Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/29/2005 9:44:46 AM EDT
I was thinking about trying to join and was just wondering if it was worth it?  I went to an IPSC shoot there about 3 years ago with a friend but that was it.  What is the longest distance you can shoot out there and can you go anytime?
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 11:22:27 AM EDT
[#1]
I can't address whether it's a good deal or not, but most of your questions about facilities etc, can be found here:

www.okcgunclub.org/
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 2:50:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I couldn't find the answer to either question on their website.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 3:52:00 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm a senior member out there and it has EXCELLENT facilities. 600 yd High Power rifle ranch for military matches, 500 meter metallic silhouette range,, a 300 yd bench rest rest,  50 yd pistol range, 3D Archery Range, the CAS/IPSC range, and a black powder range to 100 yds.
I don't participate or shoot out there that much but I WOULD NOT give up my membership.
All the longer distance ranges I mentioned also have shorter ranges within the big ranges, so you have all types of distances to shoot!
They have a nice plinking range with metal plates but is down temporarily for rebuild last time I was out there.
Yeah, it's worth the money if you are a serious shooter.
And you can go anytime and shoot on any range unless they have a match or have it down for work in process.
And the shotgun range is pretty damn fair also. Jim Jolly's Sporting Clay range is also really close but isn't part of the membership.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 4:32:42 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I'm a senior member out there and it has EXCELLENT facilities. 600 yd High Power rifle ranch for military matches, 500 meter metallic silhouette range,, a 300 yd bench rest rest,  50 yd pistol range, 3D Archery Range, the CAS/IPSC range, and a black powder range to 100 yds.
I don't participate or shoot out there that much but I WOULD NOT give up my membership.
All the longer distance ranges I mentioned also have shorter ranges within the big ranges, so you have all types of distances to shoot!
They have a nice plinking range with metal plates but is down temporarily for rebuild last time I was out there.
Yeah, it's worth the money if you are a serious shooter.
And you can go anytime and shoot on any range unless they have a match or have it down for work in process.
And the shotgun range is pretty damn fair also. Jim Jolly's Sporting Clay range is also really close but isn't part of the membership.

The plinking range is back up.  I would love to find out who to talk to about changing my address so I can renew my membership and get the Primer.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 6:41:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Awesome thank you.  600 yards is perfect!!!  I'll send in my application tomorrow.  I just hope I don't get wait listed.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 6:15:47 AM EDT
[#6]
man, I get weight listed every where I go.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 6:31:31 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
man, I get weight listed every where I go.

Link Posted: 9/30/2005 1:46:51 PM EDT
[#8]
 I'm a member there and can give you a few more details.  The 600 yard highpower range is the longest you can shoot at.  You can shoot anytime of the day when there's enough light to shoot safely, any day of the week (as long as a match isn't going on).  The one caveat is if you're not shooting standard NRA highpower and someone who does want to shoot standard NRA highpower shows up, you're supposed to clear out per the range rules.

I wouldn't worry a whole lot though.  I've been a member there three years.  I go out at least once every two weeks and more like once a week in the fall and spring.  In all those trips I've seen someone "practicing" on that range enough times that I could count them on one hand.  It's by far the least utilized range at the club.

If you want to know anything else about the place just ask.  Only big downer for me is no full auto allowed there.

Link Posted: 9/30/2005 7:50:58 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted: Only big downer for me is no full auto allowed there.

If I remember right.....you were at the JTAC shoot with the suppressed/ FA M16, the UZI, etc....and yeah....havin them toys and nt bein able to play with them like you want to would be a little frustraiting.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 8:26:17 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
 I would love to find out who to talk to about changing my address so I can renew my membership and get the Primer.

Patrick, try this email:  [email protected]
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 12:57:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Good luck trying to get a membership there.
When I was stationed there I tried for three years to get one, no one died and opened up a slot.
Things might have changed.

I did the next best thing and signed up for the Tri-City gun club.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 1:51:34 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Good luck trying to get a membership there.
When I was stationed there I tried for three years to get one, no one died and opened up a slot.
Things might have changed.

I did the next best thing and signed up for the Tri-City gun club.

Yes, they screw up sometimes. I got upgraded to a senior member and DROPPED off the active role at the SAME TIME. When I went to the board with the problem the next year, one of the members laughed when I explained what had been done. I got a little irate - not much - and wrote a check for that year's membership. They never cashed the check but did renew my membership.
This past year, they cashed the check but never sent me my renewal. After leaving a phone message, I did receive it a week or so later.
When I first joined at age 22, they didn't renew me the 3rd year even though they had my check and never cashed it. I joined again a few years later and went 10 to 12 years before I asked to be upgraded to a senior member, And I've already told that story.
Bottom line, all work at the OKC Gun Club is volunteer, including book keeping, and sometimes it ain't the greatest. But overall, the facilities and many of the people out there are really good!

Sometimes a letter from a senior member will help a membership application. I've written those letters before and don't mind doing so again. If you are not accepted the first time you apply, they are supposed to put your name on a waiting list.
Let me know if  I can help.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 5:17:54 PM EDT
[#13]
I contacted them a couple of weeks ago and they are accepting applications until the end of the year...Not sure what that means exactly but you might get lucky and get in...
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 7:17:39 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I contacted them a couple of weeks ago and they are accepting applications until the end of the year...Not sure what that means exactly but you might get lucky and get in...

They'll contact people on the waiting list if they apply again. They will take in a certain number of applicants. The sooner you have your application in, the better chance you have of being a member.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 8:24:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Well Dan was nice enough to take me out there today.  All I can say is wow that is a nice setup.  Dan proved to be a hell of a nice guy and I proved to embarrass myself trying to hit some steel plates.  

Anyway, as soon as NRA sends my membership forms I'm going to send in the app.  Thanks again Dan!
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 8:37:56 PM EDT
[#16]
You're certainly welcome, Josh! Hell, I was embarassed on the first few rounds I shot!
It's been almost 7 months since I fired a handgun because of my shoulders. It sure felt good to start dropping those plates once I got "dialed" back in!
Shooting those plates is harder than shooting the B27 targets. You can put a deadly shot COM on a B27 and still miss the plates at the same range.
That is a NICE 1911 you have!
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 8:52:06 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

But you said you didn't like it because it didn't rattle when you picked it up.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 8:58:16 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

But you said you didn't like it because it didn't rattle when you picked it up.

Just my preference in a CARRY 1911! A little rattle in one is a good thing to my way of thinking. Of course, it ain't good in an expensive custom built 1911 like you have!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top