Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/3/2006 6:17:22 PM EDT
As a Hokie alum ('96), I agree completely.

http://www.roanoke.com/sports/mcfarling/wb/46887

Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Vick's antics cheapen win

By Aaron McFarling

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- He'll get away with it. He always does. The coaching staff will review the tape and determine that it was just some "unfortunate incident," and that will be that.
Marcus Vick will survive again with a slap on the Nike wristband. The message will remain clear.
Just rescue us with that right arm, big guy. Don't listen to the haters who only want to bring you down. Just win, baby. Then it's all OK.

The Virginia Tech Hokies did win the Gator Bowl here Monday. Won it with a great fourth-quarter comeback that Vick was a big part of engineering. It should have been a fantastic feel-good tale.
It was perfect swan song for game MVP Cedric Humes, who ran for a late score. It was another tribute to the steady play of tight end Jeff King, who caught the go-ahead TD pass and now is off to show his stuff on Sundays. It was another testament to Bud Foster's defense, which recovered from a rough first half to become vicious again.

But what the Hokies won was tempered by what they lost.

They lost some respect.

They lost it late in the second quarter, when Vick looked down at his fallen opponent, raised his cleated foot and stomped on the knee of Louisville's Elvis Dumervil. If you didn't see it, you will soon. Check the highlight shows. Unfortunately for Tech, this is the highlight many will be talking about.

Here's the irony: During the game Monday, at the exact moment you at home were waiting for the first replay of this incident, NBC sent its cameras into the stands, where Michael Vick was granting an interview about his younger brother's steady progression.

Michael said the usual stuff. Then finally, the network came back to the play, and as they showed it over and over again, it became more clear that this was a pretty egregious act.

And that's the thing about Marcus Vick. We want to believe what we hear. We want to believe all the interviews that tell us about maturation and leadership and learning from mistakes.

But it contradicts what we see with our eyes. And the only person who can control that is Vick.
If he doesn't care what his image is, you shouldn't waste your breath trying to defend it.
Both Vick and coach Frank Beamer said the quarterback apologized to Dumervil after the game.

Strange, because Dumervil later said he hadn't heard a word from Vick other than competitive jawing on the field.
"It showed he was a no-character individual," said Dumervil, the winner of the Bronko Nagurski trophy for the nation's best defensive player. "I definitely thought it was intentional. He stomped on my knee. My left knee is still hurting."

Louisville coach Bobby Petrino bit his tongue and called the incident "unfortunate." There's that word again.

The only person who stood up and said exactly what needed to be said was Tech quarterbacks coach Kevin Rogers.

He was so furious with Vick that he considered recommending to Beamer that the quarterback be benched.

He decided against it, he said, because he didn't want to hurt the other 21 players on the field.
"There's no place for it in the game," Rogers said, echoing comments he said he told Vick as the quarterback came off the field. "It hurts him. It hurts our program, and it's frankly just embarrassing."

Thank the good Lord for Rogers, a stand-up guy who's not afraid to speak the truth, even if the truth is critical of one of the game's top performers. And his words mean more than anybody's.

He's been Vick's most ardent supporter, his tutor, his confidant.
When he tells people Vick has turned a corner, it'd be nice if Vick didn't double back.
Rogers said he thinks Vick got the message this time. We can only hope.
But chances are, the message Vick got was the one he always gets, the one that was expressed as he headed to the tunnel after the game.

A large group of lingering Tech fans cheered him loudly. Little kids reached over the railing and tried to touch him. A middle-aged man yelled "Way to go, Marcus!"

Yes, whoop it up, everyone.
It's a win.

(C)2006 The Roanoke Times

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:22:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Marcus Vick is a punk, always has been, always will be.
He'll never be the caliber(personally) of his brother.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:42:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Both the Vicks are jackasses---I mean the Mexico brothers.  Cut of the same clothe as the lothsome piece of scum Alan Iverson.---
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 3:11:37 AM EDT
[#3]
I was hoping either Cory Holt would take the field in the 3rd quarter or Vick would get "hurt" and need to be taken out of the game.  What a dick!  

The funny thing is on techsideline.com I was posting in the in-game chat board how I wish Vick would get taken out of the game one way or another and after the game I posted that the win was tarnished and I was branded as a UVA or WVU troll

I don't know what is worse, Vick or the people who defend him.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:46:35 AM EDT
[#4]
He definately has a run of 'thug' in him at times.  See WVU game, the underage girl thing, the midnight I-64 mary jane incident, etc.

In respect to football, after having seen both him and his brother play in person countless times, I find if laughable that some people think he's as good as Michael.  
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 10:30:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Both Vick brother's are pieces of crap.

Maybe they should look to the Barber's boys for some inspiration on how to play the game the right way.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 11:47:24 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Both the Vicks are jackasses---I mean the Mexico brothers.  Cut of the same clothe as the lothsome piece of scum Alan Iverson.---

What he said.....
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 3:44:44 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Both Vick brother's are pieces of crap.

Maybe they should look to the Barber's boys for some inspiration on how to play the game the right way.

+1 on that.  
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 4:40:38 PM EDT
[#8]
They are a disgrace.  But for some reason, people I know will defend them.  I bet that Tech will slap some silly fine on him, send him to 'counseling', and bank the millions from the boosters.  This makes me sick, because it is NOT what college ball is about.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:22:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Word is that he will be suspended for the first game of the 06 season.  
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 5:49:00 AM EDT
[#10]
I wrote a scathing letter to the alumni association, detailing my displeasure about that little turd making my beloved VT look bad.  It probably won't even be read, but I feel better.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 1:50:02 PM EDT
[#11]
+1 on every respose so far.... I couldn't  agree more
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 1:33:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 1:51:41 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
booted

I just read that on espn.com.  Can't say that I'm suprised, he was lucky to come back the first time around according to Jim Weaver (VT athletic director).
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:05:03 PM EDT
[#14]
He got what he deserved, the punk. VT will be better off without him IMO.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:10:50 PM EDT
[#15]
I agree. I think its a good decision. If he was allowed to stay it would create an image of thugs and criminals as Hokies, and all us Hokies know that's not how Tech is.

