Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2003 10:06:10 AM EDT
Please go here:
Md & De FFL List
and look at all the FFL's and tell me if you have had any real positive experience or really negative experiences with the FFL's listed there. You will see a smiley icon system.
Just post back here in this thread your report or IM it to me if you dont want to be known.

I have talked to many of you who have shown disgust with some FFL's and pure delight with others. I think as hard workers and firearm enthusiast we should put our money and help other spend their money in a place that is helpful, polite and wants your business.

Thanks,
~Ric
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 5:29:41 AM EDT
[#1]
2 more Montgomery FFL's- Atlantic Guns (Rockville & Silver Spring).  Last time I used them it was $40 for a transfer + $10 MPSA fee for handgun/regulated rifle (AR).  They may or may not xfer if it is a gun they sell.  Generally OK to deal with (prices on their new guns are a bit high).

Gilbert Guns, Rockville.  FFL xfer used to be $35, last time I talked to them they wanted $100.  They also wanted about $400 for a new AR lower (not complete- just the receiver).  I can say that I have not been in that store since.
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 8:31:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks,

Anyone else? AS many guns as the members I have met, you guys should have some feedback!
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 7:18:58 AM EDT
[#3]
My favorite is X-Ring Supply (Newark, DE).  Small shop, but lots of stock and their prices are reasonable.  They are also the most helpful and least condescending of any place I have been.  They have a dealer list and can arrange transfers to MD or PA.

Miller's on 13 near the Wilmington airport has a ton of reloading stuff, and I'm told that they have people on hand with godlike knowledge of the process (though I've never confirmed that).  They're not a bad place, but they cater mostly to the hunting crowd.

Shooter's Supply (also 13, near the 40 split) used to be a nice place, but I've had bad experiences there in recent years.  They're pretty small and they also cover fishing, so there's limited stock.

In MD, there's N.E. Guns on Main Street in North East.  Very small, mostly surplus stuff.  Prices on the surplus junk were reasonable, but the few good pieces seemed overpriced.  One sales guy and a dog, both a little gruff but not unfriendly.  They carry very little in the way of ammo and accessories.

There's another place that I can't remember the name of (D&L or D&S or something like that) -- it's past the old Cecil County MVA office (Chesapeake City?), over the bridge at the main street intersection of some one-horse town.  Pretty small, had a mildly interesting assortment of used/surplus stuff, ammo, and a few accessories.

In PA, there's Targetmaster (202 right over the DE border).  They have an indoor range and a lot of stuff (thought not nearly as much as they should, given their size).  I used to have a membership and shop there all the time, but I refuse to even go in the store now.  Their prices are astronomical, their people are unhelpful bordering on rude, and the range is poorly lit with weak ventilation.  Last time I went in they had a dress code, and that was the last straw.  The only reason to go there  is to pattern shotguns on the indoor range (I can't find anyplace else to pattern shotguns, indoor or outdoor, including my private club).  They had a really good range master (Pat), but one of their other "range masters" suggested that I fire another shot to clear a stuck bullet in a (rented!) Glock.  This was my second time shooting anything, and even I knew that was the dumbest thing I'd ever heard.  I suggested that he fire it, and eventually he went and found someone to pound out the bullet.

In Phoenixville, there's French Creek Outfitters.  Covers hunting, fishing, archery, paintball, and other outdoor stuff.  Wide range of personality types, but no bad experiences.  They have an indoor range (handgun calibers and shotgun slugs).  Prices are a little high but not too bad.

Down 202 past the KoP mall and left at the big intersection with the train tracks, there's two places.  In-Site is on the second floor of an old historic building, near the Jeffersonville golf course.  I went in one time when I first moved to PA.  All conversation stopped, no one offered to help me, the merchandise was plastered with "do not touch" stickers, and I got a lot of nasty looks.  I took one look around and left without a word.  Just recently I gave them another shot -- there was a very friendly and helpful older gentleman (Jim, I think) and I talked to him for a while about AR-15s and he said that if I ordered from Rock River he could do the transfer.  French Creek dropped the ball when it came time to order my RRA, so I went back to In-Site with a printout of the product page (LE Tactical CAR A4) from the RRA site and the info of the dealer I bought it from.  Jim wasn't there and I got another frosty reception, but I explained my situation to the guy behind the counter, who took a quick glance at the product page and declared that the rifle I had ordered was law enforcement-only and that it was illegal for me to possess.  I told him that I had ordered the post-ban version and pointed to the picture labeled "post-ban".  He pointed to the "LE" in the product title and said "that means 'law enforcement', therefore you can't have it".  I didn't know how to counter such a blatant display of wanton stupidity, so I just stood there with my mouth open for a second, thanked him, and left.

If you go another couple of blocks, there's Gray's Outfitters (AKA the Montgomery Armory).  Another small shop, covers military stuff, hunting, fishing, paintball, and archery.  Used to go there a lot, but somewhere I picked up a bad vibe on the place (plus the prices are pretty high), so I stopped going.  He did the dealer transfer on my Rock River for $50 (I was desperate).

jafager
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 7:32:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Need to update Otto's address.
It is Suite I now. He is still setting up.
This is a part-time venture for him right now.

As for NSK, I will not deal with him at all.
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 6:54:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Gunrunners
47 East Patrick St.
Frederick, MD  21701
301-662-5912

EXCELLENT service.  Haven't purchased anything there yet, just transfers.  The tagged prices are high, but I'm positive they're negotiable.

Transfer Fees, as best I can remember:
New pistol, $40 (includes $10 MDSP fee)
Used pistol, $30
Rifle, $20
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 1:49:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Ric-
    Sorry I don't have any information on FFl's to contribute, but I did want to thank you for taking the time to compile this list. It is a very thoughtful idea and a real service for those of us in the Md.-Del. area.

Rick
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top