Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/1/2010 6:25:41 AM EDT
Needing a .308 auto loader this is what I'm narrowed down to.  Much as I'd love to do "all the above" resources don't allow for that at this time.
FN AR + optic and perhaps a can for an AR
SCAR 17s
Noveske AR10

Anybody played with the above, or better yet, have one available for fondling?  I've seen a lot of great reviews on the FNAR, biggest down side is the lack of iron sights (I understand the barrel is tapped near the front to add a block to support a front sight) and $40 magazines.  

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 7:33:27 AM EDT
[#1]
How about the new LMT .308 AR?  I recently got to shoot one and it was very impressive.  LMT is know for producing extremely high quality AR's.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 7:51:18 AM EDT
[#2]
American Shooters has a LWRC REPR.  you may want to stop by and check it out.

Jay
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 7:52:19 AM EDT
[#3]
I've got one at my disposal.  Fluted 20" barrel, no taps for a front sight.  Railed on top for a scope with three rails up front.
Still new in box unfired so I can't speak for its abilities.
Very cool firearm...
I'm up north.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 8:46:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Wife permitting I'd get the larue OBR
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 11:49:06 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm saving up for a SCAR 17S. It'll go nicely with my 16S, which is an MOA shooter thus far. Those REPRs are nice too.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 3:43:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
American Shooters has a LWRC REPR.  you may want to stop by and check it out.

Jay

Those are bad ass.  I have the 10.5 m6a2 and it's a sweet lil shooter.  The REPR is my next LWRC.  Now I just have to decide if I really need another 308 battle rifle 3Gs worth.    With a new baby at home it's a tough sell.
If you haven't handled the REPR you should.  The fire controls make a huge difference.  Huge improvement over standard ar IMHO
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 12:30:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Well, I decided to pull an audible and went with a Springfield M1A MA9829.  Loaded model w/ stainless bbl and green plastic stock.  Was looking pretty hard at the AR10 style setups and liked the DPMS platform with the Pmag availability but the more I looked at the M1A/M14 platform, the more I liked the looks of it.  Granted the mags cost twice as much, but such is life.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:48:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Very Nice
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 9:31:39 AM EDT
[#9]
good choice
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 12:14:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Well done. I've had at least one M1A for the last 20+yrs, so they're not the latest greatest to me, but dang it they never fail and mine is a good 600yd rifle with irons.
Get CMI mags wherever you can find them, they're GTG. And of course now you have to join the M14 boards =  http://m14tfl.com/upload/  and www.rifle-company.com
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 3:11:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Also substantially cheaper than some of your other options.  
See how frugle you are...now go buy ammo!
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 11:56:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Not that it matters but this is probably my next major purchasePOF 308      Only thing I'm not really crazy about is the rail system, but reviews on accuracy and reliability are fantastic..

Edicut
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 5:19:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Already got 3 mags on order from 44Mag ($27 ea. so they aren't too bad) and I'm shopping around for components to load.  Probably try loading up some Hornady 168 HPBT and some cheap Winchester 147 FMJ stuff.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 5:52:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Not that it matters but this is probably my next major purchasePOF 308      Only thing I'm not really crazy about is the rail system, but reviews on accuracy and reliability are fantastic..

Edicut

POF is coming out with a new rail system soon!!! Check this out.

and this.

One more.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:27:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:35:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Already got 3 mags on order from 44Mag ($27 ea. so they aren't too bad) and I'm shopping around for components to load.  Probably try loading up some Hornady 168 HPBT and some cheap Winchester 147 FMJ stuff.

Gunna use this for your cow elk this year?
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 10:04:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Gunna use this for your cow elk this year?

I thought about it, however, I don't anticipate getting it scoped until after the new year.  The irons are national match style so the rear aperture is on the small side and ain't the best for lower light dawn/dusk stuff as I understand it.  I'll play with it and see if I need to put a GI rear aperture on it.  Regardless of sights though, as soon as the weather cools a bit more I'm going to have to try taking it calling.

WooHoo!  As I type this I got an email pop-up from Bud's that the order is in shipped status.  
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 10:49:46 AM EDT
[#18]
I had an M1A that gave me fits.  The first time I took it out the oprod bent and I had to send it back to Springfield.  To their credit they fixed it right away and the thing shot really well after that.  I had an opportunity to trade it for a NIB Sig P210 and I took it.  I will get back into the 308 game one day but I will probably try find a deal on an SR 25 or barring that EPR.  I have an LWRC M6 and it is great so if I can't find a deal on an SR 25 I will grab one of those.  I would grab the SCAR 17 if they make one with a longer barrel for distance shooting.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 12:50:41 PM EDT
[#19]
BroncoGlenn,

Nice choice. My M1A is my only .308 rifle, and i intend to scope it as well. You'll need a quality mount and rings; I have the Sadlak Industries Airborne mountand Badger mediums. This combo with a USGI stock will allow up to a 50mm objective. Sadlak makes both aluminum or steel mounts.  You can also consider Smith Enterprise for mounts.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 1:22:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top