Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/15/2005 6:20:50 PM EDT
The new legal mean the take a deer in gun season for a hand gun.  Semi auto handguns chambered for any centerfire ammo 100 grains or heavier soft nosed bullet and have a cartridge case size of .40 caliber or larger ( includes 10mm, 357 sig and 40 cal or larger ) a minimum barrel length of 4 inches.  I been working on Greg Duffey  at the Oklahoma wildlife Dept  to get it fixed and he fixed it. My plan is use my Glock 20c with my 6" hunting barrel and 175 grain winchester silver tips. They Claim that barrel and bullet make 775 lbs.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:14:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Why waste a good centerfire cartridge when a 22 LR will work just as well?
But since you gave me the good news, my 40 might take one this year just for the hell of it!
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:15:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Bout damn time they joined the late twentieth century. Being a 10mm fan, I always thought the old "having an overall cartridge case length of 1.25 inches" was stupid. Besides, overall makes me think "combined" as in two or more things. And, let's see here, my 10 has an overall cartridge length of 1.25 inches....hmmmm.
I doubt I use it this year, but I've always carried my G20 while deer hunting, you know, just in case. As in just in case Bambi came and started eating out of my hand or somethin

ETA: Just went and looked at the regs, we're still fighting a case of the stupids apparently. The way it reads for rifles, and has for a while, only centerfire .22s have a mag limit capacity.You can only have seven 5.56 .220 Swift, etc, but hell, load up all twenty 7.62s in your M1A if  you want.
I'm not in favor of mag capacity limits at all, but it should be even across the board. I'm surprised they didn't limit semi auto handguns to the old ten round mags or something equally dumb.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:28:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Forget them automatics, I'll use my 41 magnum with a 210 grain semiwadcutter.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:46:52 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Forget them automatics, I'll use my 41 magnum with a 210 grain semiwadcutter.

+1 for the 41, I've shot one deer and two javalina with mine, only I used a 265gr lswc.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:05:39 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

ETA: Just went and looked at the regs, we're still fighting a case of the stupids apparently. The way it reads for rifles, and has for a while, only centerfire .22s have a mag limit capacity.You can only have seven 5.56 .220 Swift, etc, but hell, load up all twenty 7.62s in your M1A if  you want.

I like my AK74 for just that it's .215( 21 1/2 cal)centerfire(so it's under the .22 restriction!!)and with a 60 gr hollow point so it's reg compliant.And it don't weigh next to nothing!!

I shot 2 last year in the head at 120-150 yards ( with a scope of course)
and 1 vitals shot( just to see the damage it sustained)( by the way it just fell over!)
damn! you could hardly see the entrance hole but the exit wound
was the size of a silver dollar!!On a straight side vital shot( 75yrds or so)
it  hit the shoulder blade on the other side and came out the base of the neck.
Internal damage was awesome !!!
needless to say I'm use'in it this year as well!
I did have a run in with the game warden here and he was wondering why I had
a 30 rnd clip in it, I told him ' you never know when yer gonna run into a pack of dogs!!
or hogs,and there's no limit on them!!
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 5:57:20 PM EDT
[#6]
30 rd clip for deer hunting????
I must be doing something wrong. I have only needed one shell per deer for the last 15 years or so!
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 6:41:59 PM EDT
[#7]
like I said ,
there's alot of hogs runnin around where I hunt also.
And last year I killed 6 dogs  3 in the same day!
Also that day I took 2 hogs in the morning and a nice buck that afternoon.

I've since went to 2 10 rnd clips ,1 in the pocket and 1 in the gun!
And I even carry a 9mm with Mag Tec.hollow points during bow season(for personal protection)

Link Posted: 8/18/2005 8:14:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Just kidding! Last time we went looking for hogs, I had an M1A and a full 20 rd clip ready to raise hell. Of course, we didn't find the damn hogs!
Had I gone turkey hunting this year in the same area, I would have had the M1A or Colt AR with a big clip! But the shoulder operation kind of played hell with that idea.
AMD63, tear those dogs and hogs up!
I always carry a Mini14 scoped Ranch Rifle in the truck for the dogs and coyotes! It almost always has a 20 rd clip in it!
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 4:31:47 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Just kidding! Last time we went looking for hogs, I had an M1A and a full 20 rd clip ready to raise hell. Of course, we didn't find the damn hogs!
Had I gone turkey hunting this year in the same area, I would have had the M1A or Colt AR with a big clip! But the shoulder operation kind of played hell with that idea.
AMD63, tear those dogs and hogs up!
I always carry a Mini14 scoped Ranch Rifle in the truck for the dogs and coyotes! It almost always has a 20 rd clip in it!

