Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/15/2021 11:54:45 AM EDT
Live in Northern Virginia near where prince William/Fairfax/ loudoun county all come together. Need to have my property line surveyed and marked. Had it done when I bought my house but not sure they really marked it right and the markers are long gone now.

Any idea who to call for this? I guess I am looking for recommended companies.

Anytime I’ve done this before the company was provided by realtor when buying or selling land. Just need it to plan a new fence. I have the plot map from the county but need to know where the line physically is.

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/15/2021 1:33:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/15/2021 2:58:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Live in Northern Virginia near where prince William/Fairfax/ loudoun county all come together. Need to have my property line surveyed and marked. Had it done when I bought my house but not sure they really marked it right and the markers are long gone now.

Any idea who to call for this? I guess I am looking for recommended companies.

Anytime I’ve done this before the company was provided by realtor when buying or selling land. Just need it to plan a new fence. I have the plot map from the county but need to know where the line physically is.

Thanks
View Quote

One of the cost drives is the distance to the nearest bench marks.

Pulling from two bench marks usually is more than adequate for boundaries.
For a fence a single should be good enough.

Does your plat show locations of corner markers?
A metal detector can usually locate them quickly enough.

Link Posted: 7/15/2021 7:46:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

One of the cost drives is the distance to the nearest bench marks.

Pulling from two bench marks usually is more than adequate for boundaries.
For a fence a single should be good enough.

Does your plat show locations of corner markers?
A metal detector can usually locate them quickly enough.

View Quote

My lot is strange shaped and a corner lot. I guess kind of a triangle, in the very most basic shape. One leg seems pretty easy as that neighbor already has a fence. The first issue is the original surveyor said this neighbors fence in on the property line and maybe a little over onto my side. Their fence is starting to fall over. I want to make sure if I put up new fence with them or on my own, the fence is is where it should be. Either on the line if splitting cost or where it belongs.

The other leg of the triangle is the real issue. There is a strip of trees/shrubs/over growth that “appears” to split the property line. This strip ranges from 10 to 20 feet wide as it runs from the back property line towards the street. On the neighbors side,  there is a grass area about 20 feet wide then the neighbor’s drive way. From standing at the street, the common person would assume the grass strip and half of the tree patch belong to the neighbor. It does not. The whole tree patch and about half the grass strip is actually my property. The neighbor knows it, this is not in dispute. I actually have sprinkler heads in the grass patch, was installed before I bought house. Neither of us knows where exactly the property line is. I do not want to accidentally put a fence on their side of the property line.

I figured the safest way to make sure no dispute develops is to have a professional do a survey to mark the line.
Link Posted: 7/15/2021 7:47:58 PM EDT
[#4]

They will work. Thank you
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 5:48:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Property line (lot) stakeout is one of the core services that my company provides. I am a licensed Land Surveyor and routinely work in the counties of Loudoun, Prince William, and Fairfax. Let me know if I can be of any assistance.
Link Posted: 7/24/2021 7:31:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Property line (lot) stakeout is one of the core services that my company provides. I am a licensed Land Surveyor and routinely work in the counties of Loudoun, Prince William, and Fairfax. Let me know if I can be of any assistance.
View Quote

Greetings fellow surveyor!
No license here, just a bunch of experience, and used to do a lot of work in your AO during the housing boom pre 2011.
I now pump autocad and count beans
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 1:10:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

My lot is strange shaped and a corner lot. I guess kind of a triangle, in the very most basic shape. One leg seems pretty easy as that neighbor already has a fence. The first issue is the original surveyor said this neighbors fence in on the property line and maybe a little over onto my side. Their fence is starting to fall over. I want to make sure if I put up new fence with them or on my own, the fence is is where it should be. Either on the line if splitting cost or where it belongs.

The other leg of the triangle is the real issue. There is a strip of trees/shrubs/over growth that “appears” to split the property line. This strip ranges from 10 to 20 feet wide as it runs from the back property line towards the street. On the neighbors side,  there is a grass area about 20 feet wide then the neighbor’s drive way. From standing at the street, the common person would assume the grass strip and half of the tree patch belong to the neighbor. It does not. The whole tree patch and about half the grass strip is actually my property. The neighbor knows it, this is not in dispute. I actually have sprinkler heads in the grass patch, was installed before I bought house. Neither of us knows where exactly the property line is. I do not want to accidentally put a fence on their side of the property line.

I figured the safest way to make sure no dispute develops is to have a professional do a survey to mark the line.
View Quote

Fences do not mean anything.
Permanent boundary markers are what you need to find.

For the most part there should be a permanent marker at each vertex of the property.

Virginia has been here a long time.
If a property has not changed hands you can find all sorts of descriptions in survey plats.
Older ones are often lead pipes in Virginia.
Some are steel, but those often corrode away to nothing but a stain in the earth.
Link Posted: 8/3/2021 7:48:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Get that property surveyed and clearly marked.  If you don’t, somebody, some time, will surely take advantage.
Link Posted: 8/3/2021 3:08:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Get that property surveyed and clearly marked.  If you don’t, somebody, some time, will surely take advantage.
View Quote

Note that wooden stakes and tape marking is NOT  "properly surveyed."

Locate the boundary markers, or have them installed.

In many jurisdictions when a property is divided, permanent boundary markers MUST be installed.

Most commonly on EVERY vertex of the shape of the area.

It gets expensive really fast.
Especially if ether is not clean line of site among the vertices.
Though GPS may have helped here.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top