Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/1/2005 4:50:19 PM EDT
My wife and I are looking to move close but not in Minneapolis, the Rochester area looks interesting and I would like to get info about it and the surronding area.  Info like Jobs, taxes, schools, etc...
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 4:57:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, there's IBM and the Mayo Clinic, each with a smattering of smaller organizations that service their master.    Was the "#1 city in America" several years ago, which helped to bring up the rif-raf from Chicago and other locations.     That corner of the state has traditionally been among the more conservative parts of Minnesota, but only just so.     Schools are good, and they have a "real" airport such that you don't need to drive to the twin cities to fly somewhere (I fly in there every other month or so).

Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:38:33 PM EDT
[#2]
What other might there be with more conservative type people in MN, where jobs are good and housing and cost of living are decent.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:13:15 PM EDT
[#3]
What kind of job are you looking for? Owatonna is a pretty decent area, about 40 miles West of Rochester and about 60 miles straight south of the Twimn Cities. About 24,00 people and within driving distance of several towns. Lots of people commute to the Cities and vice versa.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 4:56:49 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a diverse background basically what I do know is electronic repair, and CAD design.  I also, have experience in the construction industry, and the Rock-n-Roll biz.  I would like to get into machining and welding I'm not certified but I'm pretty good with TIG and MIG, and know my way around a machine shop.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:03:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Probably NOWHERE in MN is going to be as conservative as IN.  In The Cities, Duluth, St. Cloud, Rochester, etc., you are going to find a lot of liberals.  Same in the Iron Range, although they are just Dems because they have the union heritage.  A place like Owatonna is essentially just a suburb of the Cities, so there are going to liberals there, too, although, hopefully there are fewer.

If/when you do move up here be prepared for some Minnesota Nice, that is, nice to your face if they don't ignore you completely, & then they will stab you in the back just for fun.  The simple fact is that Minnesotans are all prisoners of their Scandanavian & German heritage which means that they are a dour lot at best.

P.S. Read this one quick & REMEMBER it because inuh always shitcans my posts when I criticise Minnesota or one of the sacrosanct MN members or vendors.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 11:50:23 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Probably NOWHERE in MN is going to be as conservative as IN.  In The Cities, Duluth, St. Cloud, Rochester, etc., you are going to find a lot of liberals.  Same in the Iron Range, although they are just Dems because they have the union heritage.  A place like Owatonna is essentially just a suburb of the Cities, so there are going to liberals there, too, although, hopefully there are fewer.

If/when you do move up here be prepared for some Minnesota Nice, that is, nice to your face if they don't ignore you completely, & then they will stab you in the back just for fun.  The simple fact is that Minnesotans are all prisoners of their Scandanavian & German heritage which means that they are a dour lot at best.

P.S. Read this one quick & REMEMBER it because inuh always shitcans my posts when I criticise Minnesota or one of the sacrosanct MN members or vendors.

That's an awful lot of generalizing and stereotyping, don't you think?

A couple of points...Owatonna is hardly a suburb of the greater Twin Cities and you can find liberals anywhere, if you look for them.  I'm not Scandanavian or German in heritage, nor am I "dour" at best.  If your post gets shitcanned, it'll probably be because you added absolutely no useful information to the thread.  If you don't like MN, leave (or if you already have, stop visiting the Hometown Forum).

rynich -

The southern part of the state is definitely more conservative than the Twin Cities metro area.  But the same can be said of any large or growing metro area.  As it grows, it becomes more urban and more liberal in nature.  That is happening to Rochester now.  Rural Olmstead County (the Rochester area) is pretty solidly conservative though.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 12:28:13 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I have a diverse background basically what I do know is electronic repair, and CAD design.  I also, have experience in the construction industry, and the Rock-n-Roll biz.  I would like to get into machining and welding I'm not certified but I'm pretty good with TIG and MIG, and know my way around a machine shop.

Either of those cities would be a good choice.  They both should have a fair amount of job opportunities for you.  Both Rochester and Owatonna have a decent amount of manufacturing facilities.  They are both growing well.  My brother worked for OTC-Owatonna Tool Company for a while, when he was in college.  They make auto diagnostic tools.  I also had a couple of friends that worked at Crenlo, in Rochester, in CAD design.  I believe they make cabs for machinery.

Here's the websites for Crenlo and OTC

Crenlo

OTC

I grew up half way in between, on a farm near Mantorville.  We go to Rochester quite often to visit family.  There is always something new going up whenever we go there.  Schools within Rochester, and the surrounding communities are good, and it's only an hour to the Twin Cities.

