Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/24/2003 11:42:08 AM EDT
Anyone heard anything about it lately. Iknow it has ben pushed back unti 12/31/03, but any news?
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 11:43:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Legislature's out of session right now, I don't think they'll be back to work until October.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 12:42:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Hell,  I'm gonna run for office ! ! !    Snojet for governor ! ! !    Where's my interns ! ! !
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 2:19:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Out til October? What the hell do these guys get paid for? Oh Yeah to screw us.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 6:25:22 PM EDT
[#4]
LoL they wanna make sure and avoid the state fair road work
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 6:20:58 PM EDT
[#5]
I doubt they will even call it--we've handed them their heads, and they took too many losses with the frontal assault.

What I would expect is to see them try to sneak it in on the back of other legislation. That seems to be the tactic du jour for the antis right now. Well, when they get back in session, I mean.

GreenDragon, your thoughts?
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 8:30:48 PM EDT
[#6]
I wouldn't be to confident, don't forget that the shitbirds control everything. i would expect them to tack it onto some education or anti-terroism Bill. They will probably wait until all the shit blows over from all the increased fees and mass exodus of businesses leaving IL onced Blogobitch's welfare enhancement and political appointment budget of 2003 passes. Heard rumors that are car registration may be going up again.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 8:06:19 PM EDT
[#7]
SB1195 seems to still be alive until Dec 31. I think they realized that it was in trouble, so they gave it the major deadline extension. It met overwhelming opposition. They knew that they didn't have time to fix it or schmooz/threaten their fellow legislators. They were more worried about passing a budget and going home for the summer.

It looks like they can proceed under the current bill number(SB1195). I assume they can also gut an existing bill and slip in SB1195 language. I expect them to try both. I don't think that they'll try real hard, or that they will get anywhere with it. They'll be trying to clean up Blojo's mess, finish the year's business and head home for the holidays. I do expect them to hit it hard with a vengeance the first part of 2004. This is not something that will go away, no matter how hard we kick them in the teeth.

The bill to keep an eye on is SB0947, the gunshow bill. Alot of time and effort has been put into this sucker. Type in SB1195 and SB0947. Compare the amount of work that was done on both, the number of sponsors, etc. If I were a betting man, I'd say they were going to ramrod this through.

They have a minor victory with HB312, making attempting to purchase illegally the same as actually doing it. They'll be able to stand at the podium and claim a major accomplishment with this. In their eyes, any law passed is more than what they started out with. Even though we kicked their asses this go around, they'll tell the evening news that they were successful in passing gun control.

As far as I can tell, they will be in session Oct 23, Nov 4,5,6,18,19,20. Oct 23 is a Perfunctionary session, not all members need to be present. For those that are interested in what this day is and what can happen on it.
www.legis.state.il.us/ Go to Senate, then Rules, when the file comes up, go to page 15. It's Article IV Senate Rule 4-1(a),(c), and (d).
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 10:16:45 PM EDT
[#8]
dc, I agree that they will try to sneak it in the back door if they do it at all. I really hope fees do go up; legislative elections are coming next year. Rod and Daley will be castrated if they lose the majority on either side, though the House is not likely to fall too easily.

GreenDragon, good summary, as usual. Frankly, I'd probably support HB312. I think you're right about SB0947. I KNOW you're right about 2004. My only question is, do you think Daley will be politically astute this time, and try to outflank us, or do you think his ego will get the best of him and he'll launch another frontal assault?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top