Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/24/2018 5:09:40 PM EDT
I recently picked up a set of stripped lowers for my dad and I to build as rifles. From my understanding the only thing you need to build a rifle to be Maryland legal, is to give it a heavy profile barrel. is there a list of approved brands or will any heavy barrel fluted or regular do? I'm wanting to use a Faxon Firearms Heavy Fluted .223 wylde barrel for the build. Unless he wants a service rifle clone and then I'll just find a colt Hbar.

I also understand that so long as it doesn't have a folding stock or a launcher device I can still use a flash hider on it. However his is only an issue if he wants an A2 clone which would require a flash hider over a modern compensator.

Provided I can get the build to be Maryland legal its then just a matter of shipping to an FFL near him and having him come pick it up right?
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 3:23:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Anything stamped or advertised as a heavy barrel is fine for 556 or 223

Any barrel not chambered in 556/233 are exempt from the hbar requirement such as 6.5,6.8,300bo, ect...

Sbr's are exempt from the hbar requirement because maryland.

Pistol AR's are exempt from the hbar requirment because maryland.

Rifles like the lmt mrp and sr15 are exempt from the hbar requirement the don't share 100 percent of parts with the rifle that is banned.

Flash hiders are good to go

Hope this helps, there really is only a very narrow list of ar configurations that you can't do in maryland even though those configurations are the most popular ones at public ranges.
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 9:55:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Any barrel not chambered in 556/233 are exempt from the hbar requirement such as 6.5,6.8,300bo, ect...
View Quote
this is really a greay area, as its not set into law anyplace, unless i am mistaken.
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 3:48:33 PM EDT
[#3]
It's not a grey area, you can walk into a number of gun shops in maryland right now and purchase based weapons in alternative calibers as cash and carry this moment.

AK47 bad, ak74 harmless
Springfield m1a in 308 bad, in 6.5cm harmless
Repeat as necessary

I really am leaning towards a usasoc urg clone in 6.5 grendal.  For my next non, lmt/KAC build. That could be fun.
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 12:13:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the input guys. This has helped clear up any confusion.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top