Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/27/2009 3:42:25 PM EDT
I am posting this here, and on two other boards

For those of you that are qualified in Law Enforcement, I was asked by Police Chief Robert Cancemi a customer of mine,
of Canton, Oklahoma this last weekend to ask anyone that might be qualified to please apply for the positions of police officer.
There are 2 positions open at this time.

He said he is aware that it does not pay very much $1600. a month, with full benefits (I don’t know what they are,
you will have to ask him) you will receive a patrol car, to take home, and you have to supply your own weapon.
I do not recall exactly what he said about the uniform.

Here is the contact information if you are interested:

Chief Robert Cancemi
Canton Police Department

112 N. Washington St
Canton, Ok 73724
Phone: 580.886.2424
Fax 580.886.2666
His Phone number is : 580.886.4067
Link Posted: 7/27/2009 3:56:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Wow thats awful. I dont know how anyone can be expected to put their life on the line for 1600 a month. Even a PVT makes more than that and he gets free housing and food to boot.
Link Posted: 7/27/2009 4:00:49 PM EDT
[#2]
I know, do they get second jobs.  Mabe  that is whay the turn over is so great.  He was even telling me the amount as we only pay this much.
Link Posted: 7/27/2009 4:01:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Looks like typical small town Cop pay to me. I don't know where that is but when you have so many people doing the job for free(reserves), it shouldn't be all that hard to fill those positions.

Around here the small town PD turnover is around 1000% A guy you see in one town on the way to work in the morning may be working in another town by the time you head home. Seems to be that even in this, you get what you pay for.
Link Posted: 7/27/2009 4:03:40 PM EDT
[#4]
That is a real shame, and these people get shot at.

Where are our priorities/
Link Posted: 7/27/2009 4:13:36 PM EDT
[#5]
I dont think our priorities are the ones that are misdirected. Its the county and cities that are all fubared.
Link Posted: 7/27/2009 6:14:44 PM EDT
[#6]
my new son in law was a local town cop, probably making about $1600 a month. Now he's a deputy sheriff.

A pay raise joining the sheriff's department I'm sure.....but I'm scared to ask how much of a raise.  

I recall making about $700 a month in the early 1990's, and was getting paid more than some of the guy's!
Link Posted: 7/28/2009 6:35:43 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm looking for greener pastures, but Canton won't cut it.  I may have to go to N.M.  Too old for the good pension system here in Oklahoma.
Link Posted: 7/29/2009 2:18:05 PM EDT
[#8]
I hear tecumsee PD is hiring also.
Link Posted: 7/29/2009 3:14:21 PM EDT
[#9]
I go to canton to eat when I am hunting near there. I can't recall ever seeing a cop. If they let you hunt on duty maybe I will apply. problem is that they want you on call all the time you aren't actually getting paid. rural EMS is the same way.
Link Posted: 7/29/2009 6:59:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I go to canton to eat when I am hunting near there. I can't recall ever seeing a cop. If they let you hunt on duty maybe I will apply. problem is that they want you on call all the time you aren't actually getting paid. rural EMS is the same way.

Is it a typical 3 man dept? Where they all have a title? Chief, Asst Chief, and Patrol Supervisor?

Link Posted: 7/29/2009 10:16:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is it a typical 3 man dept? Where they all have a title? Chief, Asst Chief, and Patrol Supervisor?

Thats sad pay, I would be ashamed to ask a certified officer to work for 1600 a month.  Its almost an insult.

My department starts new uncertified officers out at over 35,000 per year.  ( not the best pay but it beats a kick in the teeth )

We issue all equipment and benefits:

uniforms for new officers

$700 per year for unifoms & duty gear

firearms: New Glock 21 and 870

take home patrol cars

in car tough book computers

radios

body armor

duty & training ammo

vacation, sick & personal leave

free college

over time pay

cleet & dept training

paid FOP trip to D.C. during officer memorial week

....and much much more.   I hate it when depts run adds for officers but refuse to pay them.  If you want to be a police offcer, dont settle for 1600 a month.  

Link Posted: 7/30/2009 2:09:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thats sad pay, I would be ashamed to ask a certified officer to work for 1600 a month.  Its almost an insult.

My department starts new uncertified officers out at over 35,000 per year.  ( not the best pay but it beats a kick in the teeth )

We issue all equipment and benefits:

uniforms for new officers

$700 per year for unifoms & duty gear

firearms: New Glock 21 and 870

take home patrol cars

in car tough book computers

radios

body armor

duty & training ammo

vacation, sick & personal leave

free college

over time pay

cleet & dept training

paid FOP trip to D.C. during officer memorial week

....and much much more.   I hate it when depts run adds for officers but refuse to pay them.  If you want to be a police offcer, dont settle for 1600 a month.  

Getting paid a decent wage for cop work in OK seems to be a rarity really. I remember when some county deputies graduated cleet a couple of years ago. As far as equipment goes the county gave them two patches.......thats it They had to buy everything else.

Link Posted: 7/31/2009 11:34:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

This would be why I don't do the cop thing or the EMS thing any more. I think people would be surprised to know how many of our public safety workers out here are on food stamps and the like. Holy crap if we can't pay a plumber, electrician, or painter $35/hr at American Airlines though. Bah, this is one time I'm glad Dan isn't here to give me that line of union crap again.

Link Posted: 8/1/2009 3:54:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This would be why I don't do the cop thing or the EMS thing any more. I think people would be surprised to know how many of our public safety workers out here are on food stamps and the like. Holy crap if we can't pay a plumber, electrician, or painter $35/hr at American Airlines though. Bah, this is one time I'm glad Dan isn't here to give me that line of union crap again.

you really shouldnt pick on union plumbers or pipefitters,its a skilled trade.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 4:00:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If I ever need an EMT I sure hope he has a whole hell of a lot of skill
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 4:06:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

It's a skilled trade trying to pull people back from the light when they have one foot in the grave too, and they pay peanuts for it. People working on other people and making life saving decisions shouldn't be making 1/3 the amount of pay that someone turning a wrench or cutting some pipe is making. It's wrong on so many levels.

This is to take nothing away from your skilled vocation pipefitter. You tell people that you're cutting back the police department, fire department or EMS and they get angry. If the same thing were said for union plumbers or pipefitters you wouldn't see the same public outcry.

Bah, you know what I'm saying. Most of us on here are all on the same page.

Link Posted: 8/1/2009 4:08:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If I ever need an EMT I sure hope he has a whole hell of a lot of skill

Nothing wrong with a UNION keeps the company honest,  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top