Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2005 3:15:58 PM EDT
I am up for doing some blasting on Sunday at the National Forest shooting range in Blacksburg.  Anyone else want to go?
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 4:13:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Well its a little short notice for me to go so far (3 hours), But if im up @ my brothers/ Blacksburg Im game.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 4:55:52 PM EDT
[#2]
You gonna bring the in-laws-to-be?
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 4:59:54 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm in.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 8:08:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Come 3 hours west and I'm in.  

I even have about 350 acres to shoot on.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 10:47:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Where's that?, asks the new guy in Richmond.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 3:13:53 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Where's that?, asks the new guy in Richmond.

It is just outside of Blacksburg, Virginia (southwest of Roanoke)  From I81 Take exit 114C and go west of US 460 heading to Blacksburg.  You will go bypass Blacksburg and go another 2-3 miles or so.  As you come down the first mountain take a Right onto Craig Creek Road.  Take the first Left and follow this road to the range parking lot.

Here is the topo location map for the range.
www.topozone.com/map.asp?z=17&n=4126886&e=547834&s=50&size=l&datum=nad83&layer=DRG25

For those of y'all with GPS the UTM's are :UTM 17 547834E 4126886N
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 3:35:45 AM EDT
[#7]
What time?  I might be able to make it depending on when the Fiance decides to head home.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 3:48:37 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
What time?  I might be able to make it depending on when the Fiance decides to head home.

unkempt1 and I are going to try to get there around noon.  Would that work for you?
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 5:24:32 AM EDT
[#9]
It depends on her.  I want to get her shooting as she has not done it yet.  If she decides to head home early this weekend I might make it.  If she decides to hang around, I will offer to take her shooting.

If you see a bald headed guy with starlight cases, it might be me.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 5:29:19 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
It depends on her.  I want to get her shooting as she has not done it yet.  If she decides to head home early this weekend I might make it.  If she decides to hang around, I will offer to take her shooting.

If you see a bald headed guy with starlight cases, it might be me.

Bring her along.  The more the marrier.  I might even convence my gf to some.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 11:18:52 PM EDT
[#11]
That range is one of the things I miss the most about Tech.  I need to make a trip down.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 12:20:14 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

3 hours West?

Puts you near the Ohio river.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 1:26:13 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

3 hours West?

West of what?  Drive three hours west of Blacksburg and you'll still be in VA.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 4:20:35 AM EDT
[#14]
How far is the range from Bristol?  I'm spending the night on Bristol on Saturday, and I have to be in Vienna by Sunday evening.  This might make for a nice stop along the way...
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 4:38:48 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

3 hours West?

no way. in 3-3.5  hours I can be in manassas from here.

even Bristol isn't that far away from Blacksburg is it? (3 hours that is)
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:05:53 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
How far is the range from Bristol?  I'm spending the night on Bristol on Saturday, and I have to be in Vienna by Sunday evening.  This might make for a nice stop along the way...

Two hours and 15 minutes +/-  The range is at most a 20 minute drive from I81
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:07:54 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

3 hours West?

no way. in 3-3.5  hours I can be in manassas from here.

even Bristol isn't that far away from Blacksburg is it? (3 hours that is)

Actually the far southwest part of the state is quite large.  From Blacksburg to Norton it is three and a half hours.  If you were going to Jonesboro or Penington Gap it would be 4 hours.

maps.yahoo.com/dd_result?newaddr=&taddr=&csz=Norton%2C+VA&country=us&tcsz=24060&tcountry=us
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:57:01 AM EDT
[#18]
looking at the map, I'd have never thought the point of Va was as far away as NOVA.

thanks  for the info.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 3:32:14 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Jonesboro

Jonesville.  Jonesboro is in Arkansas.  Jonesborough  is in Tennessee.

To drive from Blacksburg to the tip of VA (Ewing, VA / Middlesboro, KY) will take you about 4.5 hours via 81 and 58.

I'm closer to the capitals of KY, WV, and TN than I am Richmond.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 4:23:54 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

3 hours West?

My GPS must be off since I added 3 hours west and it posted Hazzard Kentucky, you do mean Blacksburg off of I-81 or I am mistaken.

Google map

Just kidding by the way
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 4:24:16 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Jonesboro

Jonesville.  Jonesboro is in Arkansas.  Jonesborough  is in Tennessee.

To drive from Blacksburg to the tip of VA (Ewing, VA / Middlesboro, KY) will take you about 4.5 hours via 81 and 58.

I'm closer to the capitals of KY, WV, and TN than I am Richmond.

Shit I ment Jonesville
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 4:28:13 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

3 hours West?

My GPS must be off since I added 3 hours west and it posted Hazzard Kentucky, you do mean Blacksburg off of I-81 or I am mistaken.

