Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/5/2008 6:39:12 AM EDT

Members,

I have both good and bad news to report.  First the good news.  This week, treasurer Sam Work met with representatives of MCB Quantico regarding potential facilitiy lease fees.  After presenting our case, the base representatives elected rather to license the facilities to us for a fee of approximately $2000 every five years.  This is substantially better than a lease agreement, which could have been $5000+ every year.  Additionally, we were informed that our revised bylaws were approved by base legal counsel, and will soon be signed by the chief of staff.  This  will give us a great deal of lattitude in optimizing our structure and processes.   There is still no word on whether or not we'll be charged the full fee for range useage.

Further on the good news front, the operations officer will soon be able to schedule and check the status of our ranges directly with range control scheduling system.  Hopefully this will go a long way toward elminating the problems we've had in the past.

Now the bad news.  We've lost range 305 for rec fire opportunities.  Range control claims that the new targetry installed on 305 requires a contractor be present when the range is hot.  (This rule applies to the Marines as well.)  Apparently there is some sort of contractual requirement that mandates this.  Additonally, WTBN informs me that 305 isn't in the WTBN SOP for rec fire.  Range one is supposed to be reopened in the near future, and we'll move our rifle rec fire program back there.  We'll have a better idea on the timeline early next week.

More change coming:  The BOD will soon be discussing options for moving the QSC to a paid RSO system in order to ensure ranges will be open regularly.  We're still running the numbers on this, but members should anticipate paying a fee to shoot in addition to their membership dues, which will probably go up as well.   In exchange for these additional fees ranges will be open frequently and with a set schedule.

The next QSC meeting will be 20 September, where we'll discuss these topics.  We have tentatively scheduled a wounded veterans shoot on 27 September, and we're looking at an open house event in October.  We'll be asking for volunteers as those dates firm up.

2008 has been a year of major change for the QSC, and it isn't over yet.  We remain a strong, viable club with over 1400 members.  At the end of this we'll still be shooting.

See you on the range!

John Murphy
President
Quantico Shooting Club

John, I want to thank you for fighting the good fight, and I hope you understand that your efforts have indeed been greatly appreciated.  However, this was the last straw, and I understand that none of it is your fault.

First steel targets were prohibited.  Okay, that was fun to shoot, but I guess I can survive with paper, despite cross breezes.

Then certain calibers were banned.  7.62x54R, but not it's ballistic equivalent, .30-06.  7.62x51mm was banned, but not .308 Winchester (or maybe it was vice versa - either way, it's the same as if it was said that .223Remington was banned but 5.56x45mm NATO wasn't -- the same bloody cartridge!).  7.62x39mm was banned, but not 6.8SPC, which performs just the same, if not better.  7.62x25mm (Tokarev) was banned along with all these others, under the claims that they fired too far - nevermind that Tokarev is a pistol cartridge.

Then they clarified this asinine position by revising it, only to ban "Soviet-type" ammunition (7.62x54R, 7.62x39, 7.62x25).

Well, at least I can still shoot my M1A and AR15...

But now they've closed Range 305?

That's not just the last straw, but the removal of all incentive for me to be a QSC member.  Now that the appeal of distance shooting has been taken away, there's nothing that QSC can offer me which I cannot find through other, closer, establishments.

Again, thanks for fighting the good fight, John, but I think it's been made clear by Quantico that we're no longer welcome.

_MaH
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 6:48:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 12:42:48 PM EDT
[#2]
John has been doing a great job for the QSC considering what the present leadship at the Quantico Marine Corp Base has been implementing.  Range 1, when it opens (hopefully very soon) offers a covered (versus Range 305 uncovered) 300 yard range.  For greater distances Range 4 is available.  

I think we should support John to try to solve the problems and obstacles placed before us rather than just give up.  If it is the Base Commander that is causing some of the problems facing the QSC, then it is just a matter of time before the Base Commander rotates out and the new Base Commander may be more accommodating like some the previous base commanders.

How many other places in the vicinity can you shoot rifles at 300+ yards?  If you are not military or a DoD employee and you give up your QSC membership, you will probably have to wait to join again (placed on a waiting list) when you believe conditions at the QSC have improved to your satisfaction.  Three years ago a friend waited 2 years to join the QSC.

This is just some of my thoughts and I think the QSC members should give the QSC leadership some more time and help if they can to work thing out.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 4:42:33 PM EDT
[#3]
When R1 comes back we'll be allowed to shoot steel there, and the commie calibers are coming back.  Don't be too hasty, and remember we shot exclusively on R1 for decades before moving to 305.

I'm meeting with the new CO and XO of WTBN on the 15th at 0830.  We're going to be holding an open house/wounded warrior shoot on 27 September.  There's plenty of reason to remain a member of the QSC.

John
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top