Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/1/2004 3:30:44 PM EDT
I know we would get magazine capacity above 10. But is there anything on the books in the Connecticut AWB that would prevent someone from adding a flash suppressor or collapsible stock to a post ban Bushmaster or RRA AR?

The reason I ask is because during the week I was in Hoffman's Guns in Newington and one of the guys behind the counter said that the only thing we would gain in Connecticut is magazine capacity. I have looked at the Connecticut statutes and don't see anything along the lines of the Evil features associated with the Federal Ban. Just the list of banned firearms.

Sec. 53-202a. Assault weapons: Definition.  

(a) As used in this section and sections 53-202b to 53-202k, inclusive, and subsection (h) of section 53a-46a, "assault weapon" means:

(1) Any selective-fire firearm capable of fully automatic, semiautomatic or burst fire at the option of the user or any of the following specified semiautomatic firearms:

Algimec Agmi
Armalite AR-180
Australian Automatic Arms SAP Pistol
Auto-Ordnance Thompson type
Avtomat Kalashnikov AK-47 type
Barrett Light-Fifty model 82A1
Beretta AR-70; Bushmaster Auto Rifle and Auto Pistol
Calico models M-900, M-950 and 100-P
Chartered Industries of Singapore SR-88
Colt AR-15 and Sporter
Daewoo K-1, K-2, Max-1 and Max-2
Encom MK-IV, MP-9 and MP-45
Fabrique Nationale FN/FAL, FN/LAR, or FN/FNC
FAMAS MAS 223
Feather AT-9 and Mini-AT
Federal XC-900 and XC-450
Franchi SPAS-12 and LAW-12
Galil AR and ARM
Goncz High-Tech Carbine and High-Tech Long Pistol
Heckler & Koch HK-91, HK-93, HK-94 and SP-89
Holmes MP-83; MAC-10, MAC-11 and MAC-11 Carbine type
Intratec TEC-9 and Scorpion
Iver Johnson Enforcer model 3000
Ruger Mini-14/5F folding stock model only
Scarab Skorpion
SIG 57 AMT and 500 series
Spectre Auto Carbine and Auto Pistol
Springfield Armory BM59, SAR-48 and G-3
Sterling MK-6 and MK-7
Steyr AUG
Street Sweeper and Striker 12 revolving cylinder shotguns
USAS-12; UZI Carbine, Mini-Carbine and Pistol
Weaver Arms Nighthawk
Wilkinson "Linda" Pistol;

(2)   A part or combination of parts designed or intended to convert a firearm into an assault weapon, or any combination of parts from which an assault weapon may be rapidly assembled if those parts are in the possession or under the control of the same person.

(b)  As used in this section and sections 53-202b to 53-202k, inclusive, and subsection (h) of section 53a-46a, the term "assault weapon" does not include any firearm modified to render it permanently inoperable.
Link Posted: 5/1/2004 5:37:39 PM EDT
[#1]
I dont have any proof but I am pretty sure he is right. We get mags thats it. CT has its own AWB.
It sucks
Link Posted: 5/2/2004 7:28:27 AM EDT
[#2]
If the AWB sunsets, would a state violating federal rights leave itself open for a class action suit? Just a question.
Link Posted: 5/2/2004 3:39:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I wish our laws would change from the AWB Sunset, but they dont...

I also dont see how its ok to FA, and not select fire... do they think its moe dangerous to be able to switch from Semi to full auto?

Link Posted: 5/2/2004 4:40:28 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I wish our laws would change from the AWB Sunset, but they dont...

I also dont see how its ok to FA, and not select fire... do they think its moe dangerous to be able to switch from Semi to full auto?

Yea thats full auto law is really stupid, I first learned about it from an RO at Wooster who told me he couldn't buy a M-16, but could get a M2.  My guess is that the law was a compromise between between gun owners and liberals.  Liberals where able to ban most modern FA, while letting gun owners keep their antiques.

As for the state AWB aside from mags, the only thing I could think of that would change is we could get pre ban SAR-2's and 3's types (The AK47 ban has been interpreted to not include 74's)
Link Posted: 5/2/2004 6:13:39 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
...I first learned about it from an RO at Wooster who told me he couldn't buy a M-16, but could get a M2.  My guess is that the law was a compromise between between gun owners and liberals.  Liberals where able to ban most modern FA, while letting gun owners keep their antiques.

Oh man, there's so much bad info out there it's scary.
As far as CT is concerned M16 is no different than M2, friend.

There are antique class 3 guns (see: C&R, Curio and Relic) that certain states only allow civilians to possess but that's not the case in CT at all, machineguns are A-OK in CT as long as they're full-auto-only meaning no safe-semi-full and no safe-semi-burst-full within the same fire control group of parts (lower) ready to go.

What they banned were: "...selective-fire firearm capable of fully automatic, semiautomatic or burst fire at the option of the user..." so if a machinegun is safe-full-full or safe-full-full-full it's A-OK in CT, no longer a "selective-fire assault weapon" and two of my buds just got their M16s recently, another one is getting an M2.