I would have to say that the area is mostly conservative.  There are a lot of farming communities in the area, and as far as I'm concerned, that's about the best place to live and work.

If you have any other questions, just let me know.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 1:22:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Crenlo does make cabs for cat, case and john deere equipt.   There look for welders and designers.  I know one of the big wigs there and i know for sure they need painters..  House is resonable if you consider 160,00 for a new split with unfinished basement reasonable.  Ive lived here for about 20 yrs now. Big blue (IBM)  is usually always looking for help they have a good turnaround rate there.  Guess the big ? is what kind of wage you looking 4?  that will determin your options as im sure you know.. Any ?'s i come on often to help out...

LandShark
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 9:26:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks guys the info sar far has been great if anyone else can tell me of more job places please let me know.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 2:47:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Here's a link to the local paper.  I'd check that out.

Rochester Post Bulletin
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 4:29:54 PM EDT
[#11]
The Rochester Sheriff and Police are very anti gun and the political machine targeted and removed Rep. Linda Boudreau for getting the concealed carry bill passed. They even used funds from the DNC to remove her.  They can sure use some more pro gun people down there.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 10:26:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Don't forget to check out McNeilus in Dodge Center, located about 20 miles west of Rochester and a major service truck manufacturer, featured in a episode of Modern Marvels on the History channel.
I live in Byron(8-miles west of Rochester)and we are one of the bedroom communities of Rochester.
Olmsted county's heart is Rochester and one of the fastest growing parts of Minnesota. The city of Byron is also seeing phenomenal growth in the past few years.
The big business in Rochester is Mayo and Hotels. IBM is not that big a factor anymore since they moved a majority of their manufacturing to San Jose, Mexico and Asia.
Excellent medical facilities and never a long wait for a doctor compared to other cities.
The Rochester International Airport is serviced by Northwest and American Airlines with about 6-8 flights each per day.
The NW flights go to Minneapolis and the AA flights go to Chicago. MN-ANG practices touch and goes with their C-130 all the time.
You've probably seen this but here's a link to the city of Rochester
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 10:28:46 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
The Rochester Sheriff and Police are very anti gun and the political machine targeted and removed Rep. Linda Boudreau for getting the concealed carry bill passed. They even used funds from the DNC to remove her.  They can sure use some more pro gun people down there.

but getting a CCW permit is no problem and their are plenty of sporting groups in the area
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 12:19:56 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I live in Byron

Bears Suck!  Komets Rule!

MN-ANG practices touch and goes with their C-130 all the time.

Our farm was right in line with their approach, so they were always thundering overhead.  Had a couple of B52's fly over also.

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 12:55:26 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I live in Byron

Bears Suck!  Komets Rule!

MN-ANG practices touch and goes with their C-130 all the time.

Our farm was right in line with their approach, so they were always thundering overhead.  Had a couple of B52's fly over also.

when did the B-52's flyover I always miss the good stuff
I'm not into the local sports so
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:52:15 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Around here they are on the Flight path to Minot AFB
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 3:53:06 PM EDT
[#17]
BEARS AND KOMETS SUCK  ROCKETS RULES!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:19:04 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I think I was in high school, so it was probably 8-10 years ago that I saw them.  I believe it was summer time.  I was working out by the shop and saw and heard them fly over.  They weren't flying the same line that the C-130's flew toward the Rochester airport, so I have no idea where they were going.  They were headed to the East.  They definately have a unique sound when they fly over.

If I remember correctly, I saw about 7 of them fly over Wannamingo one time when I was waiting in the car at the auto shop there, I can't remember the name of it.

I'm not into the local sports so

Didn't know if you had went to school there, or just moved there.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 12:44:23 PM EDT
[#19]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoted:
Probably NOWHERE in MN is going to be as conservative as IN. In The Cities, Duluth, St. Cloud, Rochester, etc., you are going to find a lot of liberals. Same in the Iron Range, although they are just Dems because they have the union heritage. A place like Owatonna is essentially just a suburb of the Cities, so there are going to liberals there, too, although, hopefully there are fewer.

If/when you do move up here be prepared for some Minnesota Nice, that is, nice to your face if they don't ignore you completely, & then they will stab you in the back just for fun. The simple fact is that Minnesotans are all prisoners of their Scandanavian & German heritage which means that they are a dour lot at best.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Garage-Logician replied:

That's an awful lot of generalizing and stereotyping, don't you think?

