Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/1/2011 11:24:18 AM EDT
Ok folks, I want a new rifle but having trouble finding the right combo. Synthetic or laminate stock(no walnut), Stainless, fluted barrel(#4 profile), and of course left handed. Ruger has pretty close to what I want(Minus the fluted barrel) Or I can build a 700 up. Problem is I'll have almost double in a 700 with a good barrel and stock. So whata ya'll think of the Ruger. I own about 6 or 7 Rugers already, but never had or shot their bolt guns. This will be a sporter by the way.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 12:10:01 PM EDT
[#1]
I have one that shoots very well. I also like that it's a controlled round feed. The free scope rings aren't exactly a deal maker or breaker, but they are of decent quality.

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 12:47:38 PM EDT
[#2]
I have an M77 220 Swift with a heavy barrel.  Tac driver but heavy.  I really like the action of the M77.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 1:12:00 PM EDT
[#3]
I have one in 7.62 x 39 russian
shots 1" groups at 100 yards with wolf
and 3/4" or less with good ammo
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 3:49:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I have the left hand affliction also and have tried every type of manufactured left handed bolt made.
The Ruger 77 I had in 30/06 wasn't very accurate
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 4:19:36 PM EDT
[#5]
What do you recommend, Dan? I have a Savage 110 LH. Very nice gun just have an itch for something that doesn't scratch as easy and a little more weather resistant. 06 is my favorite huntin caliber. It's just that there aren't many options for the south paw in a  Rem. or Savage. Did you try to accurize your Ruger?
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 4:49:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
What do you recommend, Dan? I have a Savage 110 LH. Very nice gun just have an itch for something that doesn't scratch as easy and a little more weather resistant. 06 is my favorite huntin caliber. It's just that there aren't many options for the south paw in a  Rem. or Savage. Did you try to accurize your Ruger?

Dan has a stock That he was trying to unload last weekend that you need for that savage
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 5:08:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Dan, what kinda stock?
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 5:51:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Its a Choate ultimate varmit stock.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 6:09:01 PM EDT
[#9]
That Choate varmint stock was on a Savage 110 308 Tactical. About 15 years ago they didn't make short actions, all were long actions.
I stiffened up the Choate Rynite factory stock and reinstalled it in place of the Choate Varmint. It's just too damn big and heavy for any kind of field rifle..
B, the Ruger I had just didn't hold good groups. I'm fairly partial to Rugers of any kind but I wasn't crazy about that rifle and never could get it too shoot as well as my Remingtons or my Savages.
I haven't had a 77 since.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 6:30:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks Dan.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 7:29:16 PM EDT
[#11]
the choate "ultimate varmint" stocks aren't a bad deal for the money, they're not "tacticool", they are however heavy as hell but then they're varmint stocks and not made for lugging over hills and through the valley's, they're made for driving to a dog town, getting out of the vehicle, sitting at a table or laying on the ground and shooting varmints.

got one on my 22250, the whole outfit (26" varmint barreled action, stock, scope and bipod) runs at least 15lbs, maybe a bit more hadn't really weight it, but it's solid and shoots well when I do my part.

they make a ultimate sniper stock too, hadn't ever put my hands on one, but they look damn near as bulky as the varmint model so I imagine they're probably damn near as heavy too.
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 8:18:50 AM EDT
[#12]
I've owned a stainless all-weather MkII Ruger 77 .30-06...and a older Ruger 77 .22-250 in the past..they both were excellent rifles.

I currently own a older Model 77 varmit in .22-250..it's an excellent rifle too..but as stated above the heavy barrels are heavy.

I like 'em..they are fine rifles..I wish the Ruger No.1 .243 I own was a M77..but it ain't..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top