Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2003 4:23:28 AM EDT
Hey guys,
If any of you have a 239 or a Kahr that you can lend me for a shooting session or 2 at the NRA range, i would appreciate it.
I am helping my wife decide what handgun to carry/shoot. She is no newbie in firearms (carried many years ago and is up to speed on all RKBA stuff) but she has had a rough several years with her MS. Lately she has started to come with me to shoot again, albeit gingerly. Her grip is not strong anymore hence my search for a smaller grip handgun. The mini-glocks are too big, grip wise. I may end up with a snubbie but those lightweights beat up the hands too.
At the end of the day, even a 22 airweight is better than nothing. We may even opt for that.
We where able to try the Walther p22 from a friend, it was sweet but did have a few hiccups.
I know i can prolly rent these at Blueridge, but i have a family plan at the NRA range and being cheap, i'll try you guys first.
Thanks, DD
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 10:46:54 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a 239 in 9mm
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 12:07:52 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I have a 239 in 9mm

Thanks Angst..
I will get in touch next time we go. Which may actually be this coming tuesday or wednesday night.
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 4:10:07 PM EDT
[#3]
My wife and I have a MK9 and a PM9.  The PM9 should be coming back from Kahr soon (they had to replace the slide that they bent when they installed the night sights).  We could meet you at the NRA range next weekend so you could try both if we receive the PM9 back by then, the PM9 does have a lot more muzzle flip since its a lot lighter than the MK9.  You might also want to look at a Beretta 92 Compact type M (which is a single stack).  Or a Glock 36 (we have a Glock 36).  We have a 4" GP100 you could try too.  

The only thing with these two Kahr pistols is that they are very hard to chamber a round if you have weak hands. Each has a dual recoil spring.    My wife can barely pull the slide and lock it to the rear.  
Link Posted: 8/30/2003 3:16:37 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
My wife and I have a MK9 and a PM9.  The PM9 should be coming back from Kahr soon (they had to replace the slide that they bent when they installed the night sights).  We could meet you at the NRA range next weekend so you could try both if we receive the PM9 back by then, the PM9 does have a lot more muzzle flip since its a lot lighter than the MK9.  You might also want to look at a Beretta 92 Compact type M (which is a single stack).  Or a Glock 36 (we have a Glock 36).  We have a 4" GP100 you could try too.  

The only thing with these two Kahr pistols is that they are very hard to chamber a round if you have weak hands. Each has a dual recoil spring.    My wife can barely pull the slide and lock it to the rear.  

Thanks for the offers. I will certainly take you up on it. first off, re schedule, she will be in Miami that weekend, but we will just plan to be at the NRA next time you guys are if you would let me know.
Not up to speed on the Kahr disignations but i assume that the PM9 is smaller than the MK9. The slide lock/cocking is an issue already with her on my G-19 so maybe this will just confirm for us that a snubbie is the way to go. I do have a 36 myself and yeah grip wise it's ok, its the recoil and the cocking of the slide that is the problem.
Thanks again. Like i mentioned previously, we plan to be at the range a lot more with the range-family-plan, so just let me know about the other times you'll be there and well make it.
DD
Link Posted: 8/30/2003 12:27:00 PM EDT
[#5]
I'll IM or email you when we go again, we have a family membership too.

The PM9 and MK9 are the same size but the PM9 has a polymer frame vs. the stainless frame of the MK9.  Both use the same mags and have a 3" barrel.  I would also look at a 3" Ruger SP101 .357 Mag that way you could use .38 Special in it too.
Link Posted: 8/31/2003 9:58:42 AM EDT
[#6]
I am 95% sure I am going this wednesday to NRA
Link Posted: 9/1/2003 7:08:40 AM EDT
[#7]
devotedad,

If your wife is having problems with grip or hand strength, then perhaps the best solution would be a steel snubbie in .38+P, like the Taurus 85.  It is proted and will have a decent amount of weight to tame the recoil.  You can also buy some Wolff springs to lighten up the trigger pull to suit her needs.  Just be careful not to make it too light...

On the issue of hard trigger pulls and stiff slide springs for the Kahr, you can buy lighter springs from Wolff that ease those difficulties somewhat.

Link Posted: 9/2/2003 4:20:13 AM EDT
[#8]
man, i hate my aohell dial-up at home, no arfcom the whole long weekend for some reason or another. And i am supposed to live in the internet capital of the world but there is not enough bandwidth in my development!!- there i feel better

Socomcen -  thanks for your offer again.

Angst - i'll find out tonight if we can make it to the range tomorrow

RichinCM - Welcome to VA re your other thread. A wheel gun just maybe what i'll end up with. Simple, no "complicated" failure drills that require slide manipulation - heck, my wife has problems thumbing in rounds unless it was a 1911 type mag. Also, limp wristing issues will be avoided. We have not given up on the sig on the Kahr though untill we've tried it.

Thanks again ya'll. DD
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top