Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/11/2013 4:02:26 PM EDT
Right on 460, eastbound side, in the middle of Bedford county.

It is pretty big. Looks to be around 75 - 85% completed. Rumored to house 1400 troops.

Nobody in the area seems to have any concrete information about it and I can't find anything on the Internet about it.

There is nothing "military" in the county.

There are railroad tracks right across the road from it. Where FEMA rail cars could stop    

Anyone here know anything about this?
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:25:05 PM EDT
[#1]

oops
View Quote

I haven't even noticed it when I've driven through there... haven't heard anything about it either.

Speaking of Bedford, anybody know anything about the new gun store opening up there, Indian Ridge Tactical or something like that?

Not trying to hijack the thread, just wondering.

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:30:15 PM EDT
[#2]
If I had to guess it would be a national guard armory
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:46:43 PM EDT
[#3]
New .mil reserve center. The USAR is supposedly standing up at least one new unit and possibly moving several others.

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:25:28 PM EDT
[#4]
This is contrary to all the shifts I see with BRAC and historically military lands went in the shittiest areas.  Bedford is a high dollar/high growth county. I cannot see how it is suddenly advantageous to have a troop presence there.   Call me curious.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 7:05:11 PM EDT
[#5]
You better go to GD and ask Rusted Ace, I bet he knows...

But beware by asking such questions you may get a visit from the dreaded FEMAbot.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 8:08:04 PM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I haven't even noticed it when I've driven through there... haven't heard anything about it either.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

oops

Speaking of Bedford, anybody know anything about the new gun store opening up there, Indian Ridge Tactical or something like that?

Myself and Slowmethinks stopped by on my way top Cola Warrior.  At this point it's just a surplus store but they were waiting for their FFL to arrive and they may have it by now. We spoke to the guys there and they seemed VERY friendly and even traded some sleep system components and gave us a discount on iso mats. The guy said he either was a lurker here or he was a member at one point but doesn't get on anymore. They seemed to have good prices on what they had and they had a lot of newer multicam surplus items. They had complete IFAKs in tan for $35 I believe. I'd say they are and will be GTG and I would stop by more if they weren't an hour away.

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 8:40:58 PM EDT
[#7]
I know the VAARNG is supposed to be trying to consolidate armories/units over the next decade.  Closing company armories and making battalion size ones, cheaper maintenance/green etc.  might be one of the new ones going up.

Or ya know, conspiracy blah blah blah.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:33:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
oops

One of the owners is a friend of mine from the National Guard. He is a heck of a good guy, and has years of military/LE experience. They are going to be offering some awesome training in the future. I haven't stopped by the shop yet, but plan on it soon.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:47:01 AM EDT
[#9]
I stopped by Monday and of course they are closed.  They do now have a sign out front saying that the guns are in.  So the FFL appears to have come through.   I bought a couple IFAKS and a plate carrier a couple weeks ago.  They have a good mix of new and used stuff at decent prices.  I hope they do well.  Its a good stop between Roanoke and Lynchburg when we make the trip.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:32:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Where at in Bedford? In the town across from the State Police office and the old golden coral buidling, on 460?

If so, that is the Army Corps of Engineers building, I believe. The Housing development beside that is a private entity that will incorporate Single Family, Townhouse and Commercial buildings.

If this is not the area, then please disregard.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:46:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

One of the owners is a friend of mine from the National Guard. He is a heck of a good guy, and has years of military/LE experience. They are going to be offering some awesome training in the future. I haven't stopped by the shop yet, but plan on it soon.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
oops

What unit? A 1/116?
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:51:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

What unit? A 1/116?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
oops

What unit? A 1/116?

HHC, right before he got out.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 9:09:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
oops

What unit? A 1/116?

I was in D Co. and in the Farmville unit before it became part of A Co. We probably know a lot of the same folks.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 10:58:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I was in D Co. and in the Farmville unit before it became part of A Co. We probably know a lot of the same folks.
View Quote

I'm sure we do. I left D Co. in late 2012. My avatar pivture is from AT that year. I'm sure our paths have crossed.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 11:18:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Where at in Bedford? In the town across from the State Police office and the old golden coral buidling, on 460?

If so, that is the Army Corps of Engineers building, I believe. The Housing development beside that is a private entity that will incorporate Single Family, Townhouse and Commercial buildings.

If this is not the area, then please disregard.
View Quote

That's the one.

About three years ago the talk in the area was that they were going to build some type of military "base/compound/whatever" in that spot and that it was suppose to house up to 1400 troops.

All of that construction started at the same time on the same lot, or adjoining lots, and you are saying its two seperate things going on?

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 11:40:51 AM EDT
[#16]
I was not in on the "Government" site plan. It is simply labeled as the Corp of Engineers on our plans. I have no knowledge of what is taking place with the Corp building. I do know that the Corp building and site is separate from the adjoining parcel and development.

The Parcel beside the Corp building is being developed into Single/Multifamily lots and some Commercial lots fronting 460 and a few commercial lots in the middle. It is known as Harmony in Bedford.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:29:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I was not in on the "Government" site plan. It is simply labeled as the Corp of Engineers on our plans. I have no knowledge of what is taking place with the Corp building. I do know that the Corp building and site is separate from the adjoining parcel and development.

The Parcel beside the Corp building is being developed into Single/Multifamily lots and some Commercial lots fronting 460 and a few commercial lots in the middle. It is known as Harmony in Bedford.
View Quote

Quit crushing the rumors. Bedford is a boring town.    

Things are a lot more exciting in the area when people think its going to be a FEMA camp.

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:17:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Well there was a file that was classified that we weren't supposed to see. Said something about a "T" Virus or something. But then my computer got the AIDS
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 4:18:49 AM EDT
[#19]
Maybe they are just trying to find the treasure that it supposed to be buried in Bedford?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beale_ciphers

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top