A couple of points...Owatonna is hardly a suburb of the greater Twin Cities and you can find liberals anywhere, if you look for them. I'm not Scandanavian or German in heritage, nor am I "dour" at best. If your post gets shitcanned, it'll probably be because you added absolutely no useful information to the thread. If you don't like MN, leave (or if you already have, stop visiting the Hometown Forum).

rynich -

The southern part of the state is definitely more conservative than the Twin Cities metro area. But the same can be said of any large or growing metro area. As it grows, it becomes more urban and more liberal in nature. That is happening to Rochester now. Rural Olmstead County (the Rochester area) is pretty solidly conservative though.

First, thanks for proving my point with your cheerful reply.  You remember, the one about Minnesotans being so friendly.  Second, There really aren't any stereotypes there.  It's pretty much all facts, unlike your dour rebuttal.  Third, there is a lot of important and useful information in my post.  It's good for people who are thinking about moving here to have the straight story rather than the Chamber of Commerce story about all of that Minnesota Nice bullshit.  Fourth, another poster made my point about the liberals being everywhere in MN, with the comment about the Rochester PD being antigun and the defeat of Boudreau.  Or, is that now a conservative stance?  Fifth, Owatonna is virtually a suburb of the Cities today.  You may not think so, but don't let the coming reality bite you in the ass.  Sixth, I would have moved out of this state a long time ago if I could afford it, as I've said on this forum several times.  Not that that is any of your business.

For you sarcasm impaired Minnesotans please note that there is some sarcasm in my post above.

Finally, can't you come up with a better screen name than something thought up by that lame Soucheray?  That guy has so little imagination that he can only be an anti Prairie Home Companion.  BTW, I'm no fan of Keillor either.  His schtick was worn out 20 years ago.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:05:14 AM EDT
[#20]
The liberal aspect that I have experienced on many visits is quite obvious, One thing I find funny is how racsist many people are that I have met, they have this fantasy vision that they are all inclusive.  At least from those I've met, the rest of you may flame me on that but it was just an observation I noticed from talking with many Minnasotians.  One other observation I don't drink but dayum you guys like your beer.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:44:19 AM EDT
[#21]
OK STOP IT, BOTH OF YOU!

Can we try to keep this thread to useful info about Rochester and not whether or not MN is c00l or teh suck!

These threads get locked because of personal attacks, you should both know the code of conduct.

Having a bad day, Hardcase?  Why do you have to slam MN so much?

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:52:17 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
The liberal aspect that I have experienced on many visits is quite obvious, One thing I find funny is how racsist many people are that I have met, they have this fantasy vision that they are all inclusive.  At least from those I've met, the rest of you may flame me on that but it was just an observation I noticed from talking with many Minnasotians.  One other observation I don't drink but dayum you guys like your beer.

Just out of curiosity, what part of Indiana are you from?  

My wife is from Green Bay, but her relatives on her mothers side are all from Indiana.  I've spent a lot of time down in Indiana, and they've come up here a lot too (more than I'd prefer).  And my observations (from the numerous short visits) are: 1. The area's of Indiana I frequented deffinately do NOT make MN look racist.  2.  We drink a lot of beer.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:58:21 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
One other observation I don't drink but dayum you guys like your beer.

I don't drink either, but from what I've been told, we're #2, right behind Wisconsin.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 6:14:20 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm not slaming your state I like MN, I'm from the part of Indiana the South western kind of central part.  
Now keep in mind I have not spoken to everyone in your state, not even .0002 percent of the population.  it was just an interesting observation that I didn't expect that is all.  

I would like to be up north there, because I would also like my son to play Hockey, and I like the accent.  Especially when you say Boat, or as my wife says "you betcha".
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:10:26 PM EDT
[#25]

OK STOP IT, BOTH OF YOU!

Can we try to keep this thread to useful info about Rochester and not whether or not MN is c00l or teh suck!

These threads get locked because of personal attacks, you should both know the code of conduct.

Having a bad day, Hardcase? Why do you have to slam MN so much?

First, on the OK STOP IT:  Nah, nah, boo boo!  I guess that it's going to be hard for you to find a comeback to that one, huh?  

Second, Rochester or MN, all the same to me.  You can't very well talk about Rochester in a vacuum, like it exists totally separately from the rest of MN.  For that matter, I can make a good case that is virtually a suburb of The Cities.

