Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/9/2021 10:06:54 PM EDT
I recently had to call into work as I spent 7 hrs in the ER with my father (pneumonia), and just got home in time to call in to work.

Texted them I’m not going to make it in today.

I get a reply from my scheduler, “for what reason”.
Did I have to tell him why I wasn’t coming in? Pretty sure he’s not able to ask if its medical but they can require a doc note.

Another guy told me they aren’t able to ask and in the job posts in GD, they say they aren’t asking for permission, just giving them the courtesy of letting them know.

I don’t want to create rifts but the guy is less than pleasant and hopefully I’ll be finding a new job soon. Only because of this guy.

Can I call him out on it or is it perfectly ok for them to be in my business?

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/10/2021 7:19:32 AM EDT
[#1]
You work for them. I don’t know what the law says, but if you aren’t going to be at work when you are scheduled to be there, they should be able to ask you why.  That’s just common sense.  

If I’m your boss, I’ll have a different opinion of you based on your answer.  If it’s “I’m at the hospital with my elderly father, he’s being treated for pneumonia”, I’d think that you missing work is perfectly understandable.  If it’s “I was up all night smoking pot and playing video games and now I’m too tired to work” I’d think you’re a loser and probably not much of an asset to the company.  If the answer is “You can’t ask me why I’m not coming to work, you’re violating my rights!” I’d have an opinion about that too.
Link Posted: 6/10/2021 9:57:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/10/2021 10:38:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Personally you are making this way harder than it is.

If you let them know within time frame as required by your job (like 2 hrs before shift starts sounds reasonable) or as stated in your employee handbook

FMLA Family Medical Leave Act

Continuing treatment by a health care provider that results in an incapacity (inability to attend school or participate in other daily activities) of more than three consecutive calendar days with either two or more in-person visits to the health care provider within 30 days of the date of incapacity OR one in-person visit to the health care provider with a regimen of continuing treatment, such as prescription medication, physical therapy, etc. In either situation, the first visit to the health care provider must occur within seven days of the first date of incapacity. Examples include pneumonia, surgery or broken/fractured bones.

Employees may take FMLA leave for themselves or to care for their parent, spouse, son or daughter whose medical condition meets the above criteria. The FMLA regulations specifically exclude the following conditions, unless inpatient care or complications develop that would meet the above criteria: cosmetic treatments, common colds, flu, ear aches, upset stomach, minor ulcers, headaches other than migraine, routine dental or orthodontia problems, and periodontal disease.

Of course if you have track record of abusing time off, well you might have to have other documentation.

Most health providers are more than happy to oblige you with providing documentation if the need arises.

Link Posted: 6/10/2021 4:23:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You work for them. I don’t know what the law says, but if you aren’t going to be at work when you are scheduled to be there, they should be able to ask you why.  That’s just common sense.  

If I’m your boss, I’ll have a different opinion of you based on your answer.  If it’s “I’m at the hospital with my elderly father, he’s being treated for pneumonia”, I’d think that you missing work is perfectly understandable.  If it’s “I was up all night smoking pot and playing video games and now I’m too tired to work” I’d think you’re a loser and probably not much of an asset to the company.  If the answer is “You can’t ask me why I’m not coming to work, you’re violating my rights!” I’d have an opinion about that too.
View Quote

I’ve been there 8 years, hired at an insulting rate (somewhat understand as the industry was slowish) almost never call in, almost never take vacation, early (because if you are on time you’re late) take on every project assigned and do it well.

The way he asked is what caused the rift. I’m no model employee but not a fuck- off either (I’d say higher middle). I shouldn’t have to ‘beg’ for a day off or have them ‘approve’ of my absence.
Link Posted: 6/10/2021 4:25:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

This.

If you don't want to go into detail, I don't understand why "taking care of some medical issues with my dad" is too much to provide.  What you're currently doing is literally the definition of "making rifts" for absolutely no reason other than the fact you don't like someone.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

If you don't want to go into detail, I don't understand why "taking care of some medical issues with my dad" is too much to provide.  What you're currently doing is literally the definition of "making rifts" for absolutely no reason other than the fact you don't like someone.

It’s mainly showing no confidence or trust in me as a person/ worker when I have done nothing but what they ask. I am an adult and shouldn’t have to have a ‘sick day’ approved. I should just have to give them a heads up, which I did.

I just want to make sure my feeling of personal insult was warranted. We have a contract not an ownership.
Link Posted: 6/10/2021 4:30:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Personally you are making this way harder than it is.

