Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/9/2005 6:26:07 AM EDT
Has anybody had dealings with J S Custom Gun Shop?
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 7:22:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes, I asked them to do a transfer for me a couple of years ago.  They were barely civil in the process.  It was like I was stealing from them.  As if that isn't enough, one of the principals is a friend of a friend.  I didn't play that card because I wanted to see how they really were.

Even though they have a nice supply of black rifles, I don't think that I would deal with them just because they are so snippy & short.  Maybe it's just the typical "Minnesota Nice" but one of the guys wouldn't even give me a civil answer when I asked him why the Wilson stuff was worth more than A, B, C, & D.  He apparently didn't know but didn't want to admit it.  Also, they don't carry any DPMS products, because supposedly the Lakeville PD tried them & didn't like them.  They don't have any idea WHY, but that's enough for them not to carry the products.  I broached the subject with one of the DPMS guys a while ago & he thought that it might have been because Lakeville was using incorrect ammo.  Lotta hearsay on my part, so YMMV.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 7:37:21 AM EDT
[#2]
They tuned my Springer Compact to feed hollows with reliabilty, the gun works well. On the spendy side, turn around is slow.
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 10:28:36 AM EDT
[#3]
There are better prices purveyors of guns in the cities.  They are way over priced.  Here is a perfect example of over priced.  Used HK UPS 45ACP Fullsize with case and 2 10rd mag and Hogue Handall, all for 650.  The Gunstop had one in similar shape, for around 500 bucks.  Holy Cow! That is a big difference in price.  They have some nice toys in there and I like their new quarters.  But, I hand over to Howard and John my funds for guns and supplies.  Friendlier and closer!
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 11:10:31 AM EDT
[#4]
I've been in there twice.  

First time I was looking for a revolver, and had cash and permit in hand.  I waited to be helped, and finally had to ask to see a revolver, at which time I realized I was obviously interrupting their empty shop.  I left with my money and bought the revolver from Gander Mountain for less than they were asking.

The second time, the guy behind the counter was nice enough.  They didn't have the gun I was looking for.  I asked about ordering one, and he just kind of looked at me, most places would order one for you, but maybe they don't?  I ended up ordering one myself, and Randy (Territorial Gunsmith) transfered it.
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 11:13:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Well, I am not geting a good vibe from them then, so where is a good place to get a RRA?  I know where to get a Bushy but well I don't want a Bushy...
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 11:21:19 AM EDT
[#6]
No one really besidea J&S has RRA stocked. The best idea is to buy your upper from www.adcofirearms.com/ and then get a lower seperately!  Cheaper!  There are other board sponors that have RRA stuff, too like  RB Precision or Pete in NH.
Adco has great service, plus a board sponsor.  You can snag a lower with NM trigger.

Here is another idea.  Big Fun Show in two weeks at Fairground DPMS will be there.  They usually are dealing pretty good on guns!  So, you might want to check them out?
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 11:21:21 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
But, I hand over to Howard and John my funds for guns and supplies.  Friendlier and closer!

I agree with you that John is the best for reloading stuff.  However, I tried to buy a Bushmaster from Howard, and had a different experience.  Larry took my money (their asking price), my permit, and I even filled out the yellow form.  Then Howard came back and said that he just remembered someone else wanted to buy the Bushy, and he handed my money and permit back.  It was a used Bushy, so I asked him to give me the same price on one of the other used AR's.  He said "No" and offered to sell me a new Bushy at normal price, over $800.  I guess the other guys money was better than mine.  I still give John all my money, but havent gave Howard any since.
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 11:22:57 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Well, I am not geting a good vibe from them then, so where is a good place to get a RRA?  I know where to get a Bushy but well I don't want a Bushy...

Unless you have your heart set on a RRA, you could ask Randy about a DPMS?
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 1:11:55 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have no intrest in DPMS, but thanks...

Also, did you need the handgun Permit to purchase, for getting an AR?  I am hearing yes from some and no from others.  All I know is when I got my AR-10 I did not need it, so can somebody shed some light on this for me.

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 2:01:52 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have no intrest in DPMS, but thanks...

Also, did you need the handgun Permit to purchase, for getting an AR?  I am hearing yes from some and no from others.  All I know is when I got my AR-10 I did not need it, so can somebody shed some light on this for me.

Thanks

Check Here for the best deals.  You will need your permit to purchase from your local PD and a copy of a local FFL for a transfer.  Or you can build your own lower.  Pick up one at the state fair gun show coming up.
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 4:25:10 PM EDT
[#11]
I have had mixed results there.  Once they were like what is being described above..short snooty and not particularly helpful.  However, I've been in there twice in the last six months and it was totally different.  They were helpful, even to the point of seeming like they wanted jsut to chat.  I priced out a new bussy from them and their prices were on par with other places.  A little higher than some, but lower than others and they had some in stock.  Maybe things are getting better there?

