Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/3/2005 10:14:05 AM EDT
OK, I gotta sign a new lease in about 6 weeks and have decided I have no interest in stay in the current crap apartment I am in.  

Here are my two opitions:

1.  Move back to "Brittany Courts" where I used to live.  The upside:  A bunch of my firends live there, it is close to my parents and my band, I have already lived there and love the place.  The downside:  It would add about 10-15 minutes to my drive to work, and traffic can be a real bitch some mornings.

2.  Move somewhere closer to work in Naperville.  The upside:  Cut my drive in half (50 minutes to 25 minutes).  the downside:  Live in Naperhell (suburban nightmare fo apartments and traffic), will end up driving out to 'Brittany Cts' many nights to visit people, , apartments could be great or could turn out to suck (i.e. "great unkown")

Cost on the places I am looking at are all about the same.

House is not an option, money issues.  Additionally, I may eventually leave my job at some point, as I have come to the conclusion there is zero room for advancement, and the healthcare coverage is just short of 'don't get sick.'  May be six months, may be a year+, don't know.

Poll to follow.  Going to go to a few complexes this afternoon to check them out.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 2:35:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 4:24:19 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I say brittany courts.  If you get a house and have to drive the 25 minutes to get to brittany court to see friends, family, and "the band", then you aren't gonna save all that much by driving the extra 10-15 minutes from brittany to work.

Exactly what I realized this afternoon!

I went and checked out some Naperville apartments and was...disappointed.  Basically they fall in to two groups:  Renovated 600-700 sqft 1 bed apts. from the 1960's for $850/mo  and new construction 750-850 sqft 1 bed for $1000+ mo and insane ammenities.

Brittany courts is $910/mo for a 2 bed 1 bath and is 830 sqft with luandry and dishwasher in the apt.  A no brainer once I thought about it!  Plus I already knoew the management is good, so even more reason to go back.  Hoefully they will have one available for when I need to move!

[eta]  besides, with a 2 bed, if I find a roomie I can cut my rent in half at some point, or at least have a gun and guitar room in the meantime!
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 9:43:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Brittany Courts.

The couple minutes more driving most likely won't add up to the amount of money spent in Naperville.

Besides, you'll know people. Isn't that saying something in the Burbs of Shitcago?

WIZZO
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 1:55:20 AM EDT
[#4]
i'm biased. I'll abstain from this discussion.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:31:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 9:44:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Put a deposit down at Brittany Cts yesteday.  Good thing, too, they only had 1 apt. left and 10 minutes after I got there a couple came in and wanted ti, but it was alrady held by me.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 4:10:57 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
i'm biased. I'll abstain from this discussion.

You just love brittany courts, right?

I don't even know where the heck they are
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 9:37:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:48:05 PM EDT
[#9]
So, Dawg, when's the ARFCOM housewarming party?

J/K with you.

Link Posted: 9/7/2005 5:47:30 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I say brittany courts.  If you get a house and have to drive the 25 minutes to get to brittany court to see friends, family, and "the band", then you aren't gonna save all that much by driving the extra 10-15 minutes from brittany to work.

I went and checked out some Naperville apartments and was...disappointed.  Basically they fall in to two groups:  Renovated 600-700 sqft 1 bed apts. from the 1960's for $850/mo  and new construction 750-850 sqft 1 bed for $1000+ mo and insane ammenities.

Brittany courts is $910/mo for a 2 bed 1 bath and is 830 sqft with luandry and dishwasher in the apt.  A no brainer once I thought about it!  Plus I already knoew the management is good, so even more reason to go back.  Hoefully they will have one available for when I need to move!

[eta]  besides, with a 2 bed, if I find a roomie I can cut my rent in half at some point, or at least have a gun and guitar room in the meantime!

Wow, I don't think I'll be moving up there any time soon.
Just so you know what it's like downstate, I pay less than any of your options for:
5 acres
1/4 acre pond
1500 sf. newly remodeled home
125 yd. range in my backyard that I can shoot anything in
1 neigbor inside a mile
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 6:02:24 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just so you know what it's like downstate, I pay less than any of your options for:
5 acres
1/4 acre pond
1 neigbor inside a mile

Yeah, but how many architecture firms specializing in libraries, hospitals, and/or churches do you have within 30 minutes of where you live?

Seriously though, if it weren't for my band and my firends I would move out of state to somewhere more affordable (and with class III 'privieleges').  Unfortunately, due to the aforementioned and the fact that swithcing states of residence in the middle of getting licensed as an Architect is a b*tch I will be staying aroudn here for now.

I did look into townhomes, but the cheapest around here is $150k, and I would have been reaaally stretching it and living month to month with no emergency funds to pull that off.  Let me just say that having your transmission give out on your car and bad health with poor health insurance will keep you a renter slave for a while as I have found out.

About the only way I can figure to afford a house around here is either win the lottery or marry a girl with the same amount of savings as me or who is rich!
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:09:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:58:17 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

5 acres
1/4 acre pond
1 neigbor inside a mile

How far south? I'm looking for property.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 6:39:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Good luck with the move.

Personally, I've come to believe the best place to live in Illinois is Indiana.

Larry
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:40:44 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

5 acres
1/4 acre pond
1 neigbor inside a mile

How far south? I'm looking for property.

No JBT's allowed

Rantoul 10 miles north of the fastest growing city in downstate
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:43:24 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

5 acres
1/4 acre pond
1 neigbor inside a mile

And you haven't invited us all down yet?  Thats just rude.

IM me, I really should do something out here.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top