Google map

Just kidding by the way

Speaking of Hazzard Kentucky, I had to stay there for 2 months Jan-Feb and I was so glad to be back into Virginia.  Nasty place, not one of the better areas of the Bluegrass state.

The reason it takes 3 and a half hours to get to where Burley lives is because there isn't a good way to get there from B'burg.  You either have to take 460 and drive north, south, then west or drive south down 81 and go northwest for another hour and a half.  To many mountains for a direct route.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 8:11:46 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you guys will be there around noon, then I'll try to stop by on my way from Bristol to Vienna on Sunday.  Can someone please post directions off I-81?  Thanks!

Oh, and what are we allowed to shoot there?
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 3:50:36 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you guys will be there around noon, then I'll try to stop by on my way from Bristol to Vienna on Sunday.  Can someone please post directions off I-81?  Thanks!

Oh, and what are we allowed to shoot there?

hrt4me here are the directions:

From I81 you will take the exit 118ABC off ramp.  The interstate is kinda funky there- it branches off so there are 3 exits are on the same ramp that is about 2 miles long.  Once you get on the exit ramp take exit "C" This should be the US 460 West to Blacksburg exit.  You will stay on 460 most of the way. Around 12-13 miles you will start going up a mountain, when you come down the other side of it (14-15 miles) you will take a right at the bottom of the mountain.  This will be Craig Creek Road.  The entrance to the range will be your next left (less than .2 of a mile).  It is narrow paved road that will take you directly to the parking lot.

As far as I know there are no restrictions on what type of guns can be shot.

Look forward to meeting you.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 3:59:29 AM EDT
[#25]
Thanks for the directions.  One last question: what are the range fees?
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 4:31:32 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

"Donation" only.  I usually stuff 2 dollars into the collection box.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 3:19:00 PM EDT
[#27]
OK, last questions, I promise....

1) what kind of targets do people bring, paper, cardboard, etc.?

2) will anyone be there before noon?

3) how will I recognize you guys?

I'll be driving a maroon Chyrsler Concorde with Texas plates.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 4:56:40 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
OK, last questions, I promise....

1) what kind of targets do people bring, paper, cardboard, etc.?

2) will anyone be there before noon?

3) how will I recognize you guys?

I'll be driving a maroon Chyrsler Concorde with Texas plates.

1} I have a few siloette (SP) targets, not sure how many. but should be enough to have some fun.

2} not sure, Might try to get there to set up around 11:30, I doubt it'll be much earlier

3} I'll be driving a bright yellow truck. can't miss me LOL
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 3:34:36 AM EDT
[#29]
I will be driving a silver tacoma.

I am going to bring empty paint cans and some card board boxes and possibly some clay pidgeons to set up in the back of the range as rifle targets.  I wish I had some tannerite.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 8:29:09 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

I am going to bring empty paint cans and some card board boxes and possibly some clay pidgeons to set up in the back of the range as rifle targets.  I wish I had some tannerite.

you don't happen to own a glock 26 do you VT?
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 8:34:01 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, I am a Sig fan myself.  I have a Sig 229, which should be roughly the same size of your G19.  I will give you a few tips on how to keep that sucker out of sight.

I have been to Minuteman419's house many times and he can never tell that I am packing, even when I was carrying the bulky Ruger P94.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 8:41:03 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, I am a Sig fan myself.  I have a Sig 229, which should be roughly the same size of your G19.  I will give you a few tips on how to keep that sucker out of sight.

I have been to Minuteman419's house many times and he can never tell that I am packing, even when I was carrying the bulky Ruger P94.

Appreciate the help on CC, with my old BHP (worst sale I ever made) I could simply hide it, hell even with no holster for that matter. I'm having a hell of a time with this G19 poking out on me.

anywhere close by that has a large selection of handguns I could fondle til I find what fits the hand as well as my ( just a want I'd guess) for a smaller framed 9MM/.45 handgun?

Link Posted: 9/16/2005 8:56:31 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Appreciate the help on CC, with my old BHP (worst sale I ever made) I could simply hide it, hell even with no holster for that matter. I'm having a hell of a time with this G19 poking out on me.

anywhere close by that has a large selection of handguns I could fondle til I find what fits the hand as well as my ( just a want I'd guess) for a smaller framed 9MM/.45 handgun?

The Custom Gunshop has quite a few handguns, though the owner is an ass.

BTW The problem you are having with the G19, is it because the grip is sticking out and beyond your back?  Depending on you holster, you can adjust the angle at which the gun is secured.  I keep my Sig canted forward with the grip sticking up at a 45-50% angle rthe feel is natural rather than straight back.  It is really comfortable and when I go to grab it, I have found the gun to be in a natural position for me to grab it in a hurry.
Edited for typo's
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 9:08:35 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

BTW The problem you are having with the G19, is it because the grip is sticking out and beyond your back?  Depending on you holster, you can adjust the angle at which the gun is secured.  I keep my Sig canted forward with the grip sticking up at a 45-50% angle rthe feel is natural rather than straight back.  It is really comfortable and when I go to grab it, I have found the gun to be in a natural position for me to grab it in a hurry.
Edited for typo's

yeah, I can't get the angle right, I have a fist #1 that has no cant, the belt slide  (can't recall tha maker) seems to do well, it holds it closer to me and of course isn't as limited in where it is set like the IWB fist.

