Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/29/2020 9:33:14 PM EDT
It's about that time again. The instructor I've been using for the last 15 years is retiring and I need to find a new one. Any recommendations?
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 10:58:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Total Defense in Ramsey.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 8:41:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Total Defense in Ramsey.
View Quote

Second this.  Great people up there.  I have taken two classes with them and my wife has taken a class with them.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 6:40:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
It's about that time again. The instructor I've been using for the last 15 years is retiring and I need to find a new one. Any recommendations?
View Quote

My theory on PTC classes is that it's strictly "check a box" item, find the cheapest and quickest class nearest you that you can get into every 5 years and get it over with.

If you want to take a pistol/self-defense class do that on your own time, not the state's, and don't muddy it up with the PTC requirements.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 7:30:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

My theory on PTC classes is that it's strictly "check a box" item, find the cheapest and quickest class nearest you that you can get into every 5 years and get it over with.
View Quote
I tend to agree, at least for renewals. I went with an online course for both of my renewals.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 3:33:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I tend to agree, at least for renewals. I went with an online course for both of my renewals.
View Quote

I didn't even know online was an option. Isn't a firing qualification a requirement?
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 4:17:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I didn't even know online was an option. Isn't a firing qualification a requirement?
View Quote

Yeah, but the online renewals generally include a scheduled range trip to qualify.  The last one I did took a few hours at home for the online part, then I showed up at the local indoor gun range on a specified day/time (there were several days and time slots to pick from) and shot the qualification.  I was in and out in 15 minutes.  Whole thing cost $40 through a groupon deal.  It was great, and I'll never go back to an actual real-life renewal class.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 5:00:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

If you want to take a pistol/self-defense class do that on your own time, not the state's, and don't muddy it up with the PTC requirements.
View Quote

Haha.

My opinion as a PTC instructor, that is not true after hearing some of the stuff that others have learned or not learned in other classes.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 2:15:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 1:45:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 2:18:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 10:50:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'll never go back to an actual real-life renewal class.
View Quote

You must not be married or have kids?  (just kidding ... )

I'll continue to take the in-person classes just for an excuse to get an evening away from the wife and kids, and to grab supper (sans-covid) at a place of my choosing.  
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 11:02:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

You must not be married or have kids?  (just kidding ... )

I'll continue to take the in-person classes just for an excuse to get an evening away from the wife and kids, and to grab supper (sans-covid) at a place of my choosing.  
View Quote

If such is your situation, here’s a trick you could try for next time:

1. Do the online class at home without telling your family you did it.  

2. Schedule the half hour range part, then tell them you have to go do the whole day-long class at that time.  

3. Spend the whole rest of the day screwing off doing something fun.

4. ?

5. Profit
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 12:14:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

2. Schedule the half hour range part, then tell them you have to go do the whole day-long class at that time.  

4. ?

5. Profit
View Quote

I like the way you think!
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 5:45:29 PM EDT
[#14]
We dropped the in person classes and went online about 2 yrs ago... the classes whether in person or online are basically the same since your really not supposed to deviate or add anything to whatever you submitted to the BCA for approval. So far all of our renewals have said the learned more doing it themselves online vs the 4,6,8+ hour classes. We also focus more on working around schedules and doing 1 on 1 hands on live fires, so people are actually comfortable carrying/shooting when they leave.

You would not believe the amount of renewals we do that cannot hit a small silhouette at 7yds (including LEO)

Nicollet
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 5:48:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 10:46:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

4. ?

5. Profit
View Quote

THIS!  Brilliant.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:31:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Which online class do you run, where is the range that you use?
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 5:10:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Edited - Puck
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 5:34:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:57:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

You would not believe the amount of renewals we do that cannot hit a small silhouette at 7yds (including LEO)

Nicollet
View Quote
I would believe that. The last renewal class I went to, the person in the lane next to me put a bullet in my target. The distance was only a maximum of seven yards.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 3:16:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Link to online renewal class? Or is that what was edited out above?
Can someone who isn't the instructor post the link as part of an unbiased review of the class?
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 3:26:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 11:34:42 PM EDT
[#23]
My uncle has been teaching PTC classes at home in his shop with a local retired Police Chief for about 15 years located in Oak Grove (Anoka County). I believe he charges $75, maybe cheaper for repeat customers.

Id be happy to share his info via IM if anyone is interested
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top