Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/14/2016 2:02:29 AM EDT
I gotta move to OKC, really more like Tinker AFB, what am I in for?

Good time laws? Gun laws? Good places to live? I need to live cheap

ETA: Also need a good gym recommendation none of that planet fitness bullshit
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 12:28:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Military or civilian? There are a couple gyms on base that might meet your needs.. not sure what's off base. As for living situation, anything around base will be cheap, but then it's also the least desirable area; do you want an apartment or house?

Don't know where you're coming from, but OK is pretty good with the gun laws. You can view some other threads in this forum for specific laws, etc. If you live outside city limits you can shoot on your own land, that's what I do.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 3:47:28 PM EDT
[#2]
What state are you coming from?
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 4:27:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Shady area to say the least. Although there is a fantastic burger joint nearby called "The Garage". It's just south of the highway 40/Sooner road intersection.

Last summer I stayed at the Hampton Inn right in that area and decided at around 10 o clock at night to go grab some tacos. Questionable people hanging out in gas station parking lots. Proceeded to Taco Mayo on 29th street. The girl working the drive though was as high as a kite and dancing/stumbling around and singing. I cringe to think about the cooks. Terrible food that tasted like dirt and went into the trash.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 6:41:13 PM EDT
[#4]
From Missouri, civilian.

As far as renting goes I'm open to either an apartment or house just depends on the value and if it's an OK area.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 11:34:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 12:56:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Proceeded to Taco Mayo...
View Quote

Well there's your problem.

OP, I don't know if there's one by Tinker; however, 10 gym is pretty nice, it's $10 a month.

ETA: Also OP, you might want to look at north Norman instead of the Del City/Midwest City area. It's a pretty straight shot via highway 77 and a lot nicer of an area.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 3:42:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

OP, I don't know if there's one by Tinker; however, 10 gym is pretty nice, it's $10 a month.

ETA: Also OP, you might want to look at north Norman instead of the Del City/Midwest City area. It's a pretty straight shot via highway 77 and a lot nicer of an area.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Proceeded to Taco Mayo...

Conversely any idea if Edmond is ok? Looks like North or South are possible.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 7:29:07 PM EDT
[#8]
You mentioned living cheap, Edmond is probably one of the most expensive places to live in the state.  Low crime, supposedly the safest place to live in OK.  Personally I hate it, the people are jerks and the traffic is horrible I personally would not enjoy that commute.  If you have children then you need to live in a good district Edmond, Norman, and Moore have great schools by OK standards.   Personally I think Moore is the best place to live for someone that works at Tinker, but you do have to deal with the Tornadoes.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 10:27:34 PM EDT
[#9]
prepare yourself for Tornado Season in the Tornado Lane.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 12:24:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
You mentioned living cheap, Edmond is probably one of the most expensive places to live in the state.  Low crime, supposedly the safest place to live in OK.  Personally I hate it, the people are jerks and the traffic is horrible I personally would not enjoy that commute.  If you have children then you need to live in a good district Edmond, Norman, and Moore have great schools by OK standards.   Personally I think Moore is the best place to live for someone that works at Tinker, but you do have to deal with the Tornadoes.
View Quote

I would kinda avoid moving to Moore during April/May, it's not really a good time.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 1:48:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Are the tornadoes that frequent/that much of a threat? We get warnings a lot, but they never impact the area I live in Missouri. Are there any precautions I can take if I rent an apartment?
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 1:54:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Midwest City has some reasonably priced apartments in areas that are slightly nicer than Del City.  You'll pay more for it, but I would suggest looking at places in Moore/northen Norman.

Avoid Gunworld.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 1:57:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Are the tornadoes that frequent/that much of a threat? We get warnings a lot, but they never impact the area I live in Missouri. Are there any precautions I can take if I rent an apartment?
View Quote

Back in 1999 a huge tornado hit the northwest corner of Tinker.  There are currently some baseball/softball fields there.  They used to be stables.  Google the words "May 3 tornado".  Your best bet is to find an apartment on the ground floor with interior walls.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:23:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

And the Edmond traffic is awful.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 5:51:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Where on Tinker will you be working?  Getting across base can take time, so if you live closer to the correct nearest gate, that can make a difference.  If it matters to you.

When I lived in Edmond (near Bryant and 2nd St), my commute to work was 22 minutes, since I worked on the north side of the base.  Later I moved to a neighborhood near Sooner and I-240 and my commute decreased a whopping 5 minutes.  Even though I was practically right outside the base.  

There's no quick way to get from the north side of the base to the south side of it or vice versa.  Don't know much about driving to the ALC but that's all a HUGE mess of people.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 7:33:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Midwest City has some reasonably priced apartments in areas that are slightly nicer than Del City.  You'll pay more for it, but I would suggest looking at places in Moore/northen Norman.

Avoid Gunworld.
View Quote

Definitely.

Agreed also that MWC is generally a good place to live (have lived here almost 7 years).
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 5:43:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Where on Tinker will you be working?  Getting across base can take time, so if you live closer to the correct nearest gate, that can make a difference.  If it matters to you.

When I lived in Edmond (near Bryant and 2nd St), my commute to work was 22 minutes, since I worked on the north side of the base.  Later I moved to a neighborhood near Sooner and I-240 and my commute decreased a whopping 5 minutes.  Even though I was practically right outside the base.  

There's no quick way to get from the north side of the base to the south side of it or vice versa.  Don't know much about driving to the ALC but that's all a HUGE mess of people.
View Quote

I think? It's actually right outside the gates South side maybe that'll help me or maybe not.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 6:22:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I think? It's actually right outside the gates South side maybe that'll help me or maybe not.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you want to post in here where you'll be working, maybe myself or someone else might know where on base you'll be working.  I was active duty here 2005-2012, then reserves here for another year and a half, so I know a fair amount of where things might be at.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:31:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Sounds like he's talking about the old GM plant.  If that's the case I suggest Moore, Norman, or somewhere in the country to the east.  I work a couple miles west of Air Depot and I can make it to work from Westmoore in less than 15 minutes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top