No:  18%

Link Posted: 1/29/2006 2:40:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Total number of votes:  100059
Yes:  90%

No:  10%

Link Posted: 1/29/2006 3:29:23 AM EDT
[#3]
it was a tuff choice, but........... :-)  Can't wait till I can carry on my campus .
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 3:51:49 AM EDT
[#4]
roanoke.com: The Daily Pulse
Sunday, January 29, 2006

Guns on campus

Go to message board

Total number of votes:  100064

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Daily Pulse is an online survey of those who choose to participate and therefore is not a scientific sample.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do you support the legislation to allow firearms on college campuses?

Link Posted: 1/29/2006 4:56:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 5:01:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Total number of votes:  100074

Link Posted: 1/29/2006 5:50:15 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
it was a tuff choice, but........... :-)  Can't wait till I can carry on my campus .

Don't be to sure, the bill went to a different sub committee than we were expecting, one committee member is staunchly anti gun, and two are democrats. If you can come speak or show up to support it monday morning.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 5:55:42 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't be to sure, the bill went to a different sub committee than we were expecting, one committee member is staunchly anti gun, and two are democrats. If you can come speak or show up to support it monday morning.

I go to school in DC.  It was a morbid joke.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 6:01:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Yesterday's Roanoke Times had a predictably anti-gun editorial, focused on that state legislator who had a ND in his office a few days ago, you can guess which side they're on.

eta: just hit the poll.

Total number of votes:  100083

Link Posted: 1/29/2006 6:24:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Monday morning? What time?
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 6:38:42 AM EDT
[#11]
YOu mean that I can't carry on campus?

Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:00:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Tell me again how they know if you are carrying a concealed weapon ....  
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:47:09 AM EDT
[#13]
7:30 AM

I am going to try and make it, depends on when it will let out. I have a big test at 9 AM
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:16:35 AM EDT
[#14]
It's kind of a smoke and mirror sthing anyway, you CAN carry on campus. I can go on any campus in the state, save for VCU and carry concealed. So can students, by state law. The only thing covering you is campus policies, and since they are state organizations (public schools, obviously), to me it seems a violation of state preemption.

I've carried my handgun onto quite a few state and private schools, fully within the state code. I feel confident that enough precedent is set that if I got hooked up by a local for violation of some campus policy, I would have quite a convincing case.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:29:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Yeh what really gets me on this is that a so called forensic science professor (who is suppose to know the law) preached for 30min in her class on thursday that carrying was a crime on campus. She said she didnt like the idea of students that she gives grades to having a gun. Seems she needs to find another profession if she cant deal with it.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 11:19:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Hit
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 11:49:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Total number of votes: 100147
Yes: 90%

No: 10%
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 3:05:40 PM EDT
[#18]
So long as it is against campus policies students will not be able to carry without fear of being expelled. Preemption only covers localities, not universities
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 3:28:35 PM EDT
[#19]
If I remember my college days correctly, as a student there were not too many evenings where we did not venture into some place that served alcohol.   I think that if the campus regulations allowed it, you would be hard pressed to find a place to leave your weapon.  Most of the time we walked around, or rode in a friend's car.   I would not leave me firearm in someone else's car.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 4:39:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Ok so tomorrow morning at the capital? What commitie and where can I find the docket. Finally, where does one park at the capital?
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 4:49:11 PM EDT
[#21]
I've been wondering how a state school could break state preemption laws.

Jefferson is rolling over in his grave.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 4:56:14 PM EDT
[#22]
8th floor of the General Assembly Building (SE corner of 9th and
Broad) in the West Conference Room.

Look for me i'll be in khaki cargo pants and a polo, my girlfriend will be coming with me. I have short brown hair, also Philip told me "You can park at the Coliseum Garage about 3 blocks north of Broad on
7th street on the right.  You can then walk 3 blocks south and east 2
blocks and you are there."

PM me if you have any other questions or wanna swap contact info to meet up.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 6:05:43 PM EDT
[#23]
I will be there as long as I get to sleep at a decent time tonight.

