Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2005 9:27:35 AM EDT
Hi all,

I'm having some problems with the M1 I received from CMP. I will not chamber the next round in the clip when firing it. It will extract the spent shell but not pick up the next. It looks like the bolt is not going back far enough when firing it. So to chamber the next round you have to pull the bolt all the way back and let it go to do so. Does anyone know what might be going on? Oh yeah, I was shooting ball ammo.

I do know some good gun smiths in the area but I don't want to leave it with them becasue it takes forever to get my guns back from them.

Thanks for your help.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 11:21:08 AM EDT
[#1]
I would start with simple things such as:

1) Clean the gas system - it sounds as if maybe the gas port is a bit clogged
2) Replace the Op-Rod spring - Doubtful that this is the cause but a new one can't hurt
3) Grease the bolt pay particular attention to the lugs and receiver recess areas
4) Sell the Garand to me

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 1:13:21 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I would start with simple things such as:

1) Clean the gas system - it sounds as if maybe the gas port is a bit clogged
2) Replace the Op-Rod spring - Doubtful that this is the cause but a new one can't hurt
3) Grease the bolt pay particular attention to the lugs and receiver recess areas
4) Sell the Garand to me

Thanks

It's short-stroking.  I second steps 1-3.  Not 4 .  It's most likely the op rod spring.  It's probably a good idea to change both that and the clip latch spring as they lead to most issues and are most likely 50+ years old.  It could be the op rod is out of spec, but start with the cheap springs first.

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 5:03:39 PM EDT
[#3]

Make certain the gas plug is tight...
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 6:25:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 6:51:20 AM EDT
[#5]
If worse comes to worse, take the rifle to the gunshow at Showplace ( Richmond, VA ) next month and see if Gus Fisher is there ( Gus' Garands ).  Fisher is a retired Marine armorer who is familiar with the M1 and he inspects and gauges rifles at the show for a small fee ( ~$25 IIRC )...
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 2:13:24 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
If worse comes to worse, take the rifle to the gunshow at Showplace ( Richmond, VA ) next month and see if Gus Fisher is there ( Gus' Garands ).  Fisher is a retired Marine armorer who is familiar with the M1 and he inspects and gauges rifles at the show for a small fee ( ~$25 IIRC )...

He'll also swap out minor parts for a better fit.  Least ways he did with my M-1.  Great guy and definitely worth the $25 bucks it'll cost you!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top