Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/15/2004 4:31:42 PM EDT
Guys, "TheCommissioner" and I met this afternoon at his rural property just south of Loogootee in Martin County to discuss a possible Hoosier AR15.COM shoot. We have been discussing this behind the scenes for probably the last 6 months and are trying to finalize everything. The property consists of an open hilltop area with a pond surrounded by woods on all sides. There is a utility right-of-way (powercut) transversing this hilltop. The powercut has a very nice earthen hill which would make an excellent backstop. In the highly unlikely event that an errant round should go over the high berm, there are absolutely no residential dwellings for miles beyond it. All in all, a pretty ideal situation.

Now for specifics:

"TheCommissioner" is Paul McFeaters, who is the Republican candidate for State Representative for District 63. Basically, Paul is very pro-Second Amendment, which should be obvious from his long-term membership here. Heck, he'll probably have one of the largest "evil" firearm collections in the Indiana Legislature if elected. More information on him can be viewed HERE. Anyway, Paul is considering hosting a shoot on his rural property to raise campaign funds for this hard election fight. He's already spent many, many thousands of his own dollars and hours on his campaign, not to mention those donated by his many supporters. He is considering accepting unlimited campaign donations (with a minumum amount per person to be determined after judging interest in this event) as the entrance fee to this shoot. ALL CAMPAIGN FINANCE LAWS WILL BE STRICTLY ADHERED TO. Paul would request that contributions be made via check or money order so that all funds can be accounted for by his campaign treasurer. He wants no cash to be accepted. Any legal firearms are welcome, with machineguns and suppressors being REALLY welcome. His biggest concern is going to be having enough available parking, which will be in a mowed area directly off the road. From the parking area, a walk up a mowed lane through the woods will bring you to the firing line in the field at the top. There will be a limited-access road for supplies to be driven to the top, and this dirt road is best accessed by 4X4 vehicles.

This shoot would be a good way to meet with those you've conversed with on this board but have never met, in addition to enjoying a great day of shooting. But the greatest benefit of this day would be helping a pro-gun political candidate attain elected office. Even though he doesn't actually represent many of us member's districts, he will have a direct influence on each and every one of our representatives in his daily encounters with them. Not to mention that he can initiate legislation for any of us in the statehouse with a simple contact through this board.

The tentative date for this event is Saturday, September 18, 2004. That will HOPEFULLY be the weekend after the Assault Weapons Ban sunset, and a definite reason to get together and celebrate our new-found freedom. This date is NOT finalized and could possibly be changed. If enough interest is not generated, this shoot may not be held at all.

Please respond to this thread if you believe that you can attend. Paul needs to see if there is enough interest to justify hosting this event. Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 4:43:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Yeah, I'm in.
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 5:00:30 PM EDT
[#2]
I'll check at work, and hope for the best.  Sure sounds like fun.  
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 5:05:32 PM EDT
[#3]
I am in too.

What to bring... what to bring...
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 6:14:34 PM EDT
[#4]
I am in also just let me know where and when and I can bring some pretty cool toys too. i am sure my brother will also want to come. May even have the 50 by then but will bring the quiet stuff.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 3:53:54 AM EDT
[#5]
I had originally scheduled that weekend off work to attend the Hallsville GSSF shoot, but would be happy to do something closer to home instead.

Besides, Paul has graciously agreed to host my FR&I pistol class on his property in October, and I figure this would be a good "dry run" for the facility and a chance to identify any last-minute tweaks that might need to be done to get it ready for the class.  If the Sept. 18 date sticks, I'm in.  I will bring my slow-fire MAC, my suppressed .22 and a few of my "no ban" ARs to share with those in attendance.  

Once the date is set, I will inform the guys who have signed up for the pistol class; several of them will want to attend the fundraiser shoot as well, to get a sneak peak at the facility and shoot some exotic gunz.

Let me know if there's anything I can do to help organize or set up.

Link Posted: 8/16/2004 8:41:23 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm in
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 1:11:44 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm all for it.  
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 1:33:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Definitely.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 3:27:00 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm in for sure!
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 3:48:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Tentatively in for a shoot
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 4:04:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Tentatively in, but since I don't have an ar yet (working on it...so...soon....) maybe I can convince someone here into helping me find a good one for a first purchase, otherwise all I'll have is my mossy 500 w/rifled barrel, and hopefully my concealed piece by then.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 4:18:15 PM EDT
[#12]
I shall endeavor to attend.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 4:36:45 PM EDT
[#13]
I'll check with the wife but it shouldn't be a problem.  I'll bring lots of cans and my RR M16.  My other '16 and my HK setup are still waiting on the Feds......
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 5:07:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Im in!!
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 5:18:05 PM EDT
[#15]
I will know closer to that date..but I'm a possible...
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 5:38:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Sounds like we've already got a few members interested.

And we should have a nice sample of NFA stuff there as well.

