Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/13/2009 7:38:26 PM EDT
Seems the tub bearing on our '98 Maytag Dependable Care [sic] is going out. It has a delightful squeal during the spin cycle, and almost burnt up a belt.

Worth fixing? If so, any recommended repair people/companies?

Thanks in advance. What a terrible time of year for appliance shopping.
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 8:57:11 AM EDT
[#1]
North or South?
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 9:07:44 AM EDT
[#2]
I've never fixed a washer, but did the dryer, so this info might not be accurate. Sears has repair kits (or preventative maintenance kits) for $40ish.  The instructions are pretty easy to follow.  I had my dryer fully disassembled and had all wear parts replaced. I am assuming that such kits are available for washers.
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 9:31:53 PM EDT
[#3]
D'oh, forgot to say - south!

We priced parts and tools needed online at $155 (Maytag wrench needed, and best to replace tub seals if you're doing the bearing). My worry is that we'll get it all done, and the transmission will go out in 2 months (add $170).
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 10:22:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
D'oh, forgot to say - south!

We priced parts and tools needed online at $155 (Maytag wrench needed, and best to replace tub seals if you're doing the bearing). My worry is that we'll get it all done, and the transmission will go out in 2 months (add $170).

If that happens then you might as well just buy a new one and have them truck the old one away.
Link Posted: 12/15/2009 9:36:01 AM EDT
[#5]
I do some repairs of this nature for CCSD. Considering the age of the machine, parts, tools and labor, I would look for a new machine...even if it was my own.
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 10:36:42 AM EDT
[#6]
New is starting to sound like the wiser choice...thank you for the info.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top