Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2017 3:35:35 PM EDT
any horticultural experts here?
I just ripped out a dead tree and thought it would be cool to replace it with some sort of fruit tree.

I really like limes in my drinks so thought that might be a great choice. Doing a tiny bit of reading i see that star nursery recommends potting citrus here so they can be brought inside and not die during winter freezes. So would this just be a stupid choice to plant in the ground here?

then on some places like reddit and other random forums i see a few people who's trees are doing just fine.

I also see that meyers lemons and pomegranates do well here but i'm not crazy about pomegranates and I've never tried a meyers lemon or know how well it would mix with whiskey and gingerbeer or in a margarita.

What should i stick in my hole?
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 4:50:59 PM EDT
[#1]
A guy I work with has a huge ass lemon tree in his backyard.  He brings in big bags of lemons all the time.  I will ask him.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 5:51:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I've had two lemon trees for over 35 years. I forget the species but they are thin skinned lemons and not as tart as supermarket lemons. However, they only produce in the fall.

Nonetheless, they're delicious and I share them with my friends and neighbors.

ETA: I'm sure a lime tree would do just as well.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 6:11:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've had two lemon trees for over 35 years. I forget the species but they are thin skinned lemons and not as tart as supermarket lemons. However, they only produce in the fall.

Nonetheless, they're delicious and I share them with my friends and neighbors.

ETA: I'm sure a lime tree would do just as well.
View Quote
meyers lemons?
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 6:49:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Not sure, Obo. I've had that tree almost as long as I've lived here.

They are ridiculously good, though.

I'll give you some when it produces in the fall.

ETA: I looked up Meyer Lemons and mine look similar to these....

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 2:08:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Went to moon valley and stars today. Moon valley has nice lime trees designed for this area and said they do well here. They are a little spendy though.

Stars selection was a little more sparse and the trees didn't look as healthy.

I think we might just go with pomegranates as they do great here and are one of the easiest fruits to grow. Citrus trees are pretty slow growing and take longer to produce fruit and i think we won't be here past 5 years or so.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 1:04:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Vegas is zone 9 for growing and lemons/limes start at around zone 9. So they'll grow and live, but know some years you might not get fruit due to conditions.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 3:35:35 PM EDT
[#7]
No trees but we have two lime and two lemon bushes.  They all grow very well and produce great fruit. We have them against the East wall of our house.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:15:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Anyone do a fruit salad tree?

Moon valley has one with apricot plum and peaches.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 11:43:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Anyone do a fruit salad tree?

Moon valley has one with apricot plum and peaches.
View Quote
I've got one. We bought it from star nursey. Planted it right at the beginning of summer.  It had a few peaches on it when we bought it, but with the hot ass summer, it just accelerated their ripening and they didn't grow very big.  It's doing fine in partial to full sun.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 2:47:30 PM EDT
[#10]

Left is a donut peach right is lime. Still need to fix the rocks a little better and bury the drip lines and stake.

Lime probably won't get too big. Had a hell of a hole dug getting up the stump and the larger roots. Lot of good amended soil mixed pretty deep. They should do well and star gives you a year in case they die.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 1:48:16 PM EDT
[#11]
We have a large Meyer lemon tree/bush only produces fruit in fall. We do get a large bounty every year.

I have a lime tree in a large pot for the last 5 years. Grows well but never produces fruit.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 3:11:40 PM EDT
[#13]
I had seen the tip of using christmas lights to keep the citrus from freezing in the winter. That little lime tree will probably be pretty funny with christmas lights on it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top