Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/29/2005 7:33:07 AM EDT
I received this request from one of my co-workers whose friend is serving in Iraq. I was wondering if any of you might have some suggestions on whom we can forward this E-mail to try and get this situation resolved. All of the details are in the E-mail message below. I was hoping you might have some suggestions on this. It's already been sent to Rod R. Blagojevich, Richard J. Durbin , Pat Quinn and Lisa Madigan. Thanks. mack

Here is a copy of his email you can use it when sending emails to the
politicians or any one else you think can help thanks....

My name is SSG Daniel S. Peet, and I am a member of the Illinois National Guard, currently serving in Iraq. I have a serious issue I need your help with.
I was originally assigned to B company 1/178 infantry battalion. In June, 2004, I was backfilled into B company 1/131 infantry and activated and deployed to Fort Polk, Louisiana. On 1 May 2005, I left for Fort Carson, Colorado, having volunteered to train Iraqi special police with the MNSTC-I.

I have been with an eight man SPTT (Special Police Transition Team) for 4 months now. I have just received an email informing me that my orders coming to Iraq are invalid. I have been demobilized with the 1/131 when they returned from Louisiana, and my pay has stopped. This applies to all of us who volunteered to come to Iraq. DFAS has been unable to rectify the situation, and CPATT and FORSCOM are both involved, but I have been informed that nobody over here can fix this. The solution has to come from the Illinois National Guard. The solution coming from the Illinois Guard seems to be that it would be easier to simply demobilize us and send us home than to fix these clerical errors. I don't know if I speak for everyone, but I know I speak for SSG Connolly, SSG Perkins, SSG Erickson, and me (SSG Peet).

Removing us from our teams at this time is unacceptable. We just lost several men two days ago, and we were understrength to begin with. Removing us from our teams will render 3rd POB SPTT dangerously understrength, and endanger our comerades we would be leaving behind. The deadline we have been given is 3 OCT 2005. If the paperwork is not fixed by then we are supposed to be heading home. This is ridiculous. Our pay situation will take months to fix, but that isn't the main issue. We need to have orders validating our presence on this current mission. I find it ridiculous that I have to spend time dealing with this issue when we have so many other things to do right now. Our brigade SPTT has enough to deal with regarding our recent KIA and WIA, we should not have to be dealing with the threat of losing ten percent of our remaining strength due to a clerical error. I really need your help at this time, because I doubt much can be done in my immediate chain of command due to our battle losses on 26 SEP 2005. I lost some good friends that day, and I will not abandon those who remain.
Thank you for your time,
SSG Daniel S. Peet
3rd POB BDE SPTT
FOB Rustamiyah
APO AE 09390
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 8:38:14 AM EDT
[#1]
SSG Peet needs to learn to comply with his orders and leave his opinion out of it.  Shit happens sometimes in the Army, and the internet and getting politicians involved is not the way to solve your problems.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:40:00 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
SSG Peet needs to learn to comply with his orders and leave his opinion out of it.  Shit happens sometimes in the Army, and the internet and getting politicians involved is not the way to solve your problems.

+1 orders are orders
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 3:10:45 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm afraid he just stepped on his crank.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 11:37:27 PM EDT
[#4]
As a prior Sgt. in B. Co. 2/130th INF, ILARNG, all I have to say is goodluck.  Something like that sounds like would take about 3 months to correct if it has to come from state level.

I'm waiting on discharge paperwork myself, maybe I'll get it someday.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 6:41:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Update:SSG Daniel Peet and crew's orders have been validated as of Friday October 1st, with the assistance of Illinois congress critter Melissa Bean (8th District). Dan and crew will be staying in Iraq to complete their original mission.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top