I suppose I could go back to the BHP, at least I know it fits and how to carry it W/out being obvious. My single action thumb is weak now that I'm getting older, not so easy to work that hammer back anymore LOL. I guess i could blame that on video game thumb

thanks for the help VT, much appreciated.  

ETA: Where is the custom gunshop?
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 9:24:28 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Edited for typo's

yeah, I can't get the angle right, I have a fist #1 that has no cant, the belt slide  (can't recall tha maker) seems to do well, it holds it closer to me and of course isn't as limited in where it is set like the IWB fist.

I suppose I could go back to the BHP, at least I know it fits and how to carry it W/out being obvious. My single action thumb is weak now that I'm getting older, not so easy to work that hammer back anymore LOL. I guess i could blame that on video game thumb

thanks for the help VT, much appreciated.  

ETA: Where is the custom gunshop?

Well it is easy to find if you know where the Montgomery Co Courthouse is.  If you are headed to the CH from Blacksburg you will go 460 Bus down past C'burg High School ect.  Once you pass the CH you will be on South Franklin St.  The gun shop will be about 1.5 miles on the right.  The address is  1865 S. Franklin St.  If you go there, look for an uncle mikes IWB holster, that is what I have.  I think your problem is having a good CCW holster and not the gun.  Though nothing wrong with buying more guns.  I will probably drop by there sometime today to pick up a case of Wolf ammo.  
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 10:35:14 AM EDT
[#36]
cool, thank you for the directions. I won't be able to get over there today though. although I really could use some more 9MM. missing a case someplace here LOL

what time are you headed over, if I haven't already missed you?

ETA: Look at the time stamp stupid
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 6:55:57 PM EDT
[#37]
VTHOKIE,
do you happen to know if they have  set ups for targets, or do I need to bring something to hold them up too?

I have full torso sized paper targets and T shirts.

let me know, If they don't I'll have to figure out something in the AM.

thanks again
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 12:23:50 PM EDT
[#38]
unkemp1, hrt4me;

Enjoyed meet you guys.  We need to do it again.  hurt4me have a safe trip!

Now it is time to do some gun cleaning.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 12:28:09 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
unkemp1, hrt4me;

Enjoyed meet you guys.  We need to do it again.  hurt4me have a safe trip!

Now it is time to do some gun cleaning.

had a hell of a lot of fun, maybe we can shoot for a weekday next trip. it got quite busy up there LOL

Nice to meet you as well VThokieshooter and hrt4me (same trip as well Hrt)

Link Posted: 9/18/2005 5:53:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Nice to meet you guys too, nice little range you have there.  Unkempt1, I'm definitely interested in that Marlin Model 989 M2 .22LR if you ever decide to sell it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 6:50:22 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Nice to meet you guys too, nice little range you have there.  Unkempt1, I'm definitely interested in that Marlin Model 989 M2 .22LR if you ever decide to sell it.

Im sent
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 6:51:29 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have to go back up tomorrow, I forgot to do this on the way out.

thanks again VT, had a great time killing rocks and paper

ETA. I forgot my target clips too. D'oh! I wonder if they will still be there?
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 2:54:55 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have to go back up tomorrow, I forgot to do this on the way out.

thanks again VT, had a great time killing rocks and paper

ETA. I forgot my target clips too. D'oh! I wonder if they will still be there?

I dunno, 50/50 chance that they are gone.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 3:45:01 AM EDT
[#44]
I really wish that I could have made it.  After a bit of an arguement with the Fiance, she helped me  decide that training for her would wait til another day.  Why are women like this?
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:10:25 AM EDT
[#45]
even if they are gone, gotta give the range something back.

USNDOC, we'll getcha up there .

Why are women like this?

most of them can't help it, but god forbid you try that on them. LMAO
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 1:32:25 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
I really wish that I could have made it.  After a bit of an arguement with the Fiance, she helped me  decide that training for her would wait til another day.  Why are women like this?

She would have felt right at home if she came there were quite a few ladies at the range.  A few of them while easy on the eyes, made me feel unnerved.  They were sweeping the firing line with their handguns.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 4:45:09 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

She would have felt right at home if she came there were quite a few ladies at the range.  A few of them while easy on the eyes, made me feel unnerved.  They were sweeping the firing line with their handguns.

I didn't really notice them sweeping us, (maybe a good thing )but they were quite cute
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top