Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/14/2018 8:24:21 PM EDT
A friend of mine has his foid and ccw.  His foid expired last month so he went on line to renew.  Today he received a letter from the ISP:

The intent of this correspondence is to notify you that pursuant to 430 ILCS 66/25(2) your ccw has been revoked for one or more of the following reason as specified in IL CCW

Act (430 ILCS 66/10)

The ISP has determined that you are no longer eligible to possess a foid card.  A letter concerning your foid revocation will be forthcoming.  You are responsible to surrender

your foid card and weapons under your possession.

You may appeal within 60 days.

If you do not surrender your ccw to the court or to the leo with jurisdiction, you must surrender your license within 48 hours to the local leo where you reside.  Failure to

surrender your license may result in the issuance of a warrant for your arrest.

He is not in trouble for anything, never been arrested, not under investigation for anything.  The revocation verbiage is disturbing.

Is all of this because his foid expired?  If so I would think the letter would say, "Since your foid has expired your ccw is suspended.  Surrender all firearms"

Update #1:  He spent all day calling the ISP and could not talk to a human nor leave a voicemail as the system was full.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 9:56:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like the FOID letter will have more info.

Maybe @SwanHunter can chime in. IllinoisCarry would be a good place to check, but he's very much part of that!
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 10:11:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Per ispfsb.com a FOID is required for a CCL.

His FOID expired, right?

Is this actually in need of explanation??
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 11:14:15 PM EDT
[#3]
He waited too long to renew, please keep us updated but I believe that might be the reason.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 11:15:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Also I think you’re gtg after expiration if you renew before it expires, then you’re in a grace period.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 11:59:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Also I think you’re gtg after expiration if you renew before it expires, then you’re in a grace period.
View Quote
yes, but if it expires first, you will probably need to do a ccl appeal once the foid is renewed.  The hassle will be great.   The key is dont let your cards expire.

Ive seen a thread on what to do if FOID expires but if I cant find it, SwanHunter should be able to point in right direction.

As for wording of the letter, the ISP IT/QA team has been pretty sloppy regarding wording, spelling and grammar in letters before (sad and non professional)

edit:
Student let his FOID card expire
http://illinoiscarry.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=69706

Revoked CCL due to FOID expired
http://illinoiscarry.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=70200
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 12:35:57 AM EDT
[#6]
He needs to apply for a new FOID immediately.  Once his FOID is reinstated, he will need to file an appeal to get his CCL reinstated.  The ability of ISP to temporarily 'suspend' the CCL does not go into effect until Jan. 1. 2019.  Therefore, no active FOID causes revocation of CCL for now.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 1:57:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

His FOID expired, right?

View Quote
I understand a foid is needed for the ccl but the letter stated his foid has been revoked, not his ccl.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 10:13:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I understand a foid is needed for the ccl but the letter stated his foid has been revoked, not his ccl.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

His FOID expired, right?

Ah. Regarding FOID, here is some info that may help.

FWIW, I had one of my FOID renewals denied due to my domestic violence conviction in MI ... for a different guy with a differently spelled last name and no middle name. So thankfully, the FOID background check isn't for anything that really matters.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 10:15:28 PM EDT
[#9]
"The ISP has determined that you are no longer eligible to possess a foid card. A letter concerning your foid revocation will be forthcoming. You are responsible to surrender".  This statement would indicate there is a record of an event that would disqualify your friend from having a FOID.  The FOID revocation letter should spell out the reason for the revocation.

If it is a question of having the same name as someone who was held in a mental health institution for treatment in the past 5 years or was convicted of a disqualifying criminal offense, he should be able to get this worked out himself.  If it was in fact your friend, he should consult an attorney to learn whether or not a judge can issue a court order granting him relief and get his FOID reinstated.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 9:44:06 AM EDT
[#10]
The intent of this correspondence is to notify you that pursuant to 430 ILCS 66/25(2) your ccw has been revoked for one or more of the following reason as specified in IL CCW

Act (430 ILCS 66/10)

The ISP has determined that you are no longer eligible to possess a foid card. A letter concerning your foid revocation will be forthcoming.
View Quote
We suspect that this letter is an example of the ISP using wrongly worded communication...We would like to see the ISP letter of explanation that should be following so we can bring it up with ISP and maybe get it better worded going forward.

thanks
Mike
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 12:13:49 PM EDT
[#11]
An old guy I sold guns to got this same letter. When he got ahold of someone they said that his CCL instructor was invalid so his ccl is no longer valid. But they also want his FOID for some reason? He by the way is 72 has no record, but just suffered a stroke. I can't imagine they could revoke your FOID for that?
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 1:17:47 PM EDT
[#12]
We have a local instructor who had her FCCL instructor credentials revoked and in turn her students had their FCCL's revoked.

None of the students had their FOID revoked.  They were instructed to find a legitimate instructor and take the FCCL course again, so their licenses could be reinstated.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 2:41:56 PM EDT
[#13]
But they also want his FOID for some reason? He by the way is 72 has no record, but just suffered a stroke. I can't imagine they could revoke your FOID for that?
View Quote
You are right...they can't...there is usually more to the story.  However, sometimes the rest of the story is that ISP screwed up.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 2:44:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
We have a local instructor who had her FCCL instructor credentials revoked and in turn her students had their FCCL's revoked.

None of the students had their FOID revoked.  They were instructed to find a legitimate instructor and take the FCCL course again, so their licenses could be reinstated.
View Quote
Any idea if this also applies to not renewing? For example, if my instructor (i.e. John Wick) decides to stop teaching in 10 years and does not renew his license, would I receive a letter that my CCL is invalid? Furthermore, would I be at risk for carrying for the past 10 yrs since John is no longer valid?
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 11:16:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
But they also want his FOID for some reason? He by the way is 72 has no record, but just suffered a stroke. I can't imagine they could revoke your FOID for that?

You are right...they can't...there is usually more to the story.  However, sometimes the rest of the story is that ISP screwed up.
View Quote
I've helped a few people get their FOID reinstated after it was canceled or revoked.  More often than not I've heard stories from  people about how their FOID was revoked without cause, then later learned a few very significant facts were left out of the story.

A person's FOID was revoked solely because they had a stroke?  I seriously doubt it.  Someone who knew the person who had the stroke contacted the ISP and provided enough information about a disqualifying event to justify the revocation.  Having a stroke without any other factors would not justify revocation.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 1:02:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I've helped a few people get their FOID reinstated after it was canceled or revoked.  More often than not I've heard stories from  people about how their FOID was revoked without cause, then later learned a few very significant facts were left out of the story.

A person's FOID was revoked solely because they had a stroke?  I seriously doubt it.  Someone who knew the person who had the stroke contacted the ISP and provided enough information about a disqualifying event to justify the revocation.  Having a stroke without any other factors would not justify revocation.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am only reporting what he told me.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 1:33:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Any idea if this also applies to not renewing? For example, if my instructor (i.e. John Wick) decides to stop teaching in 10 years and does not renew his license, would I receive a letter that my CCL is invalid? Furthermore, would I be at risk for carrying for the past 10 yrs since John is no longer valid?
View Quote
If he was valid at the time your cert was issued I believe you are OK.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 3:45:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I am only reporting what he told me.
View Quote
Roger that.  I would be interested in knowing specifically what it states in his FOID revocation letter.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top