I wanna go hog huntin. Can I bring my AK47 with a 75 round drum?? Just ummmm....incase we run into a heard of them. And I could bring my AR with a 100 round drum for ummmmm......packs of dogs.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:31:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Rat, if my other shoulder wasn't going to get cut next month, I'd probably would go looking for them. Last year I spent some time looking for the hogs while deer hunting. The land owner - by Vici - told us to kill as many as we could. The only thing we saw was around 150 turkeys and they were VERBOTEN!
I'd pay money to see YOU cut loose on a pack of hogs with that 75 rd drum! I know you would do some good work with it! And the landowner would probably have you back ANY time you wanted if you did get into them!
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 4:44:06 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Rat, if my other shoulder wasn't going to get cut next month, I'd probably would go looking for them. I'd pay money to see YOU cut loose on a pack of hogs with that 75 rd drum! I know you would do some good work with it! And the landowner would probably have you back ANY time you wanted if you did get into them!

You could be the spotter....hehehe...... I'm so up for it!! Especially if I have my bi-pod on the ole AK......And oh just think if I had one of them M1919 belt feds with a crank on it like 4gma (I forget his new name on here) has!!! *SHWING*

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 4:59:01 AM EDT
[#12]
redgoat from Tx has a 1919 on a crank
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:51:59 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
like I said ,
there's alot of hogs runnin around where I hunt also.
And last year I killed 6 dogs  3 in the same day!

See i live around alot of farms and fields broken up by wooded sections.
The dogs are more than likely domestic dogs gone ferel.
Anyway, last year during bow season I was followed by 3
of them while walking back from my stand at dusk.
when I heard one of them(with a low growl) I
turned to see 3 dogs, one in the center and one to each side.
The one in the center was doing the "creep growl" and the
ones on the sides were trying to work around the sides of me.
Basicly they were hunting ME !
So to make a story short I shot them!!
and have shot a total of 3 more in the previous 2 years.

As for the hogs,, I think they are wild not ferel,
but I'm not shure.They are ALL black,no multi-colored ones or brown ones,there's probably
20 or 30 OR MORE!!of them on a 240 acr  track.

Anyway they shure taste good!!
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 4:58:18 PM EDT
[#14]
hell I'm up for some hog hunting, nothing funner than puttin a pork chop in the oven, as long as when its done a bun doesn't follow, but seriously, if theres a place to hunt hogs for free I'm in, we could have a group hunt drink fest throw another hog on the barby, be the envy of the other hometown forums.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 2:56:38 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
hell I'm up for some hog hunting, nothing funner than puttin a pork chop in the oven, as long as when its done a bun doesn't follow, but seriously, if theres a place to hunt hogs for free I'm in, we could have a group hunt drink fest throw another hog on the barby, be the envy of the other hometown forums.

Sorry L,
This place is private owned land(indian tribal land)
BUT.....I do know there is a pubilc hunting area around Tallaquah(I know it's not spelled right)
My dad knows where it is,
Anyway there's hogs there!!
But I'm not shure what the rifle size restrictions are??
I'll get back with more info about that place.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 3:21:29 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sorry L,
This place is private owned land(indian tribal land)
BUT.....I do know there is a pubilc hunting area around Tallaquah(I know it's not spelled right)
My dad knows where it is,
Anyway there's hogs there!!
But I'm not shure what the rifle size restrictions are??
I'll get back with more info about that place.

well I guess its a good thing I'm a indian, the part on being private is what messes that up though, as for the rifle, I have a few that will take a hog down quite suffeciently, as long as my shooting is up to standard( I have been known to miss on occasion, even with a shotgun).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top