If you let them know within time frame as required by your job (like 2 hrs before shift starts sounds reasonable) or as stated in your employee handbook

FMLA Family Medical Leave Act

Continuing treatment by a health care provider that results in an incapacity (inability to attend school or participate in other daily activities) of more than three consecutive calendar days with either two or more in-person visits to the health care provider within 30 days of the date of incapacity OR one in-person visit to the health care provider with a regimen of continuing treatment, such as prescription medication, physical therapy, etc. In either situation, the first visit to the health care provider must occur within seven days of the first date of incapacity. Examples include pneumonia, surgery or broken/fractured bones.

Employees may take FMLA leave for themselves or to care for their parent, spouse, son or daughter whose medical condition meets the above criteria. The FMLA regulations specifically exclude the following conditions, unless inpatient care or complications develop that would meet the above criteria: cosmetic treatments, common colds, flu, ear aches, upset stomach, minor ulcers, headaches other than migraine, routine dental or orthodontia problems, and periodontal disease.

Of course if you have track record of abusing time off, well you might have to have other documentation.

Most health providers are more than happy to oblige you with providing documentation if the need arises.

View Quote

2 hrs before shift starts (4am), I was still away from my work phone sitting in the ER so I called as soon as I could which was before start time.

Thanks for the posted info. I really have a difficult time finding things like that because it seems I am either too specific to return results or not specific enough that I get lots of chaff.

I also was in the ER until 2 am the next day and still made it into work so I am not one of those guys that calls in often ‘just because’.
Link Posted: 6/10/2021 4:35:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I’ve been there 8 years, hired at an insulting rate (somewhat understand as the industry was slowish) almost never call in, almost never take vacation, early (because if you are on time you’re late) take on every project assigned and do it well.

The way he asked is what caused the rift. I’m no model employee but not a fuck- off either (I’d say higher middle). I shouldn’t have to ‘beg’ for a day off or have them ‘approve’ of my absence.
View Quote

Did you call in, or did you send someone a text message?  Was his reply via call, or text?  If it was a text exchange, what didn’t you like about the the way he asked?  To be honest, this really sounds a lot more like a “you” problem than a “them” problem.
Link Posted: 6/10/2021 4:42:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Did you call in, or did you send someone a text message?  Was his reply via call, or text?  If it was a text exchange, what didn’t you like about the the way he asked?  To be honest, this really sounds a lot more like a “you” problem than a “them” problem.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was a text because he gets so many calls a day I figured easier for him to read it at his leisure. I know it is hard to convey context through messages but it sounded more like “what the fuck for” than “ok hope everything is alright”. Which he could have easily said as well. Like I said, I don’t call in often and I expect a bit of trust when I do.
Link Posted: 6/10/2021 4:46:47 PM EDT
[#9]
You are reading a lot into a text message, and you very well may have misunderstood the tone.  Or, since you were sending a text that you aren’t coming in very close to the start of your scheduled shift, he may well have been irritated with you.  That would be understandable.  

Calling would prevent this sort of thing, and is a lot more professional for a conversation like this.
Link Posted: 6/10/2021 4:53:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
You are reading a lot into a text message, and you very well may have misunderstood the tone.  Calling would prevent this sort of thing, and is a lot more professional for a conversation like this.
View Quote

I believe I am reading the text in the correct tone as 5-8 people have quit in the last month mainly because of this guy and his ‘attitude’ towards workers but he is a lifer (protected).
I’m just asking for a bit of understanding the few times I call in.

Him and the service tech have been friends (some rough patches) for many years and he is the one that told me never call him before 6am. But that is why I’m bouncing it off you guys to decide if I should say something or let it go like I have every other time. But with others leaving often, I’m starting to wonder why I stay but I’m also not a pussy (usually).
Link Posted: 6/11/2021 11:04:28 AM EDT
[#11]
You are making it harder than it needs to be.
And, just follow the rules and take care of your family member.
And, of course there are exceptions to rules.  If you color outside the lines, you maybe setting yourself up.

Simply put it's their sandbox.  Play by their rules.  Till you can find another position.
Link Posted: 6/11/2021 5:01:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Simply put it's their sandbox.  Play by their rules.  Till you can find another position.
View Quote

I get that, that’s why I was wondering if there was some sort of rules about what they can and can’t ask per labor laws.

I mean, they can’t sexually harass me just because it’s their sandbox.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top