Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/20/2022 6:26:42 PM EDT
Hi all my daughter is in the Navy but stationed at Tinker AFB and looking to rent a place off base any ares to avoid ? I can't be there to help her so looking at any help. She was looking at this place:
Apartments

Safety is my main concern she may be working at night. Thanks for any help.
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 12:07:02 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm pretty sure that place is in the ghetto, so I'd say avoid.  How much can she spend on rent?  Is she willing to drive 20-30 mins to get on base?  Heck, if she can find a shipmate roommate, then they'll be in great shape to rent something.

The "Boeing" apartments on the south side of the base are fairly new and nice.  They are on S Air Depot and I-240.  

There's a new complex still undergoing construction, but I do believe some of the units are completed and have people are already moved in.  Liberty Creek Apts or something, on Sooner Rd and SE 67th St (go west from there about 1/4 mile, probably won't show up on google maps yet, but the road goes west now right where the Fastenal is.

There are nice apts in Moore, and its a pretty good area in terms of eating/shopping: Mission Point apts (possibly expensive, but I have friends that live there and they really like it).

I used to live in an apt complex up in Edmond and they were nice.  Only had a 25 min commute to base (my squadron was on the north side of the base, so that helped since I was coming from the north side of town).

Edit - Since she's Navy she'll primarily be on the south side of base, so Moore or S OKC would be slightly better in terms of the commute.  No kidding, just getting from one end of the base to the other can be a pain, depending on time of day.
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 11:50:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the response very helpful info. She is looking at rooming with a buddy of hers and she has a decent car so driving out from the base wouldn't bother her I will pass this info on to her and much appreciated thanks again, I want her to be safe and since she is so far away it's hard to be any help. And I miss her like crazy can't wait to see her again and thankful I can still talk to her on the phone.
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 7:59:01 PM EDT
[#3]
HELL NO to anything around 44th and Bryant, or Sunnylane. (look at the dead shopping centers, get it?)
No idea about cost but there are several newish complexes that look to be tailor made for Tinkerites around 74th (I-240) and Air Depot, literally across the street from  Tinker.

Link Posted: 1/31/2022 3:28:08 AM EDT
[#4]
She does not want to live on the west side of Tinker.  If you care about her, you do not want her living on the west side of Tinker.

There are a bunch of newer apartments along I240 (south side of Tinker) but they're kind of out in the middle of nowhere.  I240 makes it quick to get to anywhere she'd want to go, but it still feels like there's nothing around except a hospital and a couple of gas stations.

Midwest City isn't bad, but I only go there to visit my father so I don't know if any of the apartments are any good.

Moore has several good apartments on the south side of it that are good to live in.  The major downside is they are all near 19th St, and the traffic along there often gets crazy. The positives are that 19th St is the main thoroughfare of Moore so she would be real close to shopping, eating out, movie theatre, etc.  I35 provides quick access up to downtown OKC and down to Norman.  I wouldn't recommend any of the apartments north of 4th St anymore than I would recommend her moving to the west side of Tinker.

I bought a house in Moore a few years ago.  I love it here, even with the trains. Police have a good relationship with the community, couple of nice parks, lots of small events, don't really need to travel far to go do anything entertainment-wise.
Link Posted: 2/1/2022 3:54:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
She does not want to live on the west side of Tinker.  If you care about her, you do not want her living on the west side of Tinker.

There are a bunch of newer apartments along I240 (south side of Tinker) but they're kind of out in the middle of nowhere.  I240 makes it quick to get to anywhere she'd want to go, but it still feels like there's nothing around except a hospital and a couple of gas stations.

Midwest City isn't bad, but I only go there to visit my father so I don't know if any of the apartments are any good.

Moore has several good apartments on the south side of it that are good to live in.  The major downside is they are all near 19th St, and the traffic along there often gets crazy. The positives are that 19th St is the main thoroughfare of Moore so she would be real close to shopping, eating out, movie theatre, etc.  I35 provides quick access up to downtown OKC and down to Norman.  I wouldn't recommend any of the apartments north of 4th St anymore than I would recommend her moving to the west side of Tinker.

I bought a house in Moore a few years ago.  I love it here, even with the trains. Police have a good relationship with the community, couple of nice parks, lots of small events, don't really need to travel far to go do anything entertainment-wise.
View Quote

Thanks for the reply and yes I do care about her she is everything to me and I miss her so much. I was lucky enough to basically raise her and couldn't be more proud of her. I tell her I love her and miss her every single time I talk to her she is an amazing person and smart and loves our country. So to answer your question yes I care for her I care for her more than myself and wish I could be there to help her that why I am asking for anyone help on this.
Link Posted: 2/1/2022 4:02:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Oh, if she is looking for apt living there is also a fairly new complex on the south service road of I-240, between Sunnylane and Sooner, right next to the Heart Hospital.

I didn't mind apt living when I was younger, but now there's almost no way I could do it again.  Way too close to too many people.  Way too small of a space and cramped.  Has she been looking at rental homes?  Not sure at that market right now though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top