I'll be bringing my M16 RR as well. Paul and I already tested out the berm with it yesterday. Maybe I'll even be able to bring a can or two if the paperwork comes back in time. I'd like to compare the SRT Hurricane that I'm waiting on with other .223 suppressors.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 5:52:57 PM EDT
[#17]
I'll talk with 223s and see if he and I can make it.  We've both had Form 4s in the works for a while so maybe we'll have either a Gem-tech M4-02 and/or a M4-96d with us.  I'm buying an M11/9 but I know that won't be done by then.  Can someone post directions from Indy?
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 5:54:04 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm in.

Just curious, what is the longest distance we can shoot? I've never been out passed 100 yds with my RRA 24" Varminteer. Would like to try 300-500 if possible.

I need to hurry up and get my newest reloading bench built(#4 and hopefully the mecca of all reloading benches this time so I can quit screwing with it.) and get down to buisness and reload some ammo this year.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 6:13:30 PM EDT
[#19]
^
For when I have time...
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 6:17:48 PM EDT
[#20]
I'll be there.  Need any help setting up?
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 6:51:32 PM EDT
[#21]
If I can schedule the time off the wife and I will be there.  I'm glad someone is having a shoot to help celebrate the end of the AWB (among other things).
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 7:12:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Business permitting, I'll be there.

Link Posted: 8/17/2004 4:06:19 AM EDT
[#23]
Wow, great chance to meet.  I will try to rearrange my schedule.

Two things come to mind.  There are some great folks in KY and Louisville area, like KY Bob.  Some in Illinois and Chicago too, like TequilaBob.  You guys may want to open it up to them as well? Especially since nearby Martin State Forest has a great camping area some of us can use.

There are about 12-15 people who have camped at the German Ridge area before, all AR15 members, only most are from out of state.  All from the Survival forum.  There are others looking for an excuse to come to the next Midwest Campout.  Martin State was an alternate location last time.

Whether I can come or not, I would be happy to coordinate it with that forum for you.  Just trying to get you more exposure and support.  Let me know.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 6:01:29 AM EDT
[#24]
Ddoohhh, that's the weekend of my HS reunion.  I'll keep an eye on the thread in case it changes.  Sounds like you guys will have a good time.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 11:55:53 AM EDT
[#25]
Damn.  Sounds like fun, but there's no way I can make it that weekend.    
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 12:32:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Damn,, Toby Keith that weekend. The wife and kid would castrate me if I did'nt take them.

Link Posted: 8/17/2004 1:08:25 PM EDT
[#27]
So I'm wondering if this date is definate or when it will be.  I need to make definate plans soon or my wife and kids are going to.  If this ends up being a week of two notice it's not going to be a sucess.

Just my thoughts.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 1:41:13 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Can someone post directions from Indy?

If this event is finalized, I will post directions from various parts of the state. It is approximately 2 1/2 hours from Indy. I believe that the property is around 6 miles south of Loogootee off Highway 231 near the tiny community of Whitfield.

Quoted:
So I'm wondering if this date is definite or when it will be.  If this ends up being a week of two notice it's not going to be a sucess.

I feel the same way. That's why we decided to AT LEAST go with September 18th at the minimum. That way people would have at least a month to organize their schedules. Obviously, it is a near impossibility to find a date that everyone can agree on, therefore the majority will determine if the date is feasible.

Quoted:
Just curious, what is the longest distance we can shoot?

I did not have a laser rangefinder that day, so I am unsure what range we can get. Imagine a grassy powercut with hills every so often going through wooded terrain. On the tops of these hills are the large metal electrical towers. One high hill is going to be the backstop. The shooters will be firing in a southeast direction into the berm. So you will definitely be restricted to the line of sight between the hilltops. You might get 200 yards from the top of the northwest hill to the target area, but I'm not sure. I'm a fair judge of distance, but didn't think to check distances while I was there. Now if you were standing on top of the backstop facing southeast, you can see for probably a couple of miles over a low valley. It would be up to Paul to decide if anyone is allowed to shoot downhill from there.

Quoted:
I'll be there. Need any help setting up?

I'm sure that we can find volunteers something to do.

Quoted:
There are some great folks in KY and Louisville area, like KY Bob. Some in Illinois and Chicago too, like TequilaBob. You guys may want to open it up to them as well? Especially since nearby Martin State Forest has a great camping area some of us can use.

There are about 12-15 people who have camped at the German Ridge area before, all AR15 members, only most are from out of state. All from the Survival forum. There are others looking for an excuse to come to the next Midwest Campout. Martin State was an alternate location last time.

Whether I can come or not, I would be happy to coordinate it with that forum for you. Just trying to get you more exposure and support. Let me know.

