Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/24/2014 5:25:18 PM EDT
My carry permit expires at the end of February.  The thing is that I might be taking a job out of state, in California.  Yes, Yes, I know, pick the one state that makes CT look liberal in its gun laws...

Im not really going to know how this all shakes out till mid Feb.  Id rather not just GIVE the state of CT $70 for my permit renewal if Im going to leave a few weeks later.

If one has a permit and moves out of state, does that permit then roll over to being a non resident permit?  I dont know why, but that would make me feel better about the fee.  Also, is there a grace period or if my permit is up say, Feb 15, then if I dont have paperwork in on the 16th Im SOL?

Link Posted: 1/24/2014 5:31:08 PM EDT
[#1]
I think you can just change the address on the permit and then it counts as a non resident permit. Maybe I'm wrong
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 5:36:11 PM EDT
[#2]
If you move ...no matter where....keep your CT permit. You have to notify the state of the change of address. Thats it.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 5:48:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I would not go past the expiration date.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 6:16:13 PM EDT
[#4]
according to despp:

State pistol permit holders are granted a 90 grace period to renew their permit. Permits expired beyond 90 days will not be renewed.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 6:26:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes keep it never give it up its only 70 bucks
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 10:32:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes keep it never give it up its only 70 bucks
View Quote

Quoting this in case you haven't heard it yet.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 8:03:10 AM EDT
[#7]
I dont want to give it up!  My not renewing question was more of a will I give the state $ only to have it for naught if I move.  Because Im not simply going to GIVE this state any more money than I have to...

Sounds like I can get it and keep it, even if I move, which is what I actually want.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 8:31:46 AM EDT
[#8]
The 90 day grace period is just to renew it without having to resubmit a new application with all the fees and b.s., yes?

However, the day after the permit expires, it is not permitted to carry a handgun with the expired permit and claim a 90 day grace period, yes?
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 8:51:46 AM EDT
[#9]
I would assume you are absolutely right.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 12:43:04 PM EDT
[#10]
If there is a chance to put your 2 feet back in this state in the future, keep the permit active. You will need a gun and carry it if you visit here. No?
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 4:50:02 AM EDT
[#11]
If you like your permit, you can keep your permit.Period
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 8:01:04 AM EDT
[#12]
The smart decision is to renew it, change your address if you move, , and keep renewing it so long as the law allows you to. You never know if or when you will find yourself in Connecticut- or one of the few other states that recognizes a connecticut permit. At worst, it'll be cool secondary ID.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top