As far as a purchase permit goes.....It is my understanding that you need one to purchase what MN describes as an assult weapon...including any ar rifle.  At the last MWCA show at the convention center, the DPMS table would not sell a lower or complete rifle without a permit.
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 4:32:59 PM EDT
[#12]
J&S has always been an enigma to me.  I live pretty near to them and have been in many times - I've even bought a few guns, etc. in there.  For the most part they are overpriced, but occasionally I have found some decent deals.  It's the guys behind the counter that I can't figure out.  Jeff(owner?) will be the nicest guy in the world one day, and the next he'll act like I'm the biggest a$$hole in town just for walking into his store.  He's got a lot of nice stuff, but John and Howard get all of my extra dough these days...

Erud
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 5:46:24 PM EDT
[#13]
I think Cabella's and Sportman's Wharehouse carry Bushmaster.
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 7:43:12 PM EDT
[#14]
I have dropped into J&S several times in the past to buy small stuff, like primers and 1 lb. cans of powder. The staff there did not strike me as being particularly friendly. One time, they were out of the powder that I wanted. I asked when they were expecting new stock to arrive, and the guy replied, "It'll get here when it gets here."

Gander Mountain, across the freeway from J&S, now gets my firearms-related business.

DL
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 4:29:27 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Gander Mountain, across the freeway from J&S, now gets my firearms-related business.
DL

I work at a Gander Mountain, but we don't sell ARs  
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 4:56:52 AM EDT
[#16]
On another board it was related the GM would take delivery on ERB just that they do not stock them?  Where as Scheels is flat out NOT EBR friendly.

Quoted:

Quoted:
DL

Link Posted: 3/10/2005 6:01:39 AM EDT
[#17]
As I mentioned above, I haven't had any good experiences with them, but in their defense, one of the guys had some serious cancer a few years ago.  I don't know about you, but I would be pretty cranky if I was going through that.
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 6:04:16 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
On another board it was related the GM would take delivery on ERB just that they do not stock them?  Where as Scheels is flat out NOT EBR friendly.

Gander is not EBR friendly no more...
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 6:52:32 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
DL

Which Gander Mtn. do you work at???......I used to work part time at the one in Woodbury and also the Roseville Store before they moved to Maplewood................
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 6:54:11 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Gander is not EBR friendly no more...

Just go to Terr. gunsmiths or The Gunstop for your FFL transfers.  Mark Koscielski will do it, too, plus he stocks ARs and Aks. [evil]
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 8:24:42 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Which Gander Mtn. do you work at???.

Woodbury...
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 4:00:35 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
DL

I should clarify: Gander Mountain now gets most of my non-AR, firearms-related business.

Last time I was at Cabela's, I noticed they had a number of EBRs for sale. Didn't bother to look at the prices, though.

DL
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 5:26:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Randy is really no better than J&S from what I have seen lately. I know there are some good friends of Randy here, so I will explain my statement.

His prices are VERY reasonable and his work is above question. I can't think of a better AR or 1911 smith in the state...

But dealing with his bi-polar attitude has become unbearable and I just won't step into his shop anymore.

I wanted to pick up an M1 Garand, so I asked him about CMP.
"Unless you are going to compete and are willing to spend $1500, don't bother with CMP"
[I picked up a second hand Danish VAR barreled M1 from a friend and have never regretted it]

I was looking into getting a nice 30.06 deer rifle. (I was leaning towards Savage)
"I stopped doing transfers for Rem sh*t and Savage is $500 you will never see again."
[The guys I talked to over at GunStop were exactly the opposite]

I stopped by later to see about getting a beavertail grip safety put on my 1911.
"Springfield is junk. They are only a little better than Charles Daly. Get a Wilson Combat."
[I have never had any of my my SA 1911A1s in for service ever, and I put the Kings safety on myself for $35]

I asked him about Kahr one week, and he said I might as well join the Moonies.
I walked into his shop to pick up my DPMS, and he was very proud of his new P9.

I would rather send my firearms out of state and deal with the transfer fees than go back into Randy's shop. (unless the deal was worth the tongue lashing)

"The best part of beating your head against the wall is the feeling you get when you stop."
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 8:48:46 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Randy is really no better than J&S from what I have seen lately. I know there are some good friends of Randy here, so I will explain my statement.

His prices are VERY reasonable and his work is above question. I can't think of a better AR or 1911 smith in the state...

But dealing with his bi-polar attitude has become unbearable and I just won't step into his shop anymore.

"Unless you are going to compete and are willing to spend $1500, don't bother with CMP"
[I picked up a second hand Danish VAR barreled M1 from a friend and have never regretted it]

I was looking into getting a nice 30.06 deer rifle. (I was leaning towards Savage)
"I stopped doing transfers for Rem sh*t and Savage is $500 you will never see again."

