Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/27/2021 11:34:20 AM EDT
Does anyone know where I can find a local farmer that sells direct?  Located near Plainfield, don't mind taking a drive to find something good
Link Posted: 6/27/2021 12:09:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Not sure if it’s exactly what your looking for but check
Dave’s meat market in Yorkville.
Link Posted: 6/27/2021 12:13:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not sure if it’s exactly what your looking for but check
Dave’s meat market in Yorkville.
View Quote

A few years ago my brother and I split a whole cow that was purchased directly from and butchered by a local farmer. I have reached out to my brother to ask if he still has contact with the farmer, have not heard back yet
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 8:43:37 AM EDT
[#3]
@garbageman

Check PM. Not a direct solution but maybe a backup.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 8:19:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Does anyone know where I can find a local farmer that sells direct?  Located near Plainfield, don't mind taking a drive to find something good
View Quote

I’ll ask around when we are down at the other house this weekend.

I asked a neighbor a similar question for myself a couple months ago and was told when I was ready to let him know.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 8:23:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I asked a neighbor a similar question for myself a couple months ago and was told when I was ready to let him know.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 8:20:38 PM EDT
[#6]
So.......
Met a guy who raises cattle specifically for what your requesting.
He came highly recommended.

He told me he’s 8-10 months out!!
Can’t find anyone to butcher right now that doesn’t have a waiting list.

He said I might have luck calling a few butchers and they’d probably have something hanging right now. He wasn’t sure how much $$ or good it may be.

If you can find anything down 57 between Chicago and Marion I’d be glad to pick it up for you on our way home.
May even be interested in buying a portion for our own freezer if half a cow is too much for you.
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 9:11:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the update.   I wouldn't mind putting my name on a waiting list

There are five of us in the house so we will use the entire 1/2 ;)
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 9:21:59 PM EDT
[#8]
https://hasselmannfarm.com/

I have bought a half hog, quarter beef, and a few other odds and ends from these folks. I have been really happy with the meat and they are great to deal with.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 11:13:41 AM EDT
[#9]
I know a farmer that does specialty pasture raised grass fed and finished.  He uses Lena Maid Meats for his processing, so that might be a good contact point:

https://ajslenamaidmeats.net/

Another thought would be the local 4H, or FFA clubs.  Lot of times they have kids that raise a cow for the county fairs during the summer and then sell them off after they fatten them up.

Processing seems to the the bottleneck.  Only a couple USDA certified processors left in IL AFAIK.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 11:15:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Thank you for the suggestions, I will reach out to them
Link Posted: 8/10/2021 9:45:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Buying the animal is no problem, it's the processing that's booked a year out.
Link Posted: 8/12/2021 11:23:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Buying the animal is no problem, it's the processing that's booked a year out.
View Quote

This is exactly true.

Just had a half processed. Had to drive 1:45 to pick it up. Hope they did a good job.
Link Posted: 8/23/2021 4:54:19 PM EDT
[#13]
We are going in with family.  Get it in January.  I will have to find out where again…..probably somewhere near Coal City.
Link Posted: 8/23/2021 5:01:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
We are going in with family.  Get it in January.  I will have to find out where again…..probably somewhere near Coal City.
View Quote

@panthermark Let me know the details once you know them. Thank you
Link Posted: 8/23/2021 8:53:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

@garbageman
So the story is my wife’s sister’s husband knows someone at work that can get a cow kinda deal. My wife didn’t know much more about where the cow comes from.  They then have it processed at Chenoa Locker.
http://www.chenoalocker.com/Home
Link Posted: 8/23/2021 10:21:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

@garbageman
So the story is my wife’s sister’s husband knows someone at work that can get a cow kinda deal. My wife didn’t know much more about where the cow comes from.  They then have it processed at Chenoa Locker.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@garbageman

Ah.  The last cow we got was a grass fed free range from a farmer my brother had contacts with.
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 9:17:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Username checks out.
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 8:54:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Username checks out.
View Quote
Go eat a salad .
Link Posted: 11/25/2021 2:43:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Just a little update on this thread for those interested.  I got a 1/4 cow from a friend, and they sent it to AJ Lena Maid in Lena, IL.  When I was there I asked about current pricing to make sure that I was giving my friend a fair price.

The 1/4 was about $1/lb for processing, and I was told $2.47/lb hanging weight was the current meat price.  I spent around $525 for my 1/4 all in, and I believe the hanging weight for the 1/4 was 153#.

And it's way more beef than I can eat in a year as a single person, but it sure is nice to have some put back in case things get crazy.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 9:17:41 PM EDT
[#20]
I called in our cut sheet yesterday.  2 weeks from now the deep freezer will be loaded with a half cow.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 9:21:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I called in our cut sheet yesterday.  2 weeks from now the deep freezer will be loaded with a half cow.
View Quote

From where?

@panthermark
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 9:23:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

From where?

@panthermark
View Quote

@garbageman
Chenoa  Locker
Link Posted: 1/26/2022 9:31:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Derks Beef farm is good to go.  they're in West central Wisconsin but they do ship

https://www.facebook.com/pages/category/Meat-Wholesaler/Derks-Farms-Beef-101333098120935/
Link Posted: 2/1/2022 4:58:32 PM EDT
[#24]
We ended up ordering a 40# front shoulder package, 5lbs of bacon, 5 soup bones and 5 top flank steaks from Chenoa.  They offer a 2% cash discount which is nice of them.  They are probably saving a point and the customer saves a couple.

Woman said it would be ready in about 3-4 weeks.
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 9:37:00 PM EDT
[#25]
It is nice have having a couple hundred pounds of fresh ground beef, steaks and roast in the freezer.
Link Posted: 3/7/2022 1:48:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Update....something I didn't really think about.

On the cut sheet, I selected to grind the arm roast, brisket, and 1/2 of the rump.   (I grinded the brisket because I don't have a smoker and didn't want to screw it up).

The wife went to make some sloppy joes, and she said there was almost zero grease in the pan.  
One thing to keep in mind for next year is to maybe ask for some fat to be dumped into the grind.  The meat is good, but super lean.   When I make burgers, I will have to add a big spoonful of mayo to the mixture.

We have 87 pounds of ground beef, so maybe some packages have more fat that others.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top