Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/2/2012 12:04:01 PM EDT
Starting the first of the New Year,you guys have got to buckle up every person riding in a car. Im not saying its a bad law ,but just more Horse Shit from the goverement. So how much are they going to collect from you guys with this new tax? NY is not any better a law for every fart and fiddle.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 1:11:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Not too worried about it.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 3:43:57 PM EDT
[#2]
It is stupid.  Ironically, not wearing a seatbelt, has never caused an accident, and I would think the legislators would be more concerned about what actually causes accidents in the first place.
I don't know if the new law says that the lack of backseat seatbelting will allow a stop just for that, but I wouldn't doubt it.
The front seat belt law, was changed to a primary offense here a few years ago,  to basically let leo sniff your car and ask questions, (the modern "broken taillight" stop), and for local communities to gain revenue.  Honestly, I think the average police officer is more concerned with violent criminals and unsafe driving than seatbelts, but I don't think the IL state legislators even talk to anyone in law enforcement.
Back seat passengers in limos and taxis are apparently exempt.  If this was about safety, the law wouldn't have been written that way.
More stupidity in Springfield.  Instead of addressing real issues, they do this type of stuff.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 10:45:23 AM EDT
[#3]
dont forget that most of the time its an easy way for the city/village to make a quick buck. they see you driving with no seat belt and bam $50 municiaple ticket. I HATE THAT!! To protect me my ass. why are motorcyclists in IL not required to wear a helmet then. just a bunch of burocratic BS.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 12:36:55 PM EDT
[#4]
just remember driving is a privilege not a right. and also it 99% of the time its not YOUR driving you have to worry about. its the moron who runs into you that you have no control over.. and after seeing bodys thrown from cars... i've always worn mine.  and no one rides in my car without one front or rear seat.  been my policy since i got my licence  at 16. i actually have a tendancy when just sitting in a car just to put it on and not even know i did it.

wanna save $50... just put on the belt..  

not that hard to do, cost nothing and takes little effort.  and will save your life when some dumbass runs into you. , or smack into a big ass deer so you dont eat glass or the steering wheel.

if you have have the opportunity to check out a crash that has an occupant ejection.. that WILL change your mind about wearing one.

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 4:04:30 PM EDT
[#5]
I think it's less about the effectiveness of a seat belt and more about the way for them to make more money by doing nothing, yet making it look like they're doing something for your benefit. This is the same tactic used for the red light cameras, gun laws, tolls, taxes and anything else in Illinois that takes money from your pocket and makes your way of life less convenient. Remember, we're officially #1 in the U.S. for residents moving out of their state and there are more reasons for this happening then one can count.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 7:14:29 PM EDT
[#6]
I guess someone had to say it. So who decides what are rights and what are privileges? I have to have an FOID card in our great state, I can not carry a weapon in public, concealed or otherwise, does that therefore make my 2nd amendment right a privilege? I have to jump through numerous hoops to fly on a plane, is that a priviliege? Unless I am an OWS mob, I have to get a permit to hold a rally/protest, is the right to assemble a privilege? Nothing personal BM1, but I get so sick of hearing this mindless mantra regurgitated because (I guess) it makes the person repeating it feel more wise. I guess we can defer to the legal types amongst us to techically differentiate between a right and a privilege, but when we yeild that much power to government, they never stop there. Andyes,  I have put plenty of people who have been ejected or in motorcycle crashes in body bags, but I still think it should be a personal choice to wear a seat belt or a helmet. I also think if you can't pay your hospital bill after a crash that was your fault, you should be forced to sell everything you have of value to reimburse the other citizens that were forced to pay your hospital bill against their will. But that's me, I'm old-fashioned, I didn't trust the government before I was old enough know what a democrat/republican/liberal/conservative/libertarian was and yet I see so many people so willing to surrender their personal freedoom, for what? My children will never enjoy the freedom I once did.

Quoted:
just remember driving is a privilege not a right. and also it 99% of the time its not YOUR driving you have to worry about. its the moron who runs into you that you have no control over.. and after seeing bodys thrown from cars... i've always worn mine.  and no one rides in my car without one front or rear seat.  been my policy since i got my licence  at 16. i actually have a tendancy when just sitting in a car just to put it on and not even know i did it.

not that hard to do, cost nothing and takes little effort.  and will save your life when some dumbass runs into you. , or smack into a big ass deer so you dont eat glass or the steering wheel.

if you have have the opportunity to check out a crash that has an occupant ejection.. that WILL change your mind about wearing one.

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 9:59:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I guess someone had to say it. So who decides what are rights and what are privileges? I have to have an FOID card in our great state, I can not carry a weapon in public, concealed or otherwise, does that therefore make my 2nd amendment right a privilege? I have to jump through numerous hoops to fly on a plane, is that a priviliege? Unless I am an OWS mob, I have to get a permit to hold a rally/protest, is the right to assemble a privilege? Nothing personal BM1, but I get so sick of hearing this mindless mantra regurgitated because (I guess) it makes the person repeating it feel more wise. I guess we can defer to the legal types amongst us to techically differentiate between a right and a privilege, but when we yeild that much power to government, they never stop there. Andyes,  I have put plenty of people who have been ejected or in motorcycle crashes in body bags, but I still think it should be a personal choice to wear a seat belt or a helmet. I also think if you can't pay your hospital bill after a crash that was your fault, you should be forced to sell everything you have of value to reimburse the other citizens that were forced to pay your hospital bill against their will. But that's me, I'm old-fashioned, I didn't trust the government before I was old enough know what a democrat/republican/liberal/conservative/libertarian was and yet I see so many people so willing to surrender their personal freedoom, for what? My children will never enjoy the freedom I once did.

Quoted:

amen. show me where in the U.S. Con that it says they can tell me what to wear?
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:02:15 AM EDT
[#8]
I can understand alot of people's frustration over more and more government control.   I wear my seat belt when I drive and I expect anyone riding with me to wear one.   I would wear a seat belt whether it was the law or not.  That is my choice.   If you don't want to wear a selt belt while riding in your own car, that should be your choice.

The insurance company lobbyists get these sort of laws passed.  The insurance companies want to lower the amount of money they pay out in medical claims and I believe that is what got the original seat belt law passed years ago in the first place.  It's all about the money.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:57:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I can understand alot of people's frustration over more and more government control.   I wear my seat belt when I drive and I expect anyone riding with me to wear one.   I would wear a seat belt whether it was the law or not.  That is my choice.   If you don't want to wear a selt belt while riding in your own car, that should be your choice.

The insurance company lobbyists get these sort of laws passed.  The insurance companies want to lower the amount of money they pay out in medical claims and I believe that is what got the original seat belt law passed years ago in the first place.  It's all about the money.

Yep! Illinois politicians really "care" about the citizens as long as they're getting paid to do so.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:24:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
dont forget that most of the time its an easy way for the city/village to make a quick buck. they see you driving with no seat belt and bam $50 municiaple ticket. I HATE THAT!! To protect me my ass. why are motorcyclists in IL not required to wear a helmet then. just a bunch of burocratic BS.

I kinda like motorycyclist w/o helmet - I hear they're a prime source of  donor organs
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:38:34 PM EDT
[#11]
At least us motorcycle riders can now run a red light

its about time
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top