Now he's off to spend numerous years as a backup NFL quarterback.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:12:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Time to see what Sean Glennon and Cory Holt have to offer.  I hear Ike Whitaker is pretty good as well.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:19:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Good riddance.  Sully my Hokies any longer, he will not.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:11:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Nice to see the University put its foot down...(pun intended)

Marcus Vick ought to look up Maurice Clarett now that he'll have his weekends free too...
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 6:21:51 AM EDT
[#19]
Good riddance.   I hope this sends a message to other college athletes that a bare minimum amount of socially acceptable  behaviour is required.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:13:23 AM EDT
[#20]
"It's not a big deal," Vick told the newspaper. "I'll just move on to the next level, baby."

Here's hoping he gets chop blocked in his first NFL game.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 8:37:14 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
"It's not a big deal," Vick told the newspaper. "I'll just move on to the next level, baby."

Here's hoping he gets chop blocked in his first NFL game PRACTICE.

There...fixed it.

I would not be surprised if he got passed over in the draft.  Strike that...Al Davis doesn't care what kind of person you may be.  Just win, baby!  Hmmm - some similarities here...

I'd love to see his VPI class schedule and GPA.  How some of these "Student Athletes" like Vick manage to stay in school past the first semester is a mystery to me.  Gotta wonder if that's not why big brother left...he's no Ph.D. himself...

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 9:00:12 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

There...fixed it.

I would not be surprised if he got passed over in the draft.  Strike that...Al Davis doesn't care what kind of person you may be.  Just win, baby!  Hmmm - some similarities here...

I'd love to see his VPI class schedule and GPA.  How some of these "Student Athletes" like Vick manage to stay in school past the first semester is a mystery to me.  Gotta wonder if that's not why big brother left...he's no Ph.D. himself...

At Tech I actually had some classes that had football players in attendance.  Some of them would surprise you.  Andre Davis who know plays for Cleveland was in the same public speaking course and he did a lot better than some of the idiot frat boys.  Though I think it can be safely said that Marcus isn't a rocket scientist.  I would be surpised if his QCA was above a 2.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 10:09:23 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

There...fixed it.

At Tech I actually had some classes that had football players in attendance.  Some of them would surprise you.  Andre Davis who know plays for Cleveland was in the same public speaking course and he did a lot better than some of the idiot frat boys.  Though I think it can be safely said that Marcus isn't a rocket scientist.  I would be surpised if his QCA was above a 2.

I've also wondered what the pro football prospects score on the Wonderlick test.  I have seen former career Senior NCO's score in the low teens, and have seen other folks as high as 39.  

Ya reckon some of these ball players post single digit scores?  Vick certainly strikes me as a candidate...  
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 12:40:05 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm currently a student at VT and I've hated the football program since they allowed him to come back the first time.  It's not just Vick who takes plays off and talks smack the entire game.  Everytime I watched that team play this year they disappointed me both in their level of play and their sportsmanship.  Especially in the final couple plays at the end of the ACC chamionship where we got those consecutive personal foul penalties when the game was clearly lost.  I didn't watch the Gator Bowl, and I'm glad I didn't.

Maybe this is a sign that all these antics are coming to a steady halt.  I wouldn't bet my money on it, but I am temporarily a fan again.  Now if they'd just get all the drunk, obnoxious, disrespectful people out of just one section of the stadium I might buy season tickets.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 12:58:18 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:  Maybe this is a sign that all these antics are coming to a steady halt....Now if they'd just get all the drunk, obnoxious, disrespectful people out of just one section of the stadium I might buy season tickets.

Consider yourself lucky...at WVU they fill the entire stadium...
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 1:33:11 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:  Maybe this is a sign that all these antics are coming to a steady halt....Now if they'd just get all the drunk, obnoxious, disrespectful people out of just one section of the stadium I might buy season tickets.

Consider yourself lucky...at WVU they fill the entire stadium...hr

hahaha no that's what I'm saying.  They're all over the stadium at Tech, I want just a single section that is cleared of all that crap so I can actually enjoy the game I paid money to see.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 1:45:50 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Maybe this is a sign that all these antics are coming to a steady halt.  I wouldn't bet my money on it, but I am temporarily a fan again.  Now if they'd just get all the drunk, obnoxious, disrespectful people out of just one section of the stadium I might buy season tickets.

I may be drunk, but I am not disrespectful.  I am more entertaining then obnoxious.

BTW there are some local arfcommers here in the NRV.  Every now and then during a blue moon we get together for a shoot at the National Forest Shooting range at Craig Creek.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 4:19:54 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Here's hoping he gets chop blocked in his first NFL game.

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 4:38:21 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I may be drunk, but I am not disrespectful.  I am more entertaining then obnoxious.here

Well count me in on the next one!  I've been lookin' for shootin' buddies around here for awhile.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 12:47:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Hot off the presses ladies and gents. Vick arrested for brandishing a firearm. Real class act boys and girls.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 12:50:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Here is the link:

msnbc.msn.com/id/10777702/

what a dick head, his brother has to be embarrassed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top