Third, when did I make a personal attack on anybody, especially in this thread?  Is there a sarcasm impairment problem on your part, from when I called his post "cheerful?"  Along those lines; I find another really disturbing characteristic that seems to be unique to Minnesota.  That is apparently you take PERSONAL offense about calling the people of MN "dour."  All of that passive/aggressivism is rampant by Minnesotans.  It's all about ME, ME, ME, all the time.  Get over it!  Frankly Garage-Logician, you are merely a product of the ultraliberal Minnesota school system that places "feelings" paramount.  Likewise, just because you say something doesn't make it so.  Yet another trait that you have had beat into your brain by your liberal Minnesota school system.  Can't you think critically?  Did you ever actually consider "maybe this guy is correct?"

Fourth, RE: "Having a bad day..." stated as a question sounds more like a personal attack on ME.

Fifth, as far as slamming MN, I don't see it that way.  It's merely a recitation of facts on my part.  BTW, I'm not the only person in the whole world who has noticed how unfriendly MN is.  I've had people mention it to me out-of-the blue.  Also, you apparently didn't read the article in the Red Star Tribune a few years ago by the writer from London, did you?  His point was that Minnesotans are artificially nice.  So the net to the gentleman from Indiana is that he is going to find Minnesota much different than Indiana.  I've been there many times & I can tell you that almost universally, people are much nicer down there.

Sixth, I am always interested to see how the MN natives rip on DPMS so much.  I do not have any relationship with them, nor do I work for them or anything like that.  I suppose that it's a matter of not appreciating that which is right in your back yard.  dpmmn, as I recall you have several DPMS rifles with which you have had problems & you are now a Colt guy.  Please correct me if I'm wrong, but have you tried to discuss it with them lately?  I can only guess that your previous problems may have come when they were going through a growth spurt or something.  Is there more to the story that we don't know?  Did your build them yourself & do it incorrectly?  Do you reload your own & load it too hot or not hot enough?  Have you added a lot of aftermarket stuff that affects the way that the rifles handle?  I just grasping at straws here, but...

Anyway, good luck to the gentleman who is thinking about moving here & to all of the rest of you for that matter.  I just keep on trying every day to make MN a little less "dour," even if you don't take that away from this post.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 5:10:52 AM EDT
[#26]
So much for keeping the thread limited to useful info about Rochester....
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:24:43 AM EDT
[#27]
Sorry guys
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:34:16 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Sorry guys

Yeah, thanks for screwing up this thread, Asshat!

And, welcome to MN, have a nice day!

Edited for spelling.

(you know I'm jus pulling yer chain, right?)
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 9:00:33 AM EDT
[#29]
Thanks
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 3:54:21 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

OK STOP IT, BOTH OF YOU!

Having a bad day, Hardcase? Why do you have to slam MN so much?

First, on the OK STOP IT:  Nah, nah, boo boo!  I guess that it's going to be hard for you to find a comeback to that one, huh?  

Second, Rochester or MN, all the same to me.  You can't very well talk about Rochester in a vacuum, like it exists totally separately from the rest of MN.  For that matter, I can make a good case that is virtually a suburb of The Cities.

Third, when did I make a personal attack on anybody, especially in this thread?  Is there a sarcasm impairment problem on your part, from when I called his post "cheerful?"  Along those lines; I find another really disturbing characteristic that seems to be unique to Minnesota.  That is apparently you take PERSONAL offense about calling the people of MN "dour."  All of that passive/aggressivism is rampant by Minnesotans.  It's all about ME, ME, ME, all the time.  Get over it!  Frankly Garage-Logician, you are merely a product of the ultraliberal Minnesota school system that places "feelings" paramount.  Likewise, just because you say something doesn't make it so.  Yet another trait that you have had beat into your brain by your liberal Minnesota school system.  Can't you think critically?  Did you ever actually consider "maybe this guy is correct?"

Fourth, RE: "Having a bad day..." stated as a question sounds more like a personal attack on ME.

Fifth, as far as slamming MN, I don't see it that way.  It's merely a recitation of facts on my part.  BTW, I'm not the only person in the whole world who has noticed how unfriendly MN is.  I've had people mention it to me out-of-the blue.  Also, you apparently didn't read the article in the Red Star Tribune a few years ago by the writer from London, did you?  His point was that Minnesotans are artificially nice.  So the net to the gentleman from Indiana is that he is going to find Minnesota much different than Indiana.  I've been there many times & I can tell you that almost universally, people are much nicer down there.

