Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/11/2008 12:34:06 PM EDT
had a great time, for those who could not attend here are few photos.....
sorry about the size

Link Posted: 7/11/2008 2:33:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for the pics. I just got back and it was a great event. All of the speakers did a very good job, especially Susanna Hupp. She is a very moving speaker.
It will be interesting to see how this is handled on the news, if it is even mentioned.
Brian
Link Posted: 7/11/2008 3:26:17 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Thanks for the pics. I just got back and it was a great event. All of the speakers did a very good job, especially Susanna Hupp. She is a very moving speaker.
It will be interesting to see how this is handled on the news, if it is even mentioned.
Brian

Don't know how the other stations or later newscasts will be but it barely even got a mention at 6 PM on the Chicago ABC 7 newscast.  I heard them mention it when I was in another room and it was over before I got back in to watch it.
Link Posted: 7/11/2008 4:19:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Looks like a decent turn out. Nice work guys.
Link Posted: 7/11/2008 4:43:43 PM EDT
[#4]
I am in the third photo In between the "Rape This" and "Home Guard" signs wearing a white shirt.
Link Posted: 7/11/2008 4:57:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/11/2008 5:33:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Jeeze... wanna post those as thumbs.

You must have been right in front of me.

JR
Link Posted: 7/11/2008 5:54:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Id estimate around 800 people, some said over 1000, it was a great turn out, the speakers did a fine job. > Today we made history <
quotes from today:
"colt made everyone equal, Illinois law took that away"
"The State of Illinois trusts me to administer medication, but does not trust me to carry a gun"
I saw a little clip on CLTV, ---I cant wait for next years rally

Link Posted: 7/11/2008 6:20:24 PM EDT
[#8]
The media outlets estimate around 200 were there, and I would actually agree, give or take 50.

The space was not that big and not that full, once you got 30 feet away from the podium area (which the photos show). I stayed in the back 1/2 of the space and there were easily feet between people. People walking in and out of the center had no problem moving through the crowd as the crowd didn't fill the space with any density and didn't spill out onto the sidewalk or into the street.

I felt the turnout was disappointing, but the media was there and the speakers were excellent and I believe a few minds might have been opened a bit given the generally neutral coverage.
Link Posted: 7/11/2008 6:21:14 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Id estimate around 800 people, some said over 1000, it was a great turn out, the speakers did a fine job.

I was standing behind the ABC7 crew. I agree with your estimate in the size, but when the story ran on ABC7, they only claimed 250 were there. I have yet to see any mention of it on WGN or in the Trib. Maybe because the Trib was blasted for their "Abolish the 2nd Amendment" piece.

I'll post my pics shortly.

Mike F

P.S. I said Hi to the guy in the tan ARFCOM shirt handing out literature. I don't know who you were, but thanks for the flyer.
Link Posted: 7/11/2008 6:27:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Fox 32 just spent about 15 sec. on this story. the Iphone is getting alot more mileage than anything. Bullshit.
Brian
Link Posted: 7/11/2008 6:34:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks to everyone who has shown up.  Sorry that I couldn't go.  I am grateful that it was a class act.  If anything went wrong you probably would see about an hour of bad coverage.
Link Posted: 7/11/2008 7:51:59 PM EDT
[#12]
http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=news/local&id=6259726
I saw nothing on the 10:00. Plenty of ice cream  stories and Iphone problems. BULLSHIT. 4 people at an antigun rally get 2  min. Bullshit.
Brian
Link Posted: 7/11/2008 9:12:29 PM EDT
[#13]
The ABC news at 4PM had what seemed like a very reasonable coverage of the rally. But at 10:00 PM there was nothing.

Maybe ABC was late in getting the memo that CBS and NBC must have gotten: "This demonstration does not fit our preconceived elitist beliefs. We must pretend it did not happen."
Link Posted: 7/11/2008 9:21:41 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm in the 2nd picture all the way on the right. I'm wearing the dark shirt with the rolled up sleeves
Link Posted: 7/12/2008 6:19:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Sorry, I disagree with the estimate here.  I do a lot of events and from my experience I'm in the 500-800 category, very possibly more because some people came on early lunch hours, others came on regular noon lunch hours.
Link Posted: 7/12/2008 11:53:01 AM EDT
[#16]
I used to produce events that had between 600 and 900 people myself. Just don't see the density for that, especially in such a small space.

But, while I was there I also used the density of the seated area to estimate the total crowd. There was the seated area and a band about 20 feet behaninfd that that was densly packed. Then you had the whole rest of the plaza that was far thinner in density. Count how many people you can see in the 2nd photo, which is about 1/2 of the seated area. I count about 70 or so. You can multiply that by 2 to get 140. The band of standers immediately behind that had about another 70-100, as I recall, up to the cameras. The rest had perhaps another 70 total.

So, maybe 300.

Doesn't much matter since there was no formal headcount. The media felt 200 and, for a change, I didn't feel it was far off.

On a positive note, the press at least seemed to pay some attention and that is all that matterers. The coverage has been at least balanced, so far.

Link Posted: 7/12/2008 12:08:34 PM EDT
[#17]
I just don't understand why the estimates are so wildly different.  200-300 I can understand, but 200-1000?  These from people that were actually there?
Link Posted: 7/12/2008 2:59:51 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I just don't understand why the estimates are so wildly different.  200-300 I can understand, but 200-1000?  These from people that were actually there?

My guess was 300, I think the 1000 is just wishful thinking.

300 aint bad though, not by a long shot
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 8:02:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Doing it the hard way and counting heads in three shots of the crowed (north, central, and south) I counted at least 450 and that does not include all the folks hidden by posters and placards, nor does it include the people on the far northwest and far southwest of the plaza that were not in the shots.

Link Posted: 7/16/2008 8:55:05 AM EDT
[#20]
Here are my photos of SAFR.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 7:07:59 PM EDT
[#21]
A member from Illinoiscarry.com has been kind enough to collect and post video, audio and pictures from the site's members

www.windycitynetworks.com/clients/illinoiscarry/safr/subsite/main.htm

Suzanna's speech is  “ Lee n. field's video #8 “

Other Lee N Field files contain
video #7 Valinda Rowe the spokesperson for Illinoiscarry.com
video #9 contains various other speakers. ISRA Mike Weisman, 2nd amendment sisters Dr. Paula Bratich,  pink pistols  Doug Krick, blogger militantmarksman.com

I’ll add that Tony Peraica was there and he really got the people going !

If you look thru the pictures, there was a wide variety of people who attended.

Link Posted: 7/18/2008 3:46:22 PM EDT
[#22]
bubbahanna is the best i wish we could get an apartment together soon!!!
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:55:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Great job guys!

I wish my neighbors all the best! I really feel for ya. Every time I go visit my SIL in a Cook Co. suburb I'm always worried about getting pulled over with my gun. Although, I'm ok as long as i stay in her jurisdiction

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top