I stopped by later to see about getting a beavertail grip safety put on my 1911.
"Springfield is junk. They are only a little better than Charles Daly. Get a Wilson Combat."
[I have never had any of my my SA 1911A1s in for service ever, and I put the Kings safety on myself for $35]

I would rather send my firearms out of state and deal with the transfer fees than go back into Randy's shop. (unless the deal was worth the tongue lashing)

"The best part of beating your head against the wall is the feeling you get when you stop."

So what did you do to piss Randy off?  

and as far as I am concerned he didn't lie to you when he said Springfield 1911's are junk,  I would personally recommend Colt.

You are just going to have to realize that Randy has forgot more about guns than you will ever know, and when you come to grips with this you will be much better off.
Do I make sense?
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 6:16:51 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

[ignore feature activated]

Link Posted: 3/11/2005 10:55:12 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

[ignore feature activated]

Hummmmmmm
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 12:26:02 PM EDT
[#27]
I talked to Randy at a gun show, he called me over as I walked by with an SKS-D that I was using as trade fodder. He immediatly started to tell me what a piece of sh*t the gun was.  I don't have any time for him.
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 5:06:00 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

I had a similar experience.  I realize that he has forgotten more about firearms than I will ever know, but that still doesn't give him the right to berate someone willing to give him business.  I won't go back.

Just my $0.02
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 9:58:03 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

So what did you do to piss Randy off?  

I showed up asking about CMP rifles. I didn't get a very helpful answer.
Had I listened to him on one of his bad days, I would never have gotten around to picking up a very fine Danish VAR barreled 1942 springfield.

and as far as I am concerned he didn't lie to you when he said Springfield 1911's are junk,  I would personally recommend Colt.

And how many IDPA champions are shooting Colts in competition? Please tell Rob Leatham his is shooting the wrong pistol. I'm sure he'll take your advice under advisement.

You are just going to have to realize that Randy has forgot more about guns than you will ever know, and when you come to grips with this you will be much better off.
Do I make sense?

Honestly, your not making a bit of sense.  

I don't know what post you read that makes anyone believe I said anything of the sort.

If you bother to search the forum, you would quickly realize I have had nothing but praise for his skills and talents from day one. Period.

Maybe I just catch him on all his bad days. Or maybe he just doesn't like my money. Either way, he is not getting my buisness ever again. Would that I be the sole person posting this, I would see the problem as the person in the mirror.

Randy has plenty of patrons to keep him busy. My money is going elsewhere.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 10:34:49 AM EDT
[#30]
I spent loads of money at J&S a few years ago: AR-10, 2 AR-15's and a Benelli M1S90 - all in about a 6 month time frame.  After spending all of that money and time in their store I thought maybe they'd recognize me and treat me as a serious customer.  Nope!  I'd stop in to look at some of their handguns (HK's in particular)... most of the time I'd barely get a "Hello" from anyone working there much less a "Can I help you?"

I ended up taking my business elsewhere.  I even wrote them a letter telling them that they had lost a good customer because of there piss-poor customer service.  Never heard a word back.

Screw J&S - I'll go elsewhere.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 6:49:57 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

So... where do you go no to get you AR-10 and AR-15 stuff?  Just woundering...
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 7:32:20 PM EDT
[#32]
If I can't get it directly from the manufacturer, I (fortunately) now have friends that are FFL's and are willing to get me pretty much whatever I want.    Its good to have friends.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 7:33:40 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So... where do you go no to get you AR-10 and AR-15 stuff?  Just woundering...

Gunstop generally has a decent selection of various ARs.  Hart Bros Armory down in Albert Lea has some as well.  

Adam @ Midwest Tactical has things like slings, holsters, Sully Stocks, etc, but I don't think he has a show room yet.

DPMS at the MWCA shows has a good selection of parts with good prices.

Otherwise, the bling bling stuff like Aimpoints/Eotechs/LaRue mounts, etc, are too expensive and specialized for anyone around here to stock.  
Link Posted: 3/18/2005 4:55:08 AM EDT
[#34]
Where is Gunstop located?
Link Posted: 3/18/2005 5:16:36 AM EDT
[#35]
Here you go: www.gunstop.com
Link Posted: 3/18/2005 6:26:23 AM EDT
[#36]
You can access it off of 494 by going west on MN 7 to the first stop light west of 494.  There is Famous Dave's to your left and bank on the corner.  You double back east to the the General Store and turn south on Woodhill Rd.  You then proceed south till you run out of road.  When the road meets Excelsior Blvd.  You will see a strip mall with a close looking grocery store on the south end.  On the east facing portion of the stip mall you will see the letters GS.  You are now at the  Gunstop!

Yahoo Map to Gunstop

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top