Sixth, I am always interested to see how the MN natives rip on DPMS so much.  I do not have any relationship with them, nor do I work for them or anything like that.  I suppose that it's a matter of not appreciating that which is right in your back yard.  dpmmn, as I recall you have several DPMS rifles with which you have had problems & you are now a Colt guy.  Please correct me if I'm wrong, but have you tried to discuss it with them lately?  I can only guess that your previous problems may have come when they were going through a growth spurt or something.  Is there more to the story that we don't know?  Did your build them yourself & do it incorrectly?  Do you reload your own & load it too hot or not hot enough?  Have you added a lot of aftermarket stuff that affects the way that the rifles handle?  I just grasping at straws here, but...

Anyway, good luck to the gentleman who is thinking about moving here & to all of the rest of you for that matter.  I just keep on trying every day to make MN a little less "dour," even if you don't take that away from this post.

I have to agree with you on the DPMS sour apples, I have nothing but good results from them and they go out of their way to help customers........
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 4:22:37 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 1:28:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Well, I see that, in true Minnesotan's fashion Garage Guy took our discussion to another thread without telling me about how he was going to rip me again.  It can't be any of that stab-you-in-the-back, passive aggressive stuff, can it?

Here it is for anybody who is interested:

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=28&t=207630
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:04:46 PM EDT
[#33]
I have lived in Rochester,  MN all 22years of my life.   Im not sure about the Taxes in Rochester because The only taxes I pay are what comes out of my paycheck.   And Minneapolis is located about one hour north from Rochester.    Anway We have like 4 really cool golf courses and we have three big highschools  John Marshall Home of the JM Rockets I went to school at JM,  Mayo highschool , and Century highschool,  We have alot of schools in Rochester and the school lunches aint that bad.   And Rochester community and technical college.   We have good hospitals too like St. Marys, Methodist hospitals.   Also There is the Mayo clinic downtown.   Downtown Rochester has some of my favorite bars there all in walking distance from eachother.   We have a mall here I seen my girlfriend spend alot of my money there.  The Rochester Police Department does a great job on keeping streets safe I never had to call them before.    Not much for fishing around here but the DNR stocks a lake here in town with BIG Rainbow Trout .  and we have Silver Lake it has fish Ive seen alot of big carp and bullheads come out of there.  But the dam at Silver lake holds big Large mouth bass and if you know were to look the zumbro river also hold Small and Large mouthbass.   The state game land around Rochester is really good for how much it gets hunted.  Ive shot  Turkey,  Whitetale deer,  Pheasant, Rabbits,  Grey and Fox squirrels thats just around Rochester.   I once seen a Flying squirrel I didn't think they were real but now I know.  We have two gun shops in Rochester  Dales gunshop and Wildgoose sports Inc.  also Gander moutain. There are two Target Ranges around Rochester one is in Byron it has a 300yard target range and a 25yard pistol range and archery range.   The other range is just on the outskirts of Rochester I never been there before but Ive heard it has a 250yard rifle range and a big ClayTarget range.   If you wan't to know anything about Rochester MN just ask man.  
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 9:05:34 AM EDT
[#34]
Thanks for the Info
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 8:53:36 AM EDT
[#35]
the 3 ranges in the roch area,  the byron has a great rifle range with 50, 100,200,300 yard ranges. has nice solid benches (rock solid cement and steel built)   handgun is 25 yard only. both ranges shooting area are covered and nice.  byron also does sporting clays 1 or 2 times a week.  the rochester club (really in chester)  is more a handgun range with a couple of 100 and 200 yard bays.  there is also the minute man range north of mantorville.  they are a 8 lane indoor pistol range.  rimfire and pistol cal carbines, handguns up to 45 acp and 357 mag are the max allowed.  last time there is was $20 per person and you get your own lane,  no time limit either.   with a drive to holmen wi about 80 miles there are monthly 3 gun shoots and uspsa matches.  owatonna is nice for they also have a cabelas store.  

i had not heard the the olmsted county law enforcement were aiding in being against Boudreau in the last election.  what seems odd is that rochester and olmsted county are not in Boudreaus district,  she had the fairboult(sp) area.  the sheriff gave me a carry permit for free for 2 years before the 2003 mppa passed.  and it is my understanding that the sheriff had worked with the mppa writers to calm law enforcement concerns.  betting money is on the roch police chief is a anti though.  but for carry permits, that task is done by the sheriff anyway.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top