Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/18/2022 1:06:23 PM EDT
I took a pistol class with these guys last year and really enjoyed it, wanted to share them here since there's not a lot of this kind of thing in this area. I have no affiliation with this group other than being a satisfied customer.

They are offering a pistol class in June and a rifle class in July.

https://practicaldefensivetraining.com/

I'll be taking the rifle class this year.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 11:12:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Interesting. Would it be worth while for an intermediate level shooter?
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 8:21:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Interesting. Would it be worth while for an intermediate level shooter?
View Quote

I think it's always worth going back to fundamentals every once in awhile. You'll probably not learn anything "new" but you would probably learn a new way of looking at something from a different point of view.

If nothing else you'd have a good time and meet some people.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 10:07:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Read their class info.

$185 for bare bones basic range day.

Not for me, YMMV.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 7:50:47 AM EDT
[#4]
I wouldn't necessarily consider it a bare bones basic range day. For someone like me that's never had any formal instruction their pistol class, while introductory, did teach me a lot and I left a better shooter than I was when I showed up that morning.

I don't see most people ever practice drawing from a holster, or transitioning from rifle to pistol, etc. because most ranges around here are 1) indoors and 2) don't allow that kind of stuff.

But yes if you have your own land or access to it and do that kind of stuff regularly then this might not be for you.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 5:24:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 9:44:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Hmm interesting
I never knew they existed and they just down the road.
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 12:59:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Hmm interesting
I never knew they existed and they just down the road.
View Quote

Yeah that's what made me take the leap last year. I have no bar to measure how good they are other than the fact that when I left I was able to shooter faster, and get more shots where I intended them to be than when I showed up.
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 2:13:00 PM EDT
[#8]
I think this is the Co. that was started by Joe Kalil but he sold it to the current owners? Joe put on very good training classes. No idea about the current owners?
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 10:17:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Wonder how it compares to the classes at Range USA
Link Posted: 7/26/2022 10:44:54 AM EDT
[#10]
AAR

It probably wouldn't appeal to anyone who has taken other classes, or has gone through basic training. But I enjoyed it.

Started the day by confirming zero with everyones rifles, after that we moved back to 75 yards to shoot  a 1/3rd steel silhouette just as a confidence booster for people who hadn't done that before.

After that we practiced, reloads. Tactical/proactive and emergency. This was something I found I need to make adjustments to my mag pouch set up to make that easier.

Then we practiced malfunction clearing by inducing malfunctions. A classmate would load your mag with varying numbers of dummy rounds to clear with a tap rack bang. Then we induced stove pipes and double feeds.

After that we did transitioning from rifle to pistol, and shooting around barriers. I have a lot to work on with switching my rifle from right to left shoulder, and pie-ing a corner.

It was a basic class, to be expected from something titled rifle 1. I enjoyed it and it gave me homework to work on.
Link Posted: 7/26/2022 2:53:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Sounds like a good time and exactly what Rifle 1 should be, might send my nephew.  Do they do Rifle 2, 3?
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 9:20:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Sounds like a good time and exactly what Rifle 1 should be, might send my nephew.  Do they do Rifle 2, 3?
View Quote

Haven't seen any mention of a rifle 2, but after I've improved on these skills on my own I do plan to reach out and ask him if he has any plans for one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top