Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/24/2010 1:42:56 PM EDT
The instructions do not explicitly say that the application(s) must be notarized, but they have a place for a notary public to notarize them.  Is that a must?  I read something that suggests that they can or will notarize there at the courthouse.  Is that so?  In CA, it costs $20 a pop to notarize stuff, so if it can be done there, do they charge?

Page 7 of the instructions has a list of docs to verify residency.  One is voter registration card, so I made three copies of it.  Is that enough?  Another item states that those who are renting or leasing must get a notarized statement from their landlord.  I'm not sure if that's a separate requirement or just another option.  Is my voter registration card sufficient?

Can I simply bring all of this to the courthouse during regular hours?  Is there a huge wait?  Will they point out discrepancies or take my money and just deny the permit?

So, I plan on bringing:

3 copies of application
3 copies of "training" cert
3 copies of voter registration card
SASE
$50 (instructions say they take VISA... true?  Fairfax County)

Is that enough?  Any more hidden hoops to jump through?
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 2:22:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't sign it and Fairfax County will notarize it for you at the Civil Intake Desk.   Banks do it here for free or nominal fee.  Call the number for Fairfax listed in the instructions and ask questions before you get there and they will walk you through it.  

Not sure about Visa, but bring cash or check just in case.  Do you have a valid VA driver's license?

Yes they are open normal business hours.  Get there early/when its opening up and don't go at the end/beginning of the month, people filing other paperwork usually file around that time.

They usually will let you know at time of intake if its complete, they won't reject you right away, but may make you come back with the proper info.  Make or get a copy of the application, you may need it if they go longer then 45 days

Link Posted: 10/25/2010 3:38:15 AM EDT
[#2]
They are asking for things that are not called for in the statue. For example, you are not required to submit copies or a stamped envelope. The longer we let them get away with extralegal requirements the more they will expand them. The process is outlined by the state, the county cannot add requirements.
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 9:19:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
They are asking for things that are not called for in the statue. For example, you are not required to submit copies or a stamped envelope. The longer we let them get away with extralegal requirements the more they will expand them. The process is outlined by the state, the county cannot add requirements.

Truth.. don't let them pull the bullsh!t card on you.
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 9:42:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Link to the statute?  I Googled but came up bingo.

I emailed Philip Van Cleave about this.  If VCDL is interested in stomping on this, I'll happily work with them.  If not, I'll take a stab at shooting them down myself, if I have the text of the law to back me up.  I will admit, though, that I'm not willing to martyr myself over a couple of copies I've already made and a stamp worth less than $.50

If anyone has any insight into this court, the process, etc. I'd be more than happy to do what I can to get them to fix their procedure.
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 9:57:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link to the statute?  I Googled but came up bingo.

I emailed Philip Van Cleave about this.  If VCDL is interested in stomping on this, I'll happily work with them.  If not, I'll take a stab at shooting them down myself, if I have the text of the law to back me up.  I will admit, though, that I'm not willing to martyr myself over a couple of copies I've already made and a stamp worth less than $.50

If anyone has any insight into this court, the process, etc. I'd be more than happy to do what I can to get them to fix their procedure.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-308

§ 18.2-308. Personal protection; carrying concealed weapons; when lawful to carry.

The Virginia Supreme Court & State Police created the form, not Fairfax County.
They placed the notary blanks there.
From § 18.2-308, D  "The application shall be made under oath before a notary or other person qualified to take oaths and shall be made only on a form prescribed by the Department of State Police, in consultation with the Supreme Court, requiring only that information necessary to determine eligibility for the permit."
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 10:29:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Given today's gas prices/increase, a .44 cent stamp maybe easier then picking it up
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 1:50:33 PM EDT
[#7]
PVC says:

A recent court case ruled that they can ask for such extra-copies if that is standard procedure for the court to do so.
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 2:20:45 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Given today's gas prices/increase, a .44 cent stamp maybe easier then picking it up

Yes.... but it needs to come out of their costs. PWC mailed mine on their own dime.

Link Posted: 10/25/2010 4:57:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes.... but it needs to come out of their costs. PWC mailed mine on their own dime.

