Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/6/2006 11:53:39 PM EDT
What do I buy?  Some guy at work wants an SKS.  I might have to buy two of them.  What else?

I know there's a forum here for C&R, but I want the Illinois HTF opinion.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 3:08:48 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
What do I buy?  Some guy at work wants an SKS.  I might have to buy two of them.  What else?

I just received my application yesterday, I am going to get one soon. An SKS might be nice but I regard the Garand as the ultimate C&R trophy.

When I get mine, I will order an SKS, few Mausers, 1903 Springfield and I will add to my Garand collection.

How long did it take to get the license once you sent in the paperwork?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 3:36:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Well, how deep is your wallet?      That Lic. can send you to the poor house  but what a fun trip it is.

I've had mine for 4 years now.   Nothing like ordering one of Centuries 5 you fix'em deals and having 5 rifles show up on your doorstep. And finding the only thing wrong with them is a cracked stock or a missing screw.    

congrats and enjoy!
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 4:59:07 AM EDT
[#3]
I just got my C&R end of February.  First thing I did was send out a letter to about 10 different vendors with a copy of my C&R and FOID and asked to be added to their mailing list.  Brownell's and Midway give a discount, the rest I picked vendors who sold rifles, CIA, AIM, SOG etc.  I already have a CMP Garand, and have two more on order, and the C&R doesn't do much for the CMP process.  I was just about to order from AIM, but I have to travel for work and I don't want to be out of town when the stuff arrives.   I was planning on getting a few Mosin Nagants, a Mauser, and a bunch of cheap 7.62 x 54r and 8mm ammo.

AIM Surplus Rifles
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:20:40 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
[SNIP] . . . and the C&R doesn't do much for the CMP process.
AIM Surplus Rifles

+1 on Aimsurplus.  Consider getting a K31.  I hear they are quite accurate and cheap.  Only problem is the cost and finding a supply of the ammo.

You can order Garands from the CMP and have them shipped to your door WITHOUT a C&R.  Besides, the only way to go is to pick one out in person in Port Clinton, OH.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:48:48 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I just received my application yesterday, I am going to get one soon. An SKS might be nice but I regard the Garand as the ultimate C&R trophy.

When I get mine, I will order an SKS, few Mausers, 1903 Springfield and I will add to my Garand collection.

Already have a 1903, and while a Garand is great and all, I already have an M1A, and you don't need a C&R to go to CMP anyway.  When are we going to the CMP store?

Took about 3 months.

I wonder what the chief of police in mount prospect thought when he got the application.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:27:52 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Some guy at work wants an SKS.  I might have to buy two of them.

Caution should be exercised here. The C&R FFL is not a dealers license. Selling guns to enrich you collection is permissible. What is not is ordering guns to sell to others. If your license is ever inspected it is very important to avoid any appearance of being in the business of selling firearms. I'm not sure if BATF&E has a standard of how many transfers is a violation.

Be carefull what you sell.

The recent good news (except for us in Illinois) is that all Thompson Submachine Guns ( 1921 Colts - M1 West Hurleys) are now under the C&R umbrella. Yet another reason to move to Indiana or Wisconsin.

JR
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:49:10 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I wonder what the chief of police in mount prospect thought when he got the application.

"Great, another gun nut.  Just what I need.  Where's that damn bottle of aspirin?"
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:46:26 AM EDT
[#8]
I don't have a C&R, but from what I understand from those who do, you're about to become very broke.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 11:24:16 AM EDT
[#9]
now go buy every old rifle you can find
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 1:33:18 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Caution should be exercised here. The C&R FFL is not a dealers license. Selling guns to enrich you collection is permissible. What is not is ordering guns to sell to others. If your license is ever inspected it is very important to avoid any appearance of being in the business of selling firearms. I'm not sure if BATF&E has a standard of how many transfers is a violation.

