Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/4/2009 6:25:06 AM EDT
Anybody in the Vegas area that has a SW1911 PD that would want to get together for some shooting?  I'm considering one of these guns, am especially interested in the scandium frame railed model.  I'll bring ammo
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:36:55 AM EDT
[#1]
I had one....no I had 6 of them. It got returned 6 times and each time they gave me a new gun and it had issues. Hammer wouldnt fall when you pull the trigger, it had nasty galling of the steel slide, or safeties that fell off, nightsights that fell off from firing. Keep in mind this was a non scandium version. So maybe others can chime in. I do have a Springfield Armory FBI HRT 1911 if you wanna try...
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 3:17:57 PM EDT
[#2]
If I still had mine, I would meet up with you.  However, I sold it not because there was anything wrong with it, but because compared to my Wilson Combat, Ed Brown, and custom Rock River 1911s, it was the least collectible.  But I have to say, unlike the person who posted above this reply, I had no problems with it.  Lots of nice features and back when I bought mine, you could get one for around $700.  $700 with a lightweight frame, commander hammer, extended thumb safety, beavertail safety, novak 3 dot sights, lightweight serrated trigger, flat mainspring housing, full-length guide rod, beveled magwell, front cocking serrations (which I like for chamber checks), and I forget what other features...

The only "problem" I guess it has is the external extractor, but unlike Kimber's problems with their own version of that kind of extractor, S&W's actually worked, at least for me...
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 4:26:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah The S&W 1911 never had an ejection problems even with the external extractor. Unlike Kimber, they actually got it right.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:02:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys.  I've got a S&W Performance Center 1911, but it's in a different leage than their regular production guns.

I'm curious as to what sort of difference in felt recoil the scandium frame offers over the steel and how it affects split times and such.

I like the blackened melonite stainless S&W is using on their guns.  Figgure for a duty gun where it gets exposed to weather, sweat, spilled coffee, etc, it'd offer good corrosion protection.  

I've also been looking at the S&W 1911 that is a series 70 style (no firing pin block) with titanium firing pin (ala Springfield).  It's stainless melonite, top and bottom.  I'd have to add a rail ($100 or so from Dawson+smithing) and a mag well ($80).  Looks like it has some kind of vertical cuts on the front strap, I'm guessing the standard cuts S&W puts on all their regular autos

Thing I like about S&W is if there is a problem they cover shipping both ways should there be a problem.  Heck, my PC1911 had the windage screw in the Wilson Combat rear sight loose its head.  Wilson said they'd send me a screw if I thought I could get the old one out, or I could send them the sight and they'd fix it.  Called S&W and they sent me a prepaid mailer and I had the gun back the next week.

S&W has been doing external extractors for a few decades now so I've got no worries with extractor related issues from that standpoint.

While I appreciate the offer the Springfield FBI HRT gun, that's a bit out of my price range.  Thought about doing another PC1911 but I want to stay under $1,000.  Just gotta work on siphoning off some of my overtime checks before the wife gets ahold of them.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 10:13:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Oh got a wife? That complicates things...

The Performance Center guns are totally different that the regular production guns. Gunsmiths and customer service are totally separate from regular S&W service. If you ever have problems ask for a gunsmith named Vito. Yeah I know...sounds like straight out of a gangsta movie....but he took care of US Customs Service weapons back when they still used the S&W autos.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top