Get this, ATF is familiar with CT laws and they require a "full auto only" note on CT form 4s, transfer apps.

Don't hesitate to ask me for more details if desired.
Link Posted: 5/2/2004 8:08:10 PM EDT
[#6]
HoolyGun, I know the law, but I guess I wasn't descriptive enough when I said M-16s are a no no (I was talking about stock M-16's that where made select fire) as opposed to a M2 which isn't select fire.  I have heard that guns converted to full auto only are legal which gives me hope into owning a C3 (now if I could only get the money)
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 8:50:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Stock M16s that were made select fire can also be converted to full-auto only!

Link Posted: 5/6/2004 2:43:43 PM EDT
[#8]
To answer the original question...

What we'll gain is cheap prebans from the rest of the country.  It's perfectly legal to transfer prebans into the state, and they won't be worth anymore then anything else come September.  
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 8:00:33 PM EDT
[#9]
OK, I am trying to understand just what law is on the books in Connecticut that would prevent me from adding a collapsible stock or a flash suppressor to a post ban AR. If anyone knows what CT statute or where to find it please let me know. I haven't found anything on the CT books that limits the number of "evil" features.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 11:22:36 AM EDT
[#10]
The PR of CT has its own "evil features" definition. See subparagraph 3A for rifles.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sec. 53-202a. Assault weapons: Definition.

(a) As used in this section and sections 53-202b to 53-202k, inclusive, "assault weapon" means:

(1) Any selective-fire firearm capable of fully automatic, semiautomatic or burst fire at the option of the user or any of the following specified semiautomatic firearms:

Algimec Agmi; Armalite AR-180; Australian Automatic Arms SAP Pistol; Auto-Ordnance Thompson type; Avtomat Kalashnikov AK-47 type; Barrett Light-Fifty model 82A1; Beretta AR-70; Bushmaster Auto Rifle and Auto Pistol; Calico models M-900, M-950 and 100-P; Chartered Industries of Singapore SR-88; Colt AR-15 and Sporter; Daewoo K-1, K-2, Max-1 and Max-2; Encom MK-IV, MP-9 and MP-45; Fabrique Nationale FN/FAL, FN/LAR, or FN/FNC; FAMAS MAS 223; Feather AT-9 and Mini- AT; Federal XC-900 and XC-450; Franchi SPAS-12 and LAW-12; Galil AR and ARM; Goncz High-Tech Carbine and High-Tech Long Pistol; Heckler & Koch HK-91, HK- 93, HK-94 and SP-89; Holmes MP-83; MAC-10, MAC-11 and MAC-11 Carbine type; Intratec TEC-9 and Scorpion; Iver Johnson Enforcer model 3000; Ruger Mini-14/5F folding stock model only; Scarab Skorpion; SIG 57 AMT and 500 series; Spectre Auto Carbine and Auto Pistol; Springfield Armory BM59, SAR-48 and G-3; Sterling MK-6 and MK-7; Steyr AUG; Street Sweeper and Striker 12 revolving cylinder shotguns; USAS-12; UZI Carbine, Mini-Carbine and Pistol; Weaver Arms Nighthawk; Wilkinson "Linda" Pistol;

(2) A part or combination of parts designed or intended to convert a firearm into an assault weapon, as defined in subdivision (1) of this subsection, or any combination of parts from which an assault weapon, as defined in subdivision (1) of this subsection, may be rapidly assembled if those parts are in the possession or under the control of the same person;

(3) Any semiautomatic firearm not listed in subdivision (1) of this subsection that meets the following criteria:

(A) A semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least two
        of the following:
(i) A folding or telescoping stock;
(ii) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;
(iii) A bayonet mount;
(iv) A flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; and
(v) A grenade launcher; or

(B) A semiautomatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least
         two of the following:
(i) An ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip;
(ii) A threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor, forward handgrip or silencer;
(iii) A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel and that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the nontrigger hand without being burned;
(iv) A manufactured weight of fifty ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded; and
(v) A semiautomatic version of an automatic firearm; or

(C) A semiautomatic shotgun that has at least two of the following:
(i) A folding or telescoping stock;
(ii) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;
(iii) A fixed magazine capacity in excess of five rounds; and
(iv) An ability to accept a detachable magazine; or

(4) A part or combination of parts designed or intended to convert a firearm into an assault weapon, as defined in subdivision (3) of this subsection, or any combination of parts from which an assault weapon, as defined in subdivision (3) of this subsection, may be rapidly assembled if those parts are in the possession or under the control of the same person.

(b) As used in this section and sections 53-202b to 53-202k, inclusive, the term "assault weapon" does not include any firearm modified to render it permanently inoperable.

(D) (P.A. 93-306, S. 1; P.A. 01-130, S. 1.)
History: P.A. 01-130 amended Subsec. (a) to delete reference to Sec. 53a-46a(h), make technical changes in Subdiv. (2) and add Subdivs. (3) and (4) re physical characteristics criteria applicable to definition of "assault weapon" and amended Subsec. (b) to delete reference to Sec. 53a-46a(h).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top