Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/25/2006 1:43:28 PM EDT
The story as I was told it goes as follows. David Lyman ordered two ARs for the range store. Two new preban AR were incorrectly shipped to the range store. These ARs were received on a Friday and both Dave and the other regular store guy were not around.

Enter two guys from the Durham Raccoon club who ask the counter person if the store has any ARs. The weekend guy replies, Yeah we just got two in. A sale was made and these guys show off their purchase to an off duty state cop back at their club. Cop has no choice but to report the illegal AR.

I'm told Dave Lyman was able to produce paperwork that proves the incorrect shipment and in the end was forced to close the range gun store for a week as a penalty.

I also heard that David Lyman is in the midst of a battle with his brothers over the fate of the range. Apparently his brothers who have never had anything to do with the range now after the passing of their father are looking to turn a profit with the land. With family like that who needs enemies!
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:46:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Sorry  but Ive got to call BS on that one. I was in the store during mid week, and saw one of the rifles  and asked about it, I dont know the owner by name but the guy that is in the shop all the time, for as long as Ive been going there explained to me no that I was wrong and it is in fact a legal rifle to sell in CT because its not a Colt, even though it had a collapsable stock, bayo lug, and bird cage on it. And apparently i was not the only one told the same exact thing.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:53:48 PM EDT
[#2]
You were in the store Mid-week, when, before the incident in question?

FYI, what I was told is nothing more than, what I was told. As far as the accuracy goes who knows? That said I haven't heard any other explanations.

Maybe there is some truth in there.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 4:07:36 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Sorry  but Ive got to call BS on that one. I was in the store during mid week, and saw one of the rifles  and asked about it, I dont know the owner by name but the guy that is in the shop all the time, for as long as Ive been going there explained to me no that I was wrong and it is in fact a legal rifle to sell in CT because its not a Colt, even though it had a collapsable stock, bayo lug, and bird cage on it. And apparently i was not the only one told the same exact thing.

I imagine that was the same dude that acted like I was the retard when I spoke up about one of the Bushies.

- BG
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:29:45 PM EDT
[#4]
I know someone personally that bought one of the rifles and that is not how it went down..
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 4:30:48 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I know someone personally that bought one of the rifles and that is not how it went down..

Would you mind sharing what happened?
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 4:41:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:10:10 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

yes, inquiring minds and all that.....please share if you can.

Yeah, I agree. I would like to hear the real story.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 10:51:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Straing enough I heard a similar incident happened about a year ago at Blue Trails.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:31:36 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
The story as I was told it goes as follows. David Lyman ordered two ARs for the range store. Two new preban AR were incorrectly shipped to the range store. These ARs were received on a Friday and both Dave and the other regular store guy were not around.

Enter two guys from the Durham Raccoon club who ask the counter person if the store has any ARs. The weekend guy replies, Yeah we just got two in. A sale was made and these guys show off their purchase to an off duty state cop back at their club. Cop has no choice but to report the illegal AR.

I'm told Dave Lyman was able to produce paperwork that proves the incorrect shipment and in the end was forced to close the range gun store for a week as a penalty.

I also heard that David Lyman is in the midst of a battle with his brothers over the fate of the range. Apparently his brothers who have never had anything to do with the range now after the passing of their father are looking to turn a profit with the land. With family like that who needs enemies!

Bullshit
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:29:29 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bullshit

Why is that?

A police officer has a legal obligation to report ANY crime he has knowledge of. Same as a doctor having a legal obligation to report a suspected sex crime or child abuse, and a teacher having a legal obligation to report the same. A police officer is risking his job, and possible criminal charges for "over-looking" a crime that has been comitted. I know of several police officers, two personally, who have lost their jobs, or faced serious accusations because of something they didn't report.
In one case an officer was fired because his girlfriend was selling drugs. The officer was in no way involved, but he was fully aware of it, and failed to report it.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:24:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Len Smittner at Blue Trails made the following comment on this "story is not true"

A phone call to the store would have verified this before posting.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:08:24 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bullshit

Why is that?

A police officer has a legal obligation to report ANY crime he has knowledge of. Same as a doctor having a legal obligation to report a suspected sex crime or child abuse, and a teacher having a legal obligation to report the same. A police officer is risking his job, and possible criminal charges for "over-looking" a crime that has been comitted. I know of several police officers, two personally, who have lost their jobs, or faced serious accusations because of something they didn't report.
In one case an officer was fired because his girlfriend was selling drugs. The officer was in no way involved, but he was fully aware of it, and failed to report it.

I call Bullshit also, on a cop reporting a illegally configured firearm. Theres no black and white as a REAL cop. Theres alot of grey! This isnt a crime, its a gun being sold buy a dealer w/papers, my 02cents in iraq money!
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:47:05 AM EDT
[#13]

A police officer has a legal obligation to report ANY crime he has knowledge of
Is it legal or moral obligation?
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 9:27:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Part of being an LEO is never being off duty if you witness a crime. In most cases you become a witness, but inthe case of a serious (i.e. violent) felony you may have to act on the spot. Some departments require their officers to be armed 24\7. In the case of being at a local range or club, I think that unless there was gun play or possible illegal class III activity any officer would be hard pressed to 'investigate'/. I have an FBI agent at my club and he has never asked anyone about the ban status of a rifle, or the license status of a pistol.  

Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 3:12:54 PM EDT
[#15]

but inthe case of a serious (i.e. violent) felony you may have to act on the spot

That goes w/out saying but in this case, "shall" means may and not must right?
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 6:29:15 PM EDT
[#16]
No. The converse is true. As with permits: "shall issue" states vs. "may issue" states.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 9:16:44 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

It's a legal obligation.

It's part of the oath all LEO's take upon being sworn in, and assuming the authority of the state/municipality in which they will work.

Link Posted: 3/11/2006 3:25:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Most LEOs (apart from CT State Police SLFU) couldn't tell the difference between "banned" and "not banned" firearms. The clubs I belong to have many LEOs, many are gun enthusiasts and once in a great while you do encounter a total prick and I have been and have seen legal shooters lawfully possessing either pre ban guns or even post ban guns get challenged on the spot. with comments
like "them ain't legal" (how's that for grammar?) I've had that happen to  me before when shooting
a post ban rifle at a range.

Link Posted: 3/11/2006 11:40:02 AM EDT
[#19]
You guys do know that "pre-ban" ARs other than Colts are legal in CT? The Colts must be registered in order to be legal.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:52:38 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
You guys do know that "pre-ban" ARs other than Colts are legal in CT? The Colts must be registered in order to be legal.

True statement.

Just some FYI info.

Some refer to AR made since the sunset of the federal ban as "Pre-Ban" since they have all the "evil" features. These new pre-ban style rifles are not legal in CT. CT has it's own ban in force with no sunset.

Also there was a window to register your Colt it closed a long time ago. No one can register one now. Even if you happen to move into CT with a old pre-ban Colt that has been yours since long before any bans were on the table.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 9:07:35 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Some refer to AR made since the sunset of the federal ban as "Pre-Ban" since they have all the "evil" features. These new pre-ban style rifles are not legal in CT.

Yes. We call these "No-ban" rifles.

Pre-ban.
Post-ban.
No-ban.

Also there was a window to register your Colt it closed a long time ago. No one can register one now. Even if you happen to move into CT with a old pre-ban Colt that has been yours since long before any bans were on the table.

Also true. Interestingly, "pre-bans" like Olympic and Bushmaster, which did not have to be registered back in '93, are 100% legal to own in CT with no registration.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top