Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/14/2003 10:01:22 AM EDT
Happened to be browsing the Illinois State Police website and came across this:

www.isp.state.il.us/crime/saconfronted.htm

Defend yourself with your nail file, but for god's sake, don't use a gun!
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 9:43:17 PM EDT
[#1]
What a bunch of fruitcakes!
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 9:02:53 AM EDT
[#2]
I am surprised they don't recommend asking your attacker to please use a condom. What a F-ng joke. I somehow think Glock would be better than a rat tail comb, but what do you expect with the assholes who run this state now. I really need to move.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 3:17:11 PM EDT
[#3]
I am so glad I am in Indiana now. I am sorry for all of you in Illinois still. Did any of you hear about the guys who shot someone stealing his car, with an unregistered pistol, and they arrested him. They let him go, but confiscated his pistol.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 3:29:54 PM EDT
[#4]
IF I were a criminal and you stabbed me with a nail file, that would make me mad enough to "get medievil" on your butt.

Link Posted: 6/16/2003 2:01:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Make yourself vomit?  LOL, that's a funny one.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 3:24:11 AM EDT
[#6]
That's stupid.  Who came up with that garbage?

"Hold on Mr. BadGuy, let me get a nail file out of my bag, meanwhile, watch me stick my finger down my throat"
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 8:03:41 AM EDT
[#7]
If You Are Confronted...    

Before you fight

Fighting for your safety may be necessary. However, if you start out fighting you cancel any other options that might be open to you. Since many attacks on women are not sexually motivated, and are designed to degrade and humiliate, talking your way out of it may be easier.

There is documentation of assailants that left a would-be-victim alone after she told him that she was pregnant and it would kill her baby. (Some case were women that were too old to even have a baby.)
Telling an attacker that you have VD or AIDS can discourage him.
It may sound disgusting, but putting your fingers into you throat and making yourself vomit usually gets results. (This method is not often used except as a last resort.)
Use your imagination and you can think of others.

The above methods are particularly important if your assailant has a gun or knife, or there is more than one attacker. (Fighting would probably be futile.)

If you must fight

Use of a firearm to protect yourself or property is not recommended.

Guns stolen from residences are a primary way of getting guns into the hands of criminals.
Half of all the women that fire a gun trying to protect themselves shoot someone they do not want to, i.e. friend, neighbors, relatives, etc.
Be aware of those times and places where there is a potential for attack and be prepared to defend yourself.
parking lots
walking at night
waiting for a bus
elevators
other you will learn to recognize

Articles common to your handbag that make useful defense weapons.

nail file
rat tail comb
teasing brush
pens and pencils
keys
anything rigid

Concentrate on these areas only when combating an assailant.

groin
eyes
ears
nose
throat

You should not swing at an assailant. Roundhouse or overhand blows are easy to deflect or evade. Your movements should be made with all your strength, and should be straight jabs. Remember that screaming may be just as important to your defense as any weapon.

Link Posted: 6/16/2003 10:25:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Sounds like a good way to promote Darwinism.  Good job, Illinois State Police!
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 2:46:52 PM EDT
[#9]
We DO need fewer stupid people in this state!
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 9:32:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Damn IL makes me sick.  Making me feel better I'm not there anymore.  Georgia ain't perfect but at least Gov.Org down here (outside of Atlanta anyway) doesn't even have the balls to make a dumb ass suggestion like that.  It's nice to have loaded gun in my car and NOT be a felon.  Hopefully things will change one of these days up there.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 9:53:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Well, you have there a police written giude that says "Only us police are allowed to shoot in self defense"

Why is it most State police forces are starting to become antigun/pussies ?

Link Posted: 6/28/2003 7:32:56 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm embarrassed that someone would take the time to write and display some stupid shit like this. My wife would fight to the end.  She's a warrior.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top