Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/28/2004 5:40:47 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 5:51:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I looked into smoke grenades a while back and wasn't very happy with anything I found. Hazmat shipping fees are a bitch, and it's really hard to judge a grenade by the amount of smoke it puts out. Weather conditions change smoke performance so much that I'd rather have many smokes than few, regardless of how much smoke they put out.

The best deal I've seen is what Jason_in_Va (aka 556ammo) puts out. He's got the army smoke grenades, but he also has two types of maritime smoke grenades. The only real downside to them is you can only get orange smoke. The upsides are great though. They come in 2 minute and 4 minute burning versions (the 4 minute versions are kinda bulky), there are no sparks (cold burning = less chance of starting a fire in the woods), they're self-igniting (via a pull string), and the best part: they're 10 bucks apiece. I've got 5 of the 4 minute versions sitting in an ammo can at home right now, next to two M-18's.  

Not trying to rain on your parade, just presenting an alternative.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 3:32:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 4:09:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Whats the benefit here that I cant get with potasium nitrate and sugar?  Are CS, CN or any other tear agents available?  Just curious.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 5:22:32 AM EDT
[#4]
These are the same as M18's, pull pin 3 second delay. ALS is now one of the largest military and LE suppliers of smokes. Look long and hard you'll find that even if you can find someone who will sell them to you they will not even be close to $30.

Some people like to be able to have the same equipment that Law enforcement and Military have available to them, some don't care. But don't fool yourself that marine safety can smokes are the same as High output screening smokes that are designed to fill a 1500 sq. ft. house or fill a street corner in 30 seconds.  

CS is available but if you are knowledgeable and resourceful enough to manufacture smoke and smoke grenades you should be able to duplicate the effects of CS smoke with ease.

BTW will have green, yellow, violet, white, and red in a few months

http://www.ozarkmtns.com/less-lethal/products/white-smoke-grenage1-ALSG972.htm
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 7:14:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Sounds interesting...

What needs to be done to store these safely?
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:00:16 AM EDT
[#6]
I've been meaning to get some of these for John for a while, but for some odd reason I'm always short on fun money every time I see him (usually because I'm picking something up ).  I could do 4 to 6.  

I saw the orange one and one of John's white ones at the Spring BRD.  The orange lasted a while, but didn't put out very much smoke.  The white one put out a lot more smoke in a short period of time, which would seem more useful.  Admittedly, it was a windy day and the quick dispersement/large area in that environment showed they were better suited for less windy/spacious environments.  

Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:21:43 AM EDT
[#7]
I am very much in the market for a few or more cans of smoke. Good to have on hand just in case and fun to toss one or two one the fourth of July.

Let me know and I would be in on a group buy.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 11:37:36 AM EDT
[#8]
I was saving up my 100th post for something cool I think this fits. Are these pretty close to the Mil. HC white smokes? A buddy had one and we covered my parents 5 bedroom two story house with a heavy white thick smoke. Enough the FD rolled out thinking the whole woods were on fire. Amazing the shit you do when your a little dummer about situations. But to say if they are pretty close to the HC ones I am in for this buy well maybe a few and I will round up a few guys to go in on this too.

VA-Spook
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 2:10:51 PM EDT
[#9]
do you have to get any special permits or fill out any paper work to get these things?
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 2:27:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 4:08:55 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
But don't fool yourself that marine safety can smokes are the same as High output screening smokes that are designed to fill a 1500 sq. ft. house or fill a street corner in 30 seconds.

Well taken, excellent point. Different tools for different purposes.

That having been said, I'd get some of these.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 4:55:31 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I've been meaning to get some of these for John for a while, but for some odd reason I'm always short on fun money every time I see him (usually because I'm picking something up ).  I could do 4 to 6.  

I saw the orange one and one of John's white ones at the Spring BRD.  The orange lasted a while, but didn't put out very much smoke.  The white one put out a lot more smoke in a short period of time, which would seem more useful.  Admittedly, it was a windy day and the quick dispersement/large area in that environment showed they were better suited for less windy/spacious environments.  

John at the spring MG shoot gave me one to throw.  It was nifty like a real grenade.  It did put out quite a bit of smoke and this was the smaller version.  I was shocked on the cost, but then again I never put much thought into how much one costs.    I might be interested in a few.  What is the shelf life on these?  Do they expire?  Do they put out smoke if you shoot them.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 3:15:22 AM EDT
[#13]
I would be interested in 2 or 3
Thanks for the oportunity
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 4:57:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Did I mention I love Virginia? I hope you'll let a Texan in on this. In my first post I did not notice this was in your hometown forum.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 8:37:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top