Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/3/2015 10:30:29 AM EDT
Have always wanted to take the Appleseed "course". Has anyone been to one? Was reading on the site and they talk about bringing a 22 rifle with 2 ten round magazines (or 20 round). Read that it's fast paced. That's cool and everything with a centerfire and 30 round magazines. Only 22's I have are a scoped Savage bolt action with a couple 5 round mags and a Henry lever action with a 16 round tube I think. Would one of these work or not be up to the task?

Site also talks about doing some shooting out to 400 or 500 yards. With a 22? Hmm. Am I missing something? Do you also bring a centerfire rifle?
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 3:57:59 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Have always wanted to take the Appleseed "course". Has anyone been to one? Was reading on the site and they talk about bringing a 22 rifle with 2 ten round magazines (or 20 round). Read that it's fast paced. That's cool and everything with a centerfire and 30 round magazines. Only 22's I have are a scoped Savage bolt action with a couple 5 round mags and a Henry lever action with a 16 round tube I think. Would one of these work or not be up to the task?

Site also talks about doing some shooting out to 400 or 500 yards. With a 22? Hmm. Am I missing something? Do you also bring a centerfire rifle?
View Quote

I went to one at USSA a year or two ago?  Guys that ran it were neat.  There is some added politics and semi-recruitment type lip service that is included as part of the class, which I could have done without.  I did enjoy the history lesson, it just seemed to be more pre-packaged and targetted rather than an authentic look.  

The instruction was good - everyone improved over the weekend.  It is a basic marksmanship course.  Natural point of aim, breathing, trigger press, sight alignment are all covered in depth as well as sling utilization and target reading.

I shot my centerfire rifle all weekend.  Was overkill at 25y but I don't own a .22 so it was what I had.  

At USSA, if you are having relative success with the 25y range, they will take you to the 300/400y range and go over some more advanced topics.  

I think over the course or two days I shot around 400-450 rounds.  It rained heavily the first day which hampered our round count.

All in all, I think it was worth the money I paid.  It gave me a great foundation for shooting and taught me some fundamentals I hadn't heard before.  I've considered taking it again just to freshen up, but everytime I think about it I think I'd rather take a more focused course.

Just my thoughts. YMMV

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 4:33:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks. Appreciate the review very much.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top