 12:22:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Yup, our state police check for a carry permit does not meet BATF regs to exempt the holder from NICS as of a year or so ago.  I got a letter from the ATF in September '03 stating that as of a specific date in October '03 NICS checks would have to be performed on all Indiana residents.  THe carry permit does exempt the purchaser from going through the state police check for a handgun purchase still.

I tried to raise a stink about it but no one seemed to think it was a big deal at the time.  I even had people tell me that it was a good thing that Indiana was not living up to BATF expectations.  Go figure.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 1:09:15 PM EDT
[#2]
That happened quite often when I was in the Gun business in Florida. Seemed to be alot of people with a common name had that happen to them, but some also with uncommon names. Most of the time it really did help for them to put there social security number on the form.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 2:37:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I own the lightest recoiling .410 ever made.  Or at least it seems like it.

The saiga .410 is as soft as it gets!  Next time we meet to shoot I will bring it along.  Some day I'm going to buy the rusky removable scope mount that goes on the side of the reciever.  A scoped semi-auto .410 with slugs in a 10 round mag is damn near a sub gun.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 2:39:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 2:53:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 8:03:51 AM EDT
[#6]
M4, You should have bought it from me. What are you thinking? The NICS has been mandated since Oct. 03 Kinda dumb because ISP does the exact same check and uses the same NICS system as the FBI. The 2 groups just couldn't get things together so it went this way. Having the Carry permit does exempt you from the ISP check but still FBI NICS is required. Anyhow, I could have probably saved you some money on that gun. Don't know what you paid, but check with me when you need regular guns. I don't just deal in C3.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 1:01:16 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
M4, You should have bought it from me. What are you thinking? The NICS has been mandated since Oct. 03 Kinda dumb because ISP does the exact same check and uses the same NICS system as the FBI. The 2 groups just couldn't get things together so it went this way. Having the Carry permit does exempt you from the ISP check but still FBI NICS is required. Anyhow, I could have probably saved you some money on that gun. Don't know what you paid, but check with me when you need regular guns. I don't just deal in C3.

Shameless plug for Jigga the Can Man!  Didn't see ya at the show Saturday, just as well, I was mad at you for taking all that money from me!  BTW can I get another 600rds. of the M855 in strippers!?
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 1:37:16 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
M4, You should have bought it from me. What are you thinking?

Yeah, then I could have drove one hour home empty-handed instead of 10 minutes.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 4:54:19 PM EDT
[#9]
She picked up her shotgun tonight after a 3-day delay.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 9:12:36 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
www.hunt101.com/img/129819.JPG

Where did you get that? How much was it?

I need one for this:
members.aol.com/sparsky/Guns/mb2.jpg

BTW- Don't you just hate hi-jackers??

I bought mine (10 round mag) in 2000, BEFORE they became affraid to sell them to civillians.   saw them go as high as $150 but I assume with the death of the ban we can get them again?  I need to look around for some too.

Almost forgot, I got mine at Wyatt's in Cicero, but I doubt he would have any lying around.  Back then I bought the last ones he had in stock.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 2:09:47 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
M4, You should have bought it from me. What are you thinking?

Yeah, then I could have drove one hour home empty-handed instead of 10 minutes.

At least you could have fondled your cans! LOL
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 2:10:46 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Shameless plug for Jigga the Can Man!  Didn't see ya at the show Saturday, just as well, I was mad at you for taking all that money from me!  BTW can I get another 600rds. of the M855 in strippers!?

I'll see if I got more of it. That was a good deal huh? I told you I'd sell it to you right. I guess thats why you dump all your money on me!
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 2:25:39 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
My wife wants to gun hunt for deer this year, so I bought her a new youth model .410 last night at a local gunshop as an early anniversary present. To make it officially hers, she filled out the 4473 herself. I had her take her CCW permit, in order to exempt her from the NICS check. Well, lo and behold, they don't exempt anyone from the NICS check anymore. And to top it off, her transfer was DELAYED. What gives there?

Concealed Carry license usually precludes NICS call? I do not call NICS on licensed customers in Texas.

Delayed is no big deal. What it could be is that there is someone who meets many of the descriptions of your bride and is a criminal. This will cause them to delve deeper into the issue and not issue an instant approval.

3 business days is the longest you'll have to wait.

Now, I'd go to another firearms dealer and ask them if the NICS check is necessary.. I don't get that...could be and Indiana thing..we don't play that shit here in Texas.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 2:27:06 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Yup, our state police check for a carry permit does not meet BATF regs to exempt the holder from NICS as of a year or so ago.  I got a letter from the ATF in September '03 stating that as of a specific date in October '03 NICS checks would have to be performed on all Indiana residents.  THe carry permit does exempt the purchaser from going through the state police check for a handgun purchase still.

I tried to raise a stink about it but no one seemed to think it was a big deal at the time.  I even had people tell me that it was a good thing that Indiana was not living up to BATF expectations.  Go figure.

NEVERMIND>>JUST READ THIS POST>>>IT IS AN INDIANA DEAL
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top