Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/30/2015 4:12:10 PM EDT
Moved in to a home I had built in April.  Finally got around to doing a radon test.

Detector 1 was 6.2 pCi/L

Detector 2 was 5.3 pCi/L

Average: 5.8.

Needless to say, with a 6 week old and the basement is now finished, I want to add a mitigation system.

Any suggestions, HTF?
Link Posted: 10/30/2015 6:08:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Welcome to Culpeper!  I have activated the old boy network to see who does that kind of work.  Where in Culpeper did you move to?
Link Posted: 10/30/2015 8:41:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Welcome to Culpeper!  I have activated the old boy network to see who does that kind of work.  Where in Culpeper did you move to?
View Quote

I'm not revealing the secret location of the Batcave!  (Just south of the city off of 29.)  

I don't think I am able to vote for the Catalpa Board of Supervisors on Tuesday due to where I live....
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 7:12:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Is there not a vapor barrier under your presumably poured basement?  Are there apparent joints/cracks in your basement floor?  Are your floor drains, water & power subsurface entry a potential conduit/improperly sealed?  Might radon be diffusing from your water (if you have a well, a possibility)?   A properly constructed new basement should not let radon permeate randomly through the floor.   My suggestion is to see if you can ID the entry, in your scenario it is probably a defined point or points that may be easily remedied.  BTW , I'm a few miles South of town too.

ETA:  There is much conjecture with the 4 pCi/L air standard.  I work with risk assessors who feel it's ultra conservative and lends itself to snake oil biz.  You are likey being poisoned more from your carpet, garage, Chinese drywall, all the many volatile compounds brought into the house then any that little bit of radon could do.  Generally speaking the air quality in any building is inferior to outside and could be mitigated.
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 12:56:00 PM EDT
[#4]
The word I'm getting is http://www.radonsolutionsva.net is preferred. Note, I have no experience with them but they were recommended by people I trust.

Link Posted: 11/1/2015 10:27:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The word I'm getting is http://www.radonsolutionsva.net is preferred. Note, I have no experience with them but they were recommended by people I trust.

View Quote

A client of ours hired them to modify an existing system during a renovation that we did several years ago.  I had to coordinate their work and had no problems.  I felt like the owner, Dan???, communicated as best he could and that they were respectful to everyone and the property.  Cleaned up, careful etc..

The owner works in the field too so he may not answer every call but will return a call.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top