Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/7/2004 1:31:49 PM EDT
What is the largest folder that I can carry legally ?  I assume there is a maximum blade length, but is there a maximum overall length as well ?  I want to be in full compliance with IL law.  All advice is appreciated.   Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/8/2004 9:54:16 AM EDT
[#1]
I've heard every theory on this imaginable--from the "width of your palm" theory to blade length.

I carry a small (3") folder everyday. Some people carry sheath folders. Survey crews carry machetes.

When I was younger, and had frequent "encounters" with the police (and usually had several knives), I would just tell the cop if I was carrying (assuming he had a need to know).

I've never seen a law about the legality of carrying a knife. UUW makes it illegal to carry a knife to use unlawfully against someone, and also outlaws switchblades, but says nothing about length.

Perhaps our ARFCOM legal eagles will come along to enlighten us shortly.
Link Posted: 8/8/2004 4:35:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Snojet, don't quote me on this, but I think it's 4 inches. Not at all sure though.
Link Posted: 8/8/2004 5:50:40 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Snojet, don't quote me on this, but I think it's 4 inches. Not at all sure though.

+1
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 9:03:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Snojet, local ordinances in IL are all over the map concerning knives. That is a real problem, too, as I don't know how you would ever research every town, village, or city you would travel to. Oh, and government subsidized housing has a restriction of I think 2 1/4", but don't quote me on that as I don't have access right now to the statute. By the way I like cold steel knives, as they are sharp as hell, strong, and they don't cost an arm and a leg. edited for spelling
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 9:52:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks Recon.  Did you ever get that manual translated ?   Get me a copy and I'll get it translated.
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 10:34:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for reminding me, I had forgotten about it. How are the 3 gun matches going?
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 12:19:00 PM EDT
[#7]
The 2 I tried to go to were cancelled.  And I've been doing other stuff this summer.  So,  maybe next year ! !   ha ha  I hope to see you at Buffalo in a few weeks ! !
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 3:21:04 PM EDT
[#8]
There is no prohibition under Illinois law regarding blade length. Switchblades are a no-no unless you are military/leo. Check the Illinois Compiled Statutes for more info. The info about knives falls under the Unlawful Use of Weapons statute. As mentioned earlier the local ordinances vary from town to town.  
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 1:46:15 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
There is no prohibition under Illinois law regarding blade length. Switchblades are a no-no unless you are military/leo. Check the Illinois Compiled Statutes for more info. The info about knives falls under the Unlawful Use of Weapons statute. As mentioned earlier the local ordinances vary from town to town.  

+1

There is some suburb that banned the carrying of knives. I saw screw them! I carry my Kershaw Blackout every where I go. Only damn thing we can carry in this state.

Funny story, call it last X-mas, buddy of mine and I went to a movie in Evanston with a FBI friend on his. I wanted to give the FBI buddy a hard time cuz I heard he was anti-gunish so I asked him if he was packing. He tells me he's packing the same thing I am. Kershaw.

I'm like what, you can carry and all you got is a pocket knife!!! He's like yeah I work Chicago not evanston.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top