It's perfectly legal to buy C&R and dispose of them as you wish.  If I order two SKS's, keep the better of the two, and sell off the 2nd one and do not profit from it, that is not "dealing."  I don't intend to ever, "Deal" in firearms or straw purchase for anyone, but if I should choose to sell off a few firearms from my collection, it's no different than the guns I've purchased from a 01 FFL and sold.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 1:33:59 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Trouble is, I don't really want junk.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 2:29:15 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's perfectly legal to buy C&R and dispose of them as you wish.  If I order two SKS's, keep the better of the two, and sell off the 2nd one and do not profit from it, that is not "dealing."  I don't intend to ever, "Deal" in firearms or straw purchase for anyone, but if I should choose to sell off a few firearms from my collection, it's no different than the guns I've purchased from a 01 FFL and sold.

I don't disagree with what you said, but BATFE might. The fact that you mention buying 2 of them because a guy at work wants one could be interpreted as dealing guns, even if you don't profit from it.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 2:58:21 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't disagree with what you said, but BATFE might. The fact that you mention buying 2 of them because a guy at work wants one could be interpreted as dealing guns, even if you don't profit from it.

Do me a favor and stick to telling me what kind of cool guns are C&R eligible.  My mom is a lawyer...I'll let her give me the legal advice.  No offense or anything, but I'm really not worried about selling anything from my collection.  Everything in my safe is for sale to those of you on this forum that have a FOID card, comply with the law, and bring cash.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 3:32:55 PM EDT
[#14]
For someone who appears to be all knowing (at least thinks he is) why do you need
advice on what  c&r's to buy??
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 3:46:08 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
For someone who appears to be all knowing (at least thinks he is) why do you need
advice on what  c&r's to buy??

Because I've been looking around and haven't seen too much interesting stuff that is C&R.

I do know the law regarding sales of firearms, it's just picking which ones that seems to be the problem.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 3:57:27 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

you call it junk.....I call it a rifle with character  

I would rather have a rifle that looks like it has seen some shit .....than a new one that has been sitten in a box it's entire life
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 4:23:08 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would rather have a rifle that looks like it has seen some shit .....than a new one that has been sitten in a box it's entire life

Me too.  I just want things that are fun shooters.  I'm not interested in some rusty crap that is too dangerous to shoot.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:12:22 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Already have a 1903, and while a Garand is great and all, I already have an M1A, and you don't need a C&R to go to CMP anyway.  When are we going to the CMP store?

Took about 3 months.

I am BURIED in work right now. Our busy season started about six weeks early this year (a good problem to have I guess) I want to go to the CMP store but maybe in a couple of month.

Who besides me, Tim84K10 and Silascobb wanna go Garand shoppin'?

We could be like the movie convoy (minus the CW McCall Soundtrack)

I loved the Rubber Duck as a kid. Too bad as an adult I had to learn in real life hte Rubber Duck is a Commie piece of shit
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:14:45 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah me too, and I'd rather have a 69 Camaro that is a shit box rusting off the sub frame instead of a cherry 427 Yenko in hugger orange.

Safe and operable rifles = good
Junk rifles that some third world shit hole used for tire chocks=bad
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:15:27 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah me too, and I'd rather have a 69 Camaro that is a shit box rusting off the sub frame instead of a cherry 427 Yenko in hugger orange.

well that is a whole other story.......I'm talking rifles with no finnish ...a shitty old rusted car is a little bit of a diff.
P.S ......I don't like camaros but I would love to have a 1969 Dodge Charger with a General Lee paint job..........just for the redneck in me
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:17:01 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Man, you read my mind.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 11:58:44 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

well that is a whole other story.......I'm talking rifles with no finnish ...a shitty old rusted car is a little bit of a diff.
P.S ......I don't like camaros but I would love to have a 1969 Dodge Charger with a General Lee paint job..........just for the redneck in me

I love General Lee's.  There is a dealer in Lake Villa that sells them. Who knows how trashed they are or how much they are but I drive past them sometimes. They are on Rte 132.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:30:29 PM EDT
[#23]
yea I see thoes in the free car & truck trader......they cost from 10,000-22,000
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top