I'm sure that Paul would appreciate all the financial support and camaraderie from fellow members that he can get. OUR BIGGEST CONCERN IS GOING TO BE PARKING. Paul is going to have every single flat grassy spot along the road brush-hogged, and parking will most likely still be a problem. We've discussed carpooling and if need be, some members parking in a church parking lot 2 miles down the road and riding together from there. I guess if a bunch of you camp at the Martin State Forest, you guys can arrange to reduce the number of vehicles driven to the actual shooting event from the campsite. For those who don't want to get up early and drive down that Saturday morning, I'm sure there are some low cost motels near Loogootee.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 4:09:09 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Can someone post directions from Indy?

If this event is finalized, I will post directions from various parts of the state. It is approximately 2 1/2 hours from Indy. I believe that the property is around 6 miles south of Loogootee off Highway 231 near the tiny community of Whitfield.

You mean 2 1/2 hours South of INDY????????? It sounds like it is right on the river!!
That would be a good 5 hour drive for me. Hmmm.

Sounds like it would be a lot of fun. I will check my work schedule and see.......if so I could maybe bring an HK UMP and some LEO stuff :)

Link Posted: 8/17/2004 5:06:21 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

I'm sure that Paul would appreciate all the financial support and camaraderie from fellow members that he can get. OUR BIGGEST CONCERN IS GOING TO BE PARKING.

I know Paul goes to Martin State Forest on his lunch break sometimes.  It is not that far so if a group were to camp, yeah, we could car pool.  I have one friend lined up to come along.

I would say it is more like 2 hours from Indy?  I take 37 to Bedford and pick up 50 there.  Regardless, that is one of the best areas in all of Indiana.  Maybe we can pool our money and go shoot an elk at that rich boy elk farm.

I will put a heads up in the survial forum telling them to watch this thread for dates and info.

Link Posted: 8/17/2004 6:18:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Sounds good to me.  Count me in as of right now.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 6:23:25 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I would say it is more like 2 hours from Indy?  I take 37 to Bedford and pick up 50 there.

Looking at a map, it looks like it's about 35 miles from Bedford to Paul's property if you go the route indicated above.

You passed within 2 miles of it when you drove through Whitfield on your way to Holiday World.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 6:30:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Put me down too.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 7:01:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 12:16:40 PM EDT
[#35]
I am in too......
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 2:18:39 PM EDT
[#36]
High School reunion, Toby Keith concert, getting your nails done...

I'm seeing a lot of lame excuses not to go.  
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 4:40:11 PM EDT
[#37]
I'll try to be in. Big maybe at this point.

Bob
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 5:15:56 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
High School reunion, Toby Keith concert, getting your nails done...

I'm seeing a lot of lame excuses not to go.  

Ouch that hurt

I should be able to make it sunday for sure though.

Link Posted: 8/18/2004 6:26:41 PM EDT
[#39]
I'm not that far from Logootee but I have to work Saturdays. It's a bitch being a car salesman.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 7:54:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Tagged for later!
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 2:26:04 AM EDT
[#41]
I'm game if I don't have to work.Allways ready to blow shit up.
LATER Bob
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 5:09:34 PM EDT
[#42]
Is this a Tannerite free event?

Bob
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:29:24 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Is this a Tannerite free event?

Bob

See Da rules my man!
ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=30&t=183485

But what about a couple of car hoods and doors?
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:37:27 PM EDT
[#44]
Ok. I'm working on getting a Form 5320.20 so we can rock and roll. Although Class 3 isn't mentioned in the rules.

Bob
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 3:57:54 AM EDT
[#45]
Im going to be downrange, but will fire a whole 4400 round can from a minigun to be with you in spirit.

Link Posted: 8/20/2004 3:38:59 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
But what about a couple of car hoods and doors?

Probably okay, as long as they are hauled away when the shoot is over. The doors would need to be glass-free. If Paul decides against it, I'm sure that he'll let us know beforehand.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 8:54:31 AM EDT
[#47]
I should be able to be there.

chuck
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 8:20:58 AM EDT
[#48]
Less than THREE WEEKS to go, folks!  How goes the planning? Is the range bush-hogged yet? Anything I can do to help, besides showing up with my toyz and RO'ing?

Really looking forward to this...  

Link Posted: 8/30/2004 12:02:09 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Really looking forward to this...  

Me too!  Bringing a newbie shooter for you guys to train for me.  What better way to get hooked on guns than a shoot like this.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 1:04:35 PM EDT
[#50]
I haven't heard anything from Paul since he e-mailed me the local map for the shoot. He asked that I not post it until close to the shoot date, so unknown lurkers don't case the property out. It will be in the tacked thread at the top of the forum when posted.

I'd say that he is busy as heck with the campaign, but the shoot is still on. As for brush-hogging, I don't know if it has been done yet or not. It would probably be better to do it right before the shoot so that it won't have time to regrow.

Now I'm just praying that I don't have to work that morning! I seldom have to work Saturdays, but you just never know. At least when I do, I get off work at 11:00AM and could still make it to the shoot a little after 12 noon. I'm really looking forward to it. I'm hoping to have my SRT Hurricane .223 suppressor for my M16 in the next couple of weeks, as I am hoping to compare it to any others that might be there.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top