While I can't offer commentary on Fairfax, when I submitted mine to City of Richmond, I filled out the paperwork in the clerk's office, the lady signed off after verifying my IDs backed up who I claim to be, handed 'em a check written out to the amount of $50, addressed to myself an envelope they provided and paid postage for, and went home and played the waiting game.

I brought with me the original training certificate and two copies; the lady simply looked them over and told me I didn't need to give her a copy.  Whether or not this is SOP is beyond me, but figured I'd chime in.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 4:22:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Well, I'm going to drive over at lunch and turn it all in.  We'll see!
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 5:09:42 AM EDT
[#11]
has anybody tried to renew through the mail with fairfax? Mine comes up in Feburay so I"m just curious.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 8:19:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Is fingerprinting a county-by-county thing?  I was talking to someone at work, and he asked if I'd gone to the state police to get fingerprinted yet.  I said huh?  No, Fairfax County never mentions that in their instructions.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 8:46:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Yes fingerprinting is county by county.  Fairfax doesn't have a fingerprint requirement for CHP.  There is a NFA fingerprint requirement, but thats outside county control.

Quoted:
Is fingerprinting a county-by-county thing?  I was talking to someone at work, and he asked if I'd gone to the state police to get fingerprinted yet.  I said huh?  No, Fairfax County never mentions that in their instructions.

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 9:39:24 AM EDT
[#14]
You can try to argue about whether extra copies and a SASE are "required," but when you're dealing with circuit court clerks, you're wasting your breath. They are elected officials and don't answer to anybody about how they run things. Trust me, it's not worth it. The alternative to the SASE is likely their telling you "then come and pick it up in person," which is how many of them do it anyway. They're actually doing you a favor by mailing it to you - the Code doesn't require them to do that, let alone pay for it.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 11:44:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
You can try to argue about whether extra copies and a SASE are "required," but when you're dealing with circuit court clerks, you're wasting your breath. They are elected officials and don't answer to anybody about how they run things. .

I completely disagree. They are elected officials and are accountable to EVERYONE! The taxpayers and citizens are their bosses and they only get their authority to do the job by the election to the office by the people.

Quoted:
The alternative to the SASE is likely their telling you "then come and pick it up in person," which is how many of them do it anyway. They're actually doing you a favor by mailing it to you - the Code doesn't require them to do that, let alone pay for it..

The Code also doesn't allow for them to ask for one penny above $50. Not $50.01, Not $50.00 and stamp.  It also doesn't allow for them to ask for 3 copies of didlysquat. The Code says "A copy", not 3 copies, not multiple copies, not as many copies as the Clerk thinks that they'll need since they are too lazy to walk their asses down the hall to the copier. Also, in the case of a temporary permit, the Code requires them to "send the permit", which obvioulsy implies mailing it.

Give them an inch.....
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 11:50:18 AM EDT
[#16]
caexpat - If you decide to attend the class that was mentioned in the other thread, I cover all of these training/CHP questions that you have been asking.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 1:29:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
caexpat - If you decide to attend the class that was mentioned in the other thread, I cover all of these training/CHP questions that you have been asking.

I do want to sign up for a "real" class.  I just wanted to get my app in ASAP and get the 45 day clock started :)

On that, when I asked about an interim permit if the 45 days goes by, she said, "We usually mail them from 45-55 days". :(  I just wasn't feeling particularly ornery, and I needed to eat and scoot back to work, and she's just a clerk, not a decision maker.  But, clearly, the County of Fairfax thinks it can operate outside of the law.  But not too far outside, and PVC didn't seem to concerned about it, so, like I said... I'm not looking to martyr myself.
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 5:33:17 AM EDT
[#18]
I just got mine from Fairfax about six months ago.  Came in from overseas, bunch of moves within 3 years, got mine right at the 45 day mark.  If Fairfax is slow, I would think it probably has to do with volume and the court's schedule, not any type of hidden anti gun agenda.  As you found out, it's a big operation at the courthouse, but they did appear to be pro-2A.
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 5:27:12 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

has anybody tried to renew through the mail with fairfax? Mine comes up in Feburay so I"m just curious.

One of the things that took effect Jul 1 2010 was the clarification that one CAN renew by mail. And that includes Fairfax whether they like it or not

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top