Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2004 6:59:21 PM EDT
Since MD has a 20 round magazine capacity limit independent of the Fed AWB I would like to know if MD law comments on magazine "couplers" or "clamps" whereby multiple magazines are held together?

Thanks for any advice.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 8:45:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Here's the applicable statute:

Maryland Code : CRIMINAL LAW : TITLE 4. WEAPON CRIMES : SUBTITLE 3. ASSAULT PISTOLS AND DETACHABLE MAGAZINES : § 4-305. Detachable magazines - Prohibited.  

§ 4-305. Detachable magazines - Prohibited.

(a)  Scope of section.- This section does not apply to a .22 caliber rifle with a tubular magazine.  

(b)  Prohibited.- A person may not manufacture, sell, offer for sale, purchase, receive, or transfer a detachable magazine that has a capacity of more than 20 rounds of ammunition for a firearm.  

[An. Code 1957, art. 27, § 36H-5(b); 2002, ch. 26, § 2.]

Note that the statute does not prohibit the possession of a detachable magazine that has a capacity of more than 20 rounds, but does prohibit the transfer between persons within the state of Maryland.

Link Posted: 9/15/2004 4:05:38 AM EDT
[#2]
To answer your question, there is no law preventing you from clamping two mags together.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 9:58:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Right, right - I forgot about the "answer the question" part.  Thanks Cerebus.

The MD Code regarding detachable magazines does not comment on magazine "couplers" or "clamps" whereby multiple magazines are held together.  I've researched this often in the past year or so and I'm not aware of any other prohibitions or limitations on the use of detachable magazines.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:44:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks to all who answered the call.

Now for practicality.

Is there any downside to using magazine couplers from a strictly practical point of view.

Thanks in advance to all who reply.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 9:21:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Now I have question. Is it safe to assume that the expiration of the AWB has no effect on the MD magazine limit? In short, are we still denied the oppurtunity to purchase/transfer  30 rnd USGI mags within MD?
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 2:40:01 PM EDT
[#6]
From the BATF&E SAW Ban Questions and Answers:

Q: Does the expiration of the ban affect State law?

A: Expiration of the federal law will not change any provisions of State law or local ordinances. Questions concerning State assault weapons restrictions should be referred to State and local authorities.

Link Posted: 9/16/2004 5:10:04 PM EDT
[#7]
We need a tack of applicable MD and FED laws.  Would be good quick reference.  Who's our mod now or is it still M4??
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top