Also looks like from google earth I can park where I park to go to bell isle and just walk a couple of blocks. Is the building connected to the capital? No federal building or anything so I cant carry right?
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 6:57:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Should be able to carry with no issues
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 9:44:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Yeh so 2am I cant sleep. Will not be making it in the morning dont think.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:23:04 AM EDT
[#26]
Bill was killed, they had a rep from pretty much every school there against the bill. I was there, Philip, Mike Stollenworth, another VCDL member and someone else supporting the bill.

All of our arguments were sane and logical, but the anti's preyed on fear of 'accidents' that could happen in certain areas of study. The chair of the committee told them if these people were so prone to accidents they should not be allowed to study those areas then.

Also as usual the anti's made up a bunch of lies. Unbeknownst to me I was sitting beside two of them the whole time, and I spoke for the bill before them. One of them was the VP for Government affairs for my school too

Two VP's from VCU spoke to Philip and I afterwards and told us they wanted to see if they could work things out, but it's probably smoke and mirrors. They gave us their cards, we'll see what happens. I'm not giving this up.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:55:53 AM EDT
[#27]
Well at least they might be willing to work things out at their school. Could you pm me their info and I will see what I can do to help.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 2:35:26 PM EDT
[#28]
I was the other VCDL member there today. Its true that the school reps did put forth some inane and misleading arguements.  Especially the one about how cops are allowed to carry everywhere.  Definitely not true of my school George Mason U.  I really liked the one about putting a stray bullet into radioactive materials or an oxygen tank.  Or that the army doesn't allow soldiers to carry weapons off duty.   Yeah they dont carry their military weapons off duty, but their personal weapons are another story. The state of Georgia automatically gives all soldiers there a permit to carry doesn't it?  Anyhow its not the end of the world.  Unless you are at VCU you can still carry, sorry Fiend.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:30:19 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I was the other VCDL member there today. Its true that the school reps did put forth some inane and misleading arguements.  Especially the one about how cops are allowed to carry everywhere.  Definitely not true of my school George Mason U.  I really liked the one about putting a stray bullet into radioactive materials or an oxygen tank.  Or that the army doesn't allow soldiers to carry weapons off duty.   Yeah they dont carry their military weapons off duty, but their personal weapons are another story. The state of Georgia automatically gives all soldiers there a permit to carry doesn't it?  Anyhow its not the end of the world.  Unless you are at VCU you can still carry, sorry Fiend.

Thanks for showin up, good to see another arfcom VCDL member.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:53:16 AM EDT
[#30]
So you can legally carry at VT?

I'm a little confused here.

Guys, please give me a list of the arguments that you heard.  I'm going to be doing a follow-up argument here @ Tech and I need to know what kinds of craziness I'm dealing with.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:57:55 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Yesterday's Roanoke Times had a predictably anti-gun editorial, focused on that state legislator who had a ND in his office a few days ago, you can guess which side they're on.

eta: just hit the poll.

Total number of votes:  100083

The Roanoke Times is very anti-gun.  They won't even post advertisements for gun stores if they include ads for a handgun.  I don't buy a paper from them anymore.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 10:09:58 PM EDT
[#32]
All the public universities and colleges can do in terms of banning guns is to enact an administrative ban.  Their regulations have no force in law and do not invalidate your permit or even open carry.  They might expell you, or try to charge you with tresspassing, but they can't prosecute you for carrying a concealed weapon.  VCU has a funny exemption in the code which is only a administrative thing too I believe.  As for the arguements, do you want the pro or anti ones?  
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:37:37 AM EDT
[#33]
The virginia administrative code is what regulates state agencies. You cant charge from that code it just simply means that the workings of agencies are codeafied.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:21:51 AM EDT
[#34]
I think we about killed that poll.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:27:03 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
As for the arguements, do you want the pro or anti ones?  

Anything you've got.  It'll help to know what arguments have already been heard by both sides.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 9:50:30 AM EDT
[#36]
nothing?...
Top Top