Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/8/2005 9:18:56 AM EDT
I don't care about employment opportunities so where is the best area in Vermont or New Hampshire to live? I'm not interested in the Ski/Vacation/Tourist areas and as close to the southern NYS border if possible. If that's out of the question anywhere in VT or NH. TIA for any help.
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 12:59:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Other than maybe avoiding the most southern cities which can be infested with MAssholes, any place in NH/VT I think is good.  

Though I like being atlease near larger cities so I would pick the Manchester area.
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 4:01:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Central VT is GORGEOUS.  Personally, I like the areas just south of Waterbury and Stowe -> Waitsfield, Warren, Moretown, Duxbury area.  Those areas are close enough to Burlington (bout 45 min - hour)and the interstate but far enough away where you get some solitude.  I plan on moving there myself but I am actually making a move to NH I think, for a few years.  

In NH, I would say the White Mountains.  Absolutely beautiful area.  Avoid Conway and anything in the immediate proximity as it is a HUGE tourist area.  My family had a house in Bethlehem NH for many years and that's a great area.  Nice scenery up there.  Cold winters though.  Anything in Franconia Notch is nice but some areas a touristy.  Places like Sugar Hill aren't bad, Bethlehem, whitefield.  Close enough to Littleton (shopping, Wal-Mart and Corey's gun shop) but out enough where it's quiet and fairly cheap.  Can't beat the views from those areas.

In both states, pay attention to where the ski areas are - that's where you are gonna get real touristy.  Stowe in VT - near the village can get busy but the outskirts are nice.  In VT, you rally only have to worry about the immediate area of the tourist attraction where NH you have to pay attention to the surrounding areas too.  I am speaking for Central/Northern VT.  I wouldn't be caught dead living anywhere near Killington or Okemo.  

As far as being pretty close to NYS border - check out Bristol, Vergennes, Ferrisburg, southern Hinesburg, Charlotte or any of the Islands.

What kind of living you looking for?  North Western VT/Islands is flat, central is pretty "bumpy"....
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 7:56:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks nikon for some good info. Anyone else?
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:49:13 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Thanks nikon for some good info. Anyone else?

I live just north of Middlebury. Great area between Rutland and just south of Burlington and west to the lake. You mentioned wanting easy access to NYS, and it's the best part of the state for that.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 4:27:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 4:56:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Whenever someone says "best" I cringe because it's so subjective.  What are your goals and objectives - requrirements drive your hunt.

If your goal is to buy hundreds of acres, away from everyone, then northern NH and VT are both excellent choices.  Northern NH near the Canadian border still has great bargains (300 acres for $60k, etc.).  While not as rural , I love North Hero VT b/c you can get a nice place with acreage and you are only a short drive from the lake and great fishing opportunites.  

If you want to be semi-rural, but still close to large cities, try Mont Vernon NH, Francestown or Peterborough, NH.  They are all more expensive, but you have country living and are an hour to an hour and a half from Boston.  

It all depends on your criteria for what constitutes 'best'.  

Link Posted: 12/24/2005 8:36:09 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I have three friends that live within a few miles of each other near Randolph. Beautiful country, plenty of natural resources, good location. Land is relatively affordable and pretty much all of their neighbors are good folks. Wish I could live up there.....they are about 40 minutes from White River and Lebanon NH, but still off the beaten path.

I just bought 11.5 acres of mixed woods in that area for $62,000.  It is a beautiful area, not too close to citys but not too far away.  There's pleanty of hunting/fishing and lots of water.  It's great as long as you can stand the winters.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 9:51:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Don't care about a job, then the Northeast Kingdom. Largest record deer in the state. 26 mile lake and many others close by. Not a tourist area. Full of poor unemoloyed Vermonters who love guns and snow machines.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 9:52:17 AM EDT
[#9]
I really can't think of a terrible place to live in central/northern VT.  All beautiful areas as long as you are on the outskirts or out of chittenden county.  I can't stand being in CC right now - too many people.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 9:54:31 AM EDT
[#10]
One other thing, the closer you are to the Mass border, the pricier the housing and taxes will be.
A $400,000 house on the border of Mass will cost you $260,000 2 hours further north.

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 10:19:01 AM EDT
[#11]
I have been pretty happy in southwest VT so far, but there are a fair number of liberals and the housing prices/property tax rates are taking some time to sink in, coming from Colorado.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:01:39 PM EDT
[#12]
I live in Exeter NH and I am thinking of moving.  Way to many Massholes moving in. If you dont mind the massholes and the traffic that comes with them than exeter is great only prob is the cost of living is very high. I have land in Danbury (349.5 acres we got for 80 grand 7 years ago)and may make the move out that way but there isn't many jobs.  It is beautiful there. Try looking into it or mayby Bristol both nice places. Good luck
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:13:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Remember, VT has  income and sales taxes, while NH doesn't.
You may want to factor that in.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:32:31 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

That's why I do most of my shopping in Keene.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 1:20:01 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

And property taxes that will rip you a new asshole :)  Been here all my life and it keeps gettin worse.  It's also starting to get pretty crowded in Addison county  too many flatlanders are moving in and not enough gun nuts  Oh yeah, and there's getting to be far to many liberals up here too.  What a shame, to me I see this state going to shit.  Only reason I'm still here is because of family.  If I were you I'd look into northern NH area.  Beautiful up there.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 1:42:20 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I really can't think of a terrible place to live in central/northern VT.  All beautiful areas as long as you are on the outskirts or out of chittenden county.  I can't stand being in CC right now - too many people, and liberals and dumbass college kids.

Fixed it for you.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:09:30 AM EDT
[#17]
personally, i would love to find some acrage in northern NH to set up a simple retreat on..

only problem is i need owner financing, and as of right now i aint got shit for a down payment..

i keep spending on survival related gear..
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 3:15:13 PM EDT
[#18]
I live in Burlington(ish). If you live in Vermont and want to have something to do other than skiing, you should probably live within driving distance of Burlington. There are liberal moonbats and hippie college kids, but you'd be suprised how many normal people there are in Chittenden county.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 12:35:47 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I live in Burlington(ish). If you live in Vermont and want to have something to do other than skiing, you should probably live within driving distance of Burlington. There are liberal moonbats and hippie college kids, but you'd be suprised how many normal people there are in Chittenden county.

I would be surprised, can you show me a few my friend?    Just kidding man, I know a few good people in Chittenden County.  Apparently your one of them that I haven't met yet.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 8:36:59 AM EDT
[#20]
I live just outside the Newport/Clairmont area of New Hampshire and absolutely love it.    I'm far enough away from sunappe valley so I dont have to deal with the tourists but yet close enough to enjoy it if I decide.    I commute to work in Nashua and I second those that say stay away from southern NH.  Nothing but a bunch of massohle kennedy lovers moving up.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 10:49:48 AM EDT
[#21]
rkbar15,

If I was to move to either of those two, I'd choose NH. VT great, but I wouldn't be able to bring my new suppressor with me. VT is not suppresoor friendly, if that matters to you.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top