Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2006 3:11:03 PM EDT
I am new to this site and AR's in general so bear with me if this has been covered before.  I want to build my own AR from parts kits.  But, several local gun (western MA) dealers are refusing to transfer a lower assembley from an out of state source saying the transfer is illegal in Mass or not worth the risk for them losing there state  firearms business license if the authorties decide to question the transfer. Any suggestion or should I go to a out of state dealer  to do the transfer.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:43:37 PM EDT
[#1]
If you build a new AR in pre-ban/no-ban configuration, you will be facing a felony charge if found out.

NOTHING illegal about building up a "post-ban" style AR from parts.

Either find another less paranoid dealer or buy the parts in NH/VT and bring them home. You can buy long guns and parts out of state legally.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:18:07 PM EDT
[#2]

Of course this will be a legal post-ban build.

I knew their responses where bogus. I tried arguing with them but all but one of the shops stated it was illegal to build, the other said it would be legal but they could loose there license if someone decided to question the transfer. This probably stems from ignorance of the actual laws of the state. Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 12:27:18 PM EDT
[#3]
I built another one up last year.
No issues with getting a lower shipped in to my FFL.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:22:24 PM EDT
[#4]
They are full of shit. Just keep shopping around for a different dealer.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 2:38:28 PM EDT
[#5]
so you can buy long guns such as AR's from other states and drive them back to MA in your car?
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 3:56:48 PM EDT
[#6]
I recently purchased a lower receiver in MA, no problems,  I asked if  it could be registered as a Pistol lower, but that is not allowed
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:02:59 PM EDT
[#7]

Former MA resident checking in.  If you don't mind taking a drive east to Woburn then talk to Four Seasons.  They should transfer it for you without any problems.  Last year when I was still living in the state, I had them do transfers for me on one FAL receiver and a pair of Kalashnikov (OOW) receivers.  Transfer fee was $40 per receiver last time I checked.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 10:17:04 PM EDT
[#8]
cbsbyte-  which gun shops in w.ma have you tried?  so i don't go to those.  if you find one in w.ma, please post it.  i'll do the same.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 10:12:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Personally there are only a half dozen stores I will deal with in the Western Mass area. I void many places do  to their repuations, and my own pervious experience.  Ware Gunshop, in Ware Mass was willing  do the transfer if the lower was stripped. There where a few places that would also do it but they added sales tax, high transfers fees etc.  I even called a couple of places in New York state, but they would not do the transfer to a Mass resident.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 1:43:26 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Former MA resident checking in.  If you don't mind taking a drive east to Woburn then talk to Four Seasons.  They should transfer it for you without any problems.  Last year when I was still living in the state, I had them do transfers for me on one FAL receiver and a pair of Kalashnikov (OOW) receivers.  Transfer fee was $40 per receiver last time I checked.

I have heard that Four Season is a great store, and probably one of the best in Mass, but they are too far  for me to make it worth the effort.  
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 12:26:04 AM EDT
[#11]
i'm trying to find a good gun shop here in w.ma.  jurek's in greenfield used to be good.  but they decided to only deal with law enforcement.  taking the trip to four seasons might not be a bad idea.  been wanting to check out the shop anyway.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 12:43:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Call Zero Hour Arms in Easton, MA. Trust me I just transferred a Noveske lower through them. They even offered to install the LPK for me or let me use their tools. Definitely go through these guys.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:54:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Four Seasons isn't all that great. They have some good deals once in a while but for the most part they are over priced and a little stuck up. I'm not a huge fan of people that want to tell me how much they know about guns and how much better what ever they have is over what I have.

Zero Hour Arms is a better and I've found they have cheaper prices on glocks. (50-100 bucks cheaper than FS.)  There is also a FFL in Natick MA that was doing transfers for $25 last time I check. How people get away with $40 blows me away. $40 for 20 mins of work. My car mechanic is cheaper than that.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 5:20:15 PM EDT
[#14]
guess i'll have to check them out.  thanx for the info.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top