Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/15/2013 9:48:28 AM EDT
Does anyone know the new laws of Maryland now? I was told you can still buy them but only if it has a heavy barrel and nothing made by bushmaster. Guess those idiots in Annapolis think bushmasters are more dangerous. This doesn't make any sense to me at all though. What good did there ar ban do? Someone explain please.
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 9:35:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Might try in Hometown forum at top of website under your state.  Or Maryland state gov site.
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 9:41:04 AM EDT
[#2]
I wasn't aware it was legal to outright ban a "manufacturer", that it violated some sort of trade/commerce laws. I thought they were only able to ban by "features"?
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 10:14:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Made no sense to me at all. That's why I posted on here. But that is what the lgs told me.
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 11:12:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 11:22:46 AM EDT
[#5]
I believe HBARs are cash and carry, but any other AR is now banned.  If you didn't purchase one before the 1 OCT deadline then I believe you're SOL.  Not sure what the rules are with regards to moving to Maryland with ARs from out of state, or being assigned there as military or federal LE.  I'm just glad I got the hell out of that state when I did.
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 11:39:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I believe HBARs are cash and carry, but any other AR is now banned.  If you didn't purchase one before the 1 OCT deadline then I believe you're SOL.  Not sure what the rules are with regards to moving to Maryland with ARs from out of state, or being assigned there as military or federal LE.  I'm just glad I got the hell out of that state when I did.
View Quote

But you moved to CO which is trying to follow MD MA NY CA etc etc
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 12:14:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah I know.  Magazine restrictions, background checks... but we're fighting back. Ousted two during the recall election and the gun owners here are working very hard to put more of them out of office.  We sent a pretty clear message not to f**k with our 2A rights. The new laws suck, but nowhere near as bad as MD, CA, NY, etc.
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 12:41:42 PM EDT
[#8]
MD has definately gone way overboard. Please let us know if you find out what the new law actually means.

I do know the company in MD that made my precision AR, "Precision Firearms", has been forced to move to West Virginia. Sad times in MD for sure.

Link Posted: 11/15/2013 1:18:08 PM EDT
[#9]
The new laws are supposed to go to court in February some time. Don't know if its to little to late or not. Hoping they can get somewhere.
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 10:23:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Bushmaster - brand AR's are not banned, though you'll hear this a lot...even from dealers.

The Bushmaster on the ban list refers to a proprietary model they made in the early 90's (before Bushmaster even made AR's).   I believe  this is it:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bushmaster_M17S
Link Posted: 11/19/2013 3:00:24 PM EDT
[#11]
So......

....sales of scary AR type rifles are banned after 1OCT13..... how about shooting them, as in, I bought it before 1OCT13 and am on a public range, am I subject to arrest or confiscation?

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/19/2013 10:14:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Anything owned prior to October is grandfathered so you are fine with your rifle as long as it was purchased prior to that date.  Make sure you keep your paperwork handy.  The state has to prove you bought your rifle post October, but better safe then sorry.
Link Posted: 11/19/2013 10:18:15 PM EDT
[#13]
http://mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=109281

That is a super helpful read on Soviet Maryland's new laws
Link Posted: 11/20/2013 6:23:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
So......

....sales of scary AR type rifles are banned after 1OCT13..... how about shooting them, as in, I bought it before 1OCT13 and am on a public range, am I subject to arrest or confiscation?

Thanks
View Quote

The law seems to apply to MD residents & its no big deal if you already owned what you wanted pre- Oct. 1st.  

There is a separate section banning transport of banned guns into the state - which would appear to apply to DE residents like you.  I have not seen clarification on that.  Seems to be a grey area.   I am very leary of going to MD with an AR-15 again; I also have no proof that my guns were owned in my state prior to Oct 1; its not required here.   Haven't seen anything definitive, nor any statement from AG or MSP (unlikley to see it in the future IMHO).
Link Posted: 12/3/2013 10:24:32 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm still seeing AR's in some shops, and they are selling like hotcakes, in all models. Some other shops don't have any AR's or parts, all sold out from the rush.
I talked to one lady who was waiting to fill out her transfer form and MSP paperwork, she'd been waiting for some time. She says she's never owned a gun, but wanted a good one. I smiled and said well you picked the right type. I suggested some good web sites including this one for education and to find some training.

What I have noticed in several shops is the pile of handguns and rifles waiting on the Maryland state police ok's. This looks like it's taking 4 month's or more. Wow. Some shops have hundreds of guns piled up with paperwork stuck on them. One shop, big shop one guy was overloaded and actually breathing hard to keep up with the dozens's of customers waiting on him. I almost asked him for an application.

Later I had a trip down to NC and had some time to visit a half dozen gun shops. All I can say is WOW, they have everything, no shortage of AR parts, ammo, you name it. It's like Maryland is another world.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 9:52:03 PM EDT
[#16]
A post over on MDS said that there are still over 40,000 applications in the MDSP pipeline.

I still haven't received a "Not Disapproved" on a gun I picked up in September.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 3:10:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Same here.  I'm going to see if I can get visitation rights to see it.  
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 2:18:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry to hear that.

I have my gun. Bollinger's doesn't play that bullshit.
Eight days and it's mine, as the law provides.

I can't believe there are FFL's still holding peoples guns.
I would never do business with them again if I were you.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 7:10:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Yup, I thought most were doing the 8 day releases.  If not, I'd def look for an ffl who will.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:49:32 PM EDT
[#20]
My lgs did an 8 day release but told me if for some reason I get denied they come take it from me.  However there is absolutely no reason to deny so no worries.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 8:01:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
My lgs did an 8 day release but told me if for some reason I get denied they come take it from me.  However there is absolutely no reason to deny so no worries